• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My bike riding days are through

Rocker66

Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.kawasakiw650.co.uk
Sadly it looks as though my bike riding days are through. My wife heard today that she is redundant and as we exist on my money and hers pays for the bikes and holidays it looks as though the bikes will have to go. at 65 she is hardly likely to get another job

Keep the faith. It hasn't happened yet although it might look bleak today the sun will come up on a new day tomorrow. Plenty of middle aged people have the opportunity to reinvent themselves. For some the odds are too much but don't give up at the beginning.

Sorry to hear that. I assume redundant meant "laid off" in US? My wife went thru a couple of those during the great recession. It was not just tough on us financially, it was tough on her mentally. I hope everything turns out ok for her and your family.

Sorry to hear, mate, but surely you both don't need to have multiple brand new 2013 model bikes to go out and have at least *some* small motorcycle enjoyment, yes?

Would you have any fun with a couple good condition earlier model machines, and spend some of the saved money for a trip or two here and there?

What is the retirement age in the UK? Did you have a plan for continuing to motorbike after one or both of you retired, or was that going to be the point where you stopped?

What a bummer :( Hope you can figure out a way of avoiding giving up!

The retirement age is 65 for men 60 for women. I'm 66 and sue 65. I hoped to do another 2 1/2 years to complete my 50 years on the railway.. I thought by then that due to my leg injury getting worse I would have to give up riding anyway. Maybe we will look at trying to get hold of a couple of small/cheaper bikes as we don't have car licences

I've been redundant before. I've always said when one door closes another opens.

Get rid of the bikes? Now is the time you sell everything and ride around the world together. You two could be the next Simon and Lisa Thomas.

Read Voluntary Simplicity or Walden. Now seems like the perfect opportunity to redefine what it means to live.......and live well.

I hope you both are blessed with peace and happiness beyond your wildest imagination.
Mike

Sadly it looks as though my bike riding days are through. My wife heard today that she is redundant and as we exist on my money and hers pays for the bikes and holidays it looks as though the bikes will have to go. at 65 she is hardly likely to get another job

To offer some encouragement, I was recently hired at the age of 59 as a car salesman.
Not the most glamorous or prestigious job in the world, but the money is ok
and there are several other old dinosaurs like me on the sales floor.

Maybe now would be an opportunity for the Mrs. to do something she has always
been interested in doing but didn't for fear of leaving a good situation.
Even if it is only part time it might allow you to keep the bikes and take shorter ride abouts.

Good luck to both of you and keep the faith.

I agree with L.B.S. a 100% on this one! keep a couple of lower priced Hondas and ride them until they wear out. I plan on keeping my NCX for several hundred thousand miles. Trading cost too much money!

Really the pits. 16 years ago I was made redundant (Brit for laid off - I worked with Brits, Germans, Italians, and Japanese at the time & always thought "redundant" was a better term than laid off) - never saw it coming. Definitely like a punch in the gut. The good news for me was that I landed on my feet with a way better job than the one I was kicked out of. In hindsight it was the best thing that could have happened but it sure did not feel that way at the time.

One of the toughest things I'd ever done was the job search. One of the best bits of advice was to treat the search as a job. Just remember, though, a job is typically "only" 5 days a week, 8 hours a day. Need to take the evenings off along with the weekends to do something you enjoy - like riding!

I wish her the best!

Wow! I can't believe this.... especially with it being you! I hope that there will be some new source of income that comes along that will fix this. I'm wondering if there is some sort of retirement or even Social Security that might be starting up now?
Hopefully there are some possibilities that can keep you both able to enjoy riding.

Maybe your local dealer could use a seasoned female saleswoman? She could get employee discounts there.

OK I'm not going to be popular after saying this.
I have no sympathy for folks who do not prepare themselves for the inevitable and living for today , worry about tomorrow when it comes and now its here.
buying all those new bikes averaging 1 or 2 new bikes every 2 years.
OK none of my business but you did say..My bike riding days are through.
your lady should received a small pension at the retirement age which in this case 60 .
if she hasn't claimed it then she will be entitled to 5 years back pay which should amount to around £20,000 if not more.
also if she had paid nat/insurance not class 2 she will be entitled more.
but if she has claimed it then why didn't you both saved it?
same to your rocker your entitled to a pension to full amount which is around £150 to £200 a week if not more.
plus you both got £100 a year winter fuel allowance each.
plus the railway give a good pension too when you retire.
why do you need 4 bikes? you've only got one *** each.
you only had the NC a year but choose to buy a new dullville because it serve you needs.
if the NC didn't serve your need's then why did you buy it or keep it for a year??
this isn't aimed at Rocker alone this goes for any body who don't try to save a little or prepared themselves for the future.

