• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My trip to the New England states.

mpgandfun

Reaction score
Visit site
Total mileage for the trip: 2377 miles. I had never been to this region of the country. Its was so much more than I expected. New Hampshire? Sure, I've heard of it. Whats so special about NH?........WOW. The White Mountains region in NH blew me away. Met a lot of fellow countrymen and chatted with them along the way. I wonder what it is, about someone who's traveling & far from home, that makes them so approachable by the friendly locals? Encounters like that really enrich the experience for me.

My only regret is that I didn't have more time to explore the White Mountains region along with the Adirondacks. Time constraints kept me on the move and "just passing through". I'd like to have a few weeks to explore every little paved and dirt road in these areas.

My route on my way back to Michigan.
http://mapq.st/Piv0VS

I took a lot more pics than this, but I didn't want to get too pic heavy, so I picked some of the nicer ones.

IMG_0139.jpgIMG_0141.jpg
IMG_0143.jpgIMG_0144.jpgIMG_0147.jpgIMG_0149.jpg
IMG_0145.jpg

Last edited:
Hey mpg! Nice pics! Wow! I now get it why you made the DIY rack, you were in a hurry! ?? Great to see your travels! Keep us posted!

Thanks guys. It was a great trip. I've never done a ride this long before, but everything worked out well. Next year, I plan to tour the Great Smoky Mountains and ride the "Tail of the Dragon" in North Carolina & Tennessee.

Quick 1hr trip to grab some lunch today.

IMG_0016.jpg

Total mileage for the trip: 2377 miles. I had never been to this region of the country. Its was so much more than I expected. New Hampshire? Sure, I've heard of it. Whats so special about NH?........WOW. The White Mountains region in NH blew me away. Met a lot of fellow countrymen and chatted with them along the way. I wonder what it is, about someone who's traveling & far from home, that makes them so approachable by the friendly locals? Encounters like that really enrich the experience for me.

mpgandfun, Thanks for sharing your journey, and also your route. I have not yet embarked on a trip out of state (on the bike), but its encouraging to see yours. If you ever get around to popping an album online someplace, I'd love to see more. How did you transport your tent on the NC? Or was it rented?

How did you transport your tent on the NC? Or was it rented?

You can see my tent on the bike, in the last pic. Its the blue package in front of my top case. I chose it because it was small.....too small. I have to lay diagonally
so that my head and feet don't touch the sides. A bigger tent is on the list before I make my next road trip.

I love NH. I spent some time up in the White Mountain area as a kid with my Dad. We would drive up from Plymouth, Ma and usually stay at Dolly Copp campground on Rt16 just north of Mt Washington and a little south of Gorham. At the time, I didnt appreciate the time or the place. But now that I am 1500 miles from home and havent been back to New England in 3 and a half years, I want to go back and ride. There are two roads that I would kill to ride on. One is the Kancamagus Scenic Highway between Conway and Lincoln. The other is the road that goes up Mt Washington. In fact, I am planning a ride up there from Oklahoma. I have no idea when I will be able to do the ride, but I am planning the route. I figure riding 8-10 hours a day and having time to take a day or two off here and there, it would take me about week and a half.

I live in RI not too far from NH and my in-laws live in NH, Laconia, and the area around Lake Winipesaukee is gourgeous with great roads and scenery. Just try to avoid Father's Day week/weekend. All the Harleys in New England show up that week for the annual rally and it gets very crowded. By the way great pics on what seemed to be a great ride.

One is the Kancamagus Scenic Highway between Conway and Lincoln. The other is the road that goes up Mt Washington. In fact, I am planning a ride up there from Oklahoma.

The last pic in my post, showing my NC in a parking space, was taken at the overlook at the end of the main drag in Conway, NH. That was the start of a beautiful ride. The huge resort/hotel I came across along the way, was a big surprise to me.

http://www.afcvacations.com/AFCTours/Images/GfxPkg/lrne_-_mtn_view_grand_1.jpg

The last pic in my post, showing my NC in a parking space, was taken at the overlook at the end of the main drag in Conway, NH. That was the start of a beautiful ride. The huge resort/hotel I came across along the way, was a big surprise to me.

http://www.afcvacations.com/AFCTours/Images/GfxPkg/lrne_-_mtn_view_grand_1.jpg

You really owe it to yourself (if not done it yet) to see it when the foliage peaks!!! Ride the Rt.112 then....
Wow! Breathtaking colors! Blue Ridge Pkway fades in comparison... as well as most other places I have seen..
I was in North Conway last fall for it (again :) )

Back