• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My October Road Trip

wgwgoldwing

So long folks!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I've neglected my Goldwing since I bought the NC700X. So, I spent a little quality time with her over the last week. A buddy and I did a 5 day, 1900 mile road trip that included, Missouri, Iowa, South Dakota, Wyoming, and Montana. We visited the Corn Palace, Badlands, Sturgis, Devils Tower, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and Bear Country. Our temperatures ranged from upper 20's to the mid 60's. Awesome weather, with the exception of a little rain on one day and some minor flurries on another day.

Day 1:

We met up in Platte City, MO and headed north:
_DSC2941.jpg

Stayed in Mitchell, SD at the Holiday Inn Express:
_DSC2944.jpg

Day 2:

Left early in the morning and visited the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD. Interesting place made up of lots of corn parts:
_DSC2954.jpg

Next stop, the Badlands. Amazing place. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves:
_DSC2969.jpg

_DSC2976.jpg

_DSC2981.jpg

_DSC2990.jpg

_DSC2999.jpg

_DSC3002.jpg

_DSC3005.jpg

_DSC3013.jpg

_DSC3019.jpg

_DSC3029.jpg

_DSC3032.jpg

_DSC3034.jpg

_DSC3037.jpg

_DSC3041.jpg

_DSC3049.jpg

_DSC3067.jpg

_DSC3069.jpg

_DSC3084.jpg

_DSC3088.jpg

_DSC3086.jpg

Well that's it for now. I have a few hundred more pictures to go through and will post up more later.

WGW

Day 3:

This was our day of rain. Kind of drab and dull for picutes, but sitll a good time. First stop, Sturgis:
_DSC3107.jpg

Somewhere in Wyoming south of Devil's Tower:
_DSC3113.jpg

Devil's Tower:
_DSC3119.jpg

_DSC3123.jpg

I didn't realize it, but people actually climb it:
_DSC3130.jpg

This is a wooden ladder:
_DSC3134.jpg

_DSC3148.jpg

Cows:
_DSC3159.jpg

Two wings just taking in the view:
_DSC3161.jpg

_DSC3169.jpg

Wyoming / Montana border:
_DSC3180.jpg

_DSC3183.jpg

_DSC3184.jpg

_DSC3186.jpg

Somewhere in Montana, we got buried in mud. There were trucks hauling dirt. Well it was raining and dirt + rain = mud. I got behind one of those trucks. As an oncoming truck passed me, it sprayed me, big time. My windshield looked like chocolate milk. Thankfully I was able to see over it. After dozens of miles in the rain, the majority of it got washed off naturally, but here's a few shots of the aftermath:

_DSC3197.jpg

_DSC3188.jpg

_DSC3198.jpg

Well, back to Sturgis, we still had unfinished business there. No offense to the Harley folks on here, but we just couldn't pass up this shot:

_DSC3201.jpg

Of course, no trip to Sturgis is complete without a stop at the Full Throttle:

_DSC3203.jpg

_DSC3205.jpg

This made us both chuckle. There are strange black splotches all over the parking lot:

_DSC3206.jpg

WGW

Excellent trip and pics. I also like the colour of your armchairs on wheels :)

Day 4:

Headed out to Mount Rushmore. By the time we got to the top, we noticed some very light snow flurries. Here's some pics:

_DSC3214.jpg

_DSC3283.jpg

_DSC3274.jpg

_DSC3262.jpg

_DSC3265.jpg

_DSC3248.jpg

From there, we headed out to Crazy Horse. Started noticing snow in the shadows. It was apparent when we got there that they had plowed the parking lot. Crazy Horse wasn't really what I expected. You could only see the sculpture from a distance. They said since it was still a construction site, that you couldn't get close to it. They did have a bus tour that got a little closer and allowed you to see the front but we didn't take it.

_DSC3285.jpg

_DSC3296.jpg

_DSC3297.jpg

_DSC3305.jpg

_DSC3310.jpg

Our last stop for the day was Bear Country. Very cool place. It's a drive through zoo that had tons of bears. They wouldn't let us take out bikes through (not that I would) but they had free loaner vehicles.