I had a good paid job but the the job was shyt!
during the short 8 years I worked there and after two years I was allowed join a pension fund,the company would put in 6% max of my monthly pay excluding over time.
I worked there for 8 years till my home was paid for.
so in the 6 years I put in as much as I could afford inc all over time pay.
took my redundancy and got paid £12900 this inc one month pay.
I took 2months out to evaluate things and in the mean time tried to get a job and at 59 no one was interested,
I couldn't even get a job as a packer because I was over qualified (being a welder) in other words I was on a scrap heap!
I didn't moan or cry how are we going to manage!
1st of all we discuss what we need and what we didn't need.
and worked out the minimum money that we could live on.
for 35 years of our marriage I've always paid the household bills inc mortgage/food and still do to this day except the house is paid for..
wife never worked while the kids were little because we felt that the kids were more important than money.
like any young couple with a small family..we found it hard going but we manage.
we adjusted to what income we had then and doing same now.
financially we should be worst off but we aren't why?? because we adjusted to what income we get.
I'm at the happiest moment of my life as far work goes because I can please myself whether I work or not today etc.
we go away one or two times a year for two weeks at a time.
got a car plus bike as long as I've got a bit to keep both on the road we're happy.
in 3 years time I will retire full time but will make the odd bits and pieces to keep me occupied.

so the moral of this story live to what you can afford even if it means selling all but one bike so be it.

Wow that's a tough break. I had to stop and ponder to share your loss. I don't think most of the US folks realize the cost of living in the Europe. From what I saw things are very expensive compared to here.

My example is rattle can spray paint. In a local French hardware store, this past Feb, spray paint was 16 €, $21 US, for a single can. A rattle can of spray paint in the US about $4 to $7. The store would have been equivalent to a Lowe's, or Home Depot here. I know France is extreme for taxes, but wow!

We have saved all our working lives so we had a pension fund ready for our planned retirement in February 2016 after I have completed my 50 years on the railway. All our financial plans were planned around this but Sues redundancy came out of the blue. I have worked since the age of 15 and never had a day out of work so I think I have earned what I have had. Much of that time has been working 6 or 7 days a week often 12 hours a day I hardly drink and don't smoke or take expensive holidays abroad so I have gone without plenty of things in life to pay for the bikes. Plenty of people have a car and a bike so I see no difference in having 2 bikes and no car.
I have not stated that we can't manage as we can without claiming benefits other than our pensions which we have paid in for over the years just that our life style will have to change earlier than expected.

OK I'm not going to be popular after saying this.
I have no sympathy for folks who do not prepare themselves for the inevitable and living for today , worry about tomorrow when it comes and now its here.
buying all those new bikes averaging 1 or 2 new bikes every 2 years.
OK none of my business but you did say..My bike riding days are through.
your lady should received a small pension at the retirement age which in this case 60 .
if she hasn't claimed it then she will be entitled to 5 years back pay which should amount to around £20,000 if not more.
also if she had paid nat/insurance not class 2 she will be entitled more.
but if she has claimed it then why didn't you both saved it?
same to your rocker your entitled to a pension to full amount which is around £150 to £200 a week if not more.
plus you both got £100 a year winter fuel allowance each.
plus the railway give a good pension too when you retire.
why do you need 4 bikes? you've only got one *** each.
you only had the NC a year but choose to buy a new dullville because it serve you needs.
if the NC didn't serve your need's then why did you buy it or keep it for a year??
this isn't aimed at Rocker alone this goes for any body who don't try to save a little or prepared themselves for the future.

I had a good paid job but the the job was shyt!
during the short 8 years I worked there and after two years I was allowed join a pension fund,the company would put in 6% max of my monthly pay excluding over time.
I worked there for 8 years till my home was paid for.
so in the 6 years I put in as much as I could afford inc all over time pay.
took my redundancy and got paid £12900 this inc one month pay.
I took 2months out to evaluate things and in the mean time tried to get a job and at 59 no one was interested,
I couldn't even get a job as a packer because I was over qualified (being a welder) in other words I was on a scrap heap!
I didn't moan or cry how are we going to manage!
1st of all we discuss what we need and what we didn't need.
and worked out the minimum money that we could live on.
for 35 years of our marriage I've always paid the household bills inc mortgage/food and still do to this day except the house is paid for..
wife never worked while the kids were little because we felt that the kids were more important than money.
like any young couple with a small family..we found it hard going but we manage.
we adjusted to what income we had then and doing same now.
financially we should be worst off but we aren't why?? because we adjusted to what income we get.
I'm at the happiest moment of my life as far work goes because I can please myself whether I work or not today etc.
we go away one or two times a year for two weeks at a time.
got a car plus bike as long as I've got a bit to keep both on the road we're happy.
in 3 years time I will retire full time but will make the odd bits and pieces to keep me occupied.

so the moral of this story live to what you can afford even if it means selling all but one bike so be it.

When I bought the NC I thought it would meet my needs and it was only after a winters use that I discovered that it was not really what I needed. I'm sure that I'm not the first person in history to buy something only to discover that it didn't meet their needs.

Back