• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC ever left you stranded?

LanceK

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone ever have their NC break down on them? If so what happened? We’re you able to get it going again, or did it require a tow?

In ten years riding my NC, and sometimes being as for as 3000 miles from home, my NC has never broken down on the road or stranded me. I once ran out of gas, but then I just pulled over and dumped in another gallon of gas from the RotopaX can I had with me. No problem.

However, that is a good question, and I look forward to reading others’ experiences.

Nothing yet from the NC's fault @21k mi.

It did blow over in a wind storm and broke the clutch lever off, yes it blew over the kickstand. $6 for a new lever and it was back to good.

I had a motorcycle, ‘94 Vulcan if I remember correctly, blow over once. I had a cover over it which just acted like a parachute… Not my most intelligent moment.

Not yet. I’ve run out of gas twice but that was my fault. One time on the 2015 DCT I was back in the woods a ways and I stopped and took a break off the bike. When I started the bike to leave the engine turned over slowly then the solenoid clicked a few times and the engine wouldn’t turn over at all. I checked the battery connections but they were clean and tight. I tried to start it again and it cranked slowly and just when I thought the solenoid would open again it came to life. Wonderful sound. The battery was original with about 3 years use. I bought a new battery on the way home.

Wiley hasn't stranded me, though it's only been a decade since I bought it new. (-:

The battery tried to strand me once. Luckily I was at the shop and had a way to apply auxiliary cranking power, but that was not to do with the bike, in my view. Batteries just don't last long here, whether in bikes, cars, heavy equipment, or whatever. I've learned since then that Wiley talks to me when the battery is getting near the end of its life. I didn't know how to interpret the yips and barks at first, but now I do. So really, the bike tries to help me _avoid_ this problem now that I've learned its language.

Last weekend I was crossing from the US into Canada. It was a long line of cars, and after a while, because it’s a waste to idle, I decided to cut the engine using the kill switch between short moves forward. Unfortunately I didn’t turn the key to the off position because after about 45 minutes, the engine refused to start. I had to walk the bike to the immigration agent when it was finally my turn.

Then I parked my bike past the checkpoint and tried to figure out what to do. Luckily, a fellow traveller came through with a jump start before my call to CAA was picked up.

Now I’m thinking I should maybe buy a new battery, although I also shouldn’t leave the lights on without the engine for long periods of time like that again.

I had a weird issue which caused my fuel sensor to stop indicating a depleting fuel level. Died going down a long hill, was able to safely pull off onto a side road. No shoulder.

After calling my now-wife to rescue me with a fuel can, I drove it to the dealership. They drained and refilled my tank and said it wasn't covered under warranty because they didn't find anything wrong. To their credit, it certainly has not caused issue since.

Later I would accidentally get my revenge for more than what I paid after I had them install some electrical doodads. I told them I had a wiring sub-harness (I did) and when the other parts arrived it turned out I needed a different sub-harness. They paid for that and knocked off some of the labor charge because I didn't freak out on them but didn't hide my disappointment.

So, no. Not really. 2017 with 56k so far. All is well that rides well

Catastrophic failure of the rear wheel bearing at ~48,000 miles. I had to spend most of the day in a Kansas City Honda Dealer (https://www.advantagepowersports.com/). They went above and beyond sourcing bearings and installing them for me.

May have been my fault. I noticed the rear shock leaking early on in a 2 week trip. Instead of replacing it while on the road or turning around, I continued with the trip. Two days before the bearings went, the shock gave all she had. Two days from home, while on the interstate about a mile from my hotel and luckily Advantage Powersports, the rear bearings disintegrated. I have no idea what shape the bearings were in before the shock went. It's not outside the realm of reasonableness for them to go at that age. I just know that the shock probably made it worse.

Catastrophic failure of the rear wheel bearing at ~48,000 miles. I had to spend most of the day in a Kansas City Honda Dealer (https://www.advantagepowersports.com/). They went above and beyond sourcing bearings and installing them for me.

May have been my fault. I noticed the rear shock leaking early on in a 2 week trip. Instead of replacing it while on the road or turning around, I continued with the trip. Two days before the bearings went, the shock gave all she had. Two days from home, while on the interstate about a mile from my hotel and luckily Advantage Powersports, the rear bearings disintegrated. I have no idea what shape the bearings were in before the shock went. It's not outside the realm of reasonableness for them to go at that age. I just know that the shock probably made it worse.

Prob no harm for us all to check the wheel bearings from time to time. I had a set fail on my former NC700X but a friend had a major failure where the bearing totally disintegrated and caused major mischief to the hub .

Prob no harm for us all to check the wheel bearings from time to time. I had a set fail on my former NC700X but a friend had a major failure where the bearing totally disintegrated and caused major mischief to the hub .
I’d go farther and say the right rear wheel bearing on the NC should be proactively changed out no later than 48,000 miles, earlier if you ride in a wet environment. Mine failed on a long trip and came very close to stranding me. Made it home and the bearing disintegrated. It was the first wheel bearing failure I ever had on any motorcycle.

I’d go farther and say the right rear wheel bearing on the NC should be proactively changed out no later than 48,000 miles, earlier if you ride in a wet environment. Mine failed on a long trip and came very close to stranding me. Made it home and the bearing disintegrated. It was the first wheel bearing failure I ever had on any motorcycle.
That's good advice to hear. I have a pair of OEM wheel bearings and dust seals at the ready for when one fails. It is the same part for front/rear wheels, except that the bearing inside the sprocket is different ("angular ball" instead of "radial ball" bearing).

Not stranded, but problematic- three times. First was first ride of the season & bike died just off highway exit ramp. Turned out I hasn't installed the battery properly & the screw had loosened off the battery terminal. Two and three were engine stop switch engaging unintentionally.

Back