_DSC3521.jpg

_DSC3316.jpg

_DSC3322.jpg

_DSC3342.jpg

_DSC3347.jpg

_DSC3356.jpg

_DSC3375.jpg

There were soooooo many bears (you can see our blue bikes in the distance):

_DSC3385.jpg

_DSC3394.jpg

_DSC3397.jpg

This bear was probably less that 20 feet from our loaner car.

_DSC3413.jpg

_DSC3430.jpg

Big ole grizzly:
_DSC3433.jpg

Badger:
_DSC3451.jpg

_DSC3454.jpg

Lynx:
_DSC3462.jpg

This little guy was cracking us up. He was a climber:
_DSC3487.jpg

_DSC3493.jpg

_DSC3494.jpg

_DSC3495.jpg

_DSC3498.jpg

_DSC3500.jpg

_DSC3512.jpg

_DSC3510.jpg

Day 5:

No pictures, just rode for 12 hours and 760 miles to get home.

Overall it was a great trip. No problems at all. Gotta love Honda quality and reliability. I can't wait to get the NC700X out there on some multi-day rides.

WGW

Very good camera and very good composition skills from the cameraman.
Kudos!

What are your equipment? Please don't say it is an iPhone5. poo!

BTW, are you sure you are not shooting the photos for some Goldwing magazine?
The first batch looks so brand new and sparkling clean, those GWs.

Now please repeat a similar photoshoot roadtrip, but with sparkling clean NCX.
:p

Very good camera and very good composition skills from the cameraman.
Kudos!

What are your equipment? Please don't say it is an iPhone5. poo!

BTW, are you sure you are not shooting the photos for some Goldwing magazine?
The first batch looks so brand new and sparkling clean, those GWs.

Now please repeat a similar photoshoot roadtrip, but with sparkling clean NCX.

Thanks happy!

These were shot with a Nikon D7000 DSLR. The wide shots were with a Nikkor 17-35mm 2.8 and the tight shots were with a Nikkor 70-300mm 4.5.

Haha, yeah, I wish I could get paid to travel and take motorcycle pictures. :)

Both the bikes are 2012's so, yeah, they are pretty new. Mine had around 4000 miles on it when the trip started. Now I'm at around 6000 miles.

Oh yeah, I'm planning on putting some serious miles on the NCX and will have my camera with me at all times. I hope to get some decent shots.

WGW

Thanks happy!

These were shot with a Nikon D7000 DSLR. The wide shots were with a Nikkor 17-35mm 2.8 and the tight shots were with a Nikkor 70-300mm 4.5.

Haha, yeah, I wish I could get paid to travel and take motorcycle pictures. :)

Both the bikes are 2012's so, yeah, they are pretty new. Mine had around 4000 miles on it when the trip started. Now I'm at around 6000 miles.

Oh yeah, I'm planning on putting some serious miles on the NCX and will have my camera with me at all times. I hope to get some decent shots.

WGW

I love Nikons too.
I have an old D50 with 2 lenses, not sure the exact dimensions, one std zoom and the other 70-300mm also I think.

Somehow your pictures do show how a good dSLR lens make so much better pictures compared to the puny tiny idiot-cameras (which I use more often).
Time to get out my Nikon and dust off the cobwebs.

Fall. The best time for photography. But, brrrrr...today was 2deg C in the morning.

Just one question "Do you two guys ever race each other on them bikes" please say yes

There's only two reasons for me to race on the road. One is weather (I usually lose :) ) and the other is the race to the restroom after drinking a liter or two of water since my last stop (so far, I've won and/or tied everytime).

WGW

Very nice pictures. Does the forward storage compartment on the NC700X stay cool enough to keep camera gear in on the road?

Thanks. This trip was on my goldwing. I've taken the NC700X out on a few rides with the DSLR in the not-a-tank and it did fine. I wouldn't leave it in there while stopped for too long though. As long as you are moving the heat from the engine appears to dissipate elsewhere. Once you stop though, that heat goes straight up into the not-a-tank.

WGW

Last edited:
Great pictures. I always start out on a trip meaning to take pictures so I can remember this and that and always end up riding past the opportunities or not taking the time. Thanks for sharing.

Back