• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

MPG through the roof

That’s a great number. What kind of riding allowed you achieve it?
Near steady 45 mph over 292 miles with stock short windscreen and no side cases. Some of us on the forum have concluded that a steady 45 mph in 6th gear is the sweet spot for best mileage.

Near steady 45 mph over 292 miles with stock short windscreen and no side cases. Some of us on the forum have concluded that a steady 45 mph in 6th gear is the sweet spot for best mileage.
Makes since as the test cycle used by the EPA barely reaches 60 mph. Manufacturers tune the engine to perform best for the test cycle.
1648560130992.png
1648560156152.png

Sorry but I think you guys are dreaming, I never heard of any vehicle getting way over what the factory could squeeze out of it unless it's so lean that it overheats and/or burns holes in things.

Sorry but I think you guys are dreaming, I never heard of any vehicle getting way over what the factory could squeeze out of it unless it's so lean that it overheats and/or burns holes in things.

Unless I’m confusing you with someone else, I don’t think you own an NC700/750, so in your case you would be dreaming. Think whatever you want, however, some of us here like dduelin, Rapturee, me, have achieved actual NC700X mileage above 90 (US gallons) which equates to 108 Imperial. So, we are not dreaming. It is real. And, no one said the factory couldn’t squeeze that out of it if it was ridden in the same manner.

Makes since as the test cycle used by the EPA barely reaches 60 mph. Manufacturers tune the engine to perform best for the test cycle.
View attachment 48769
View attachment 48770
Japanese motorcycles do not use the EPA test cycle. (No motorcycles use the EPA cycle for MPG estimates. The EPA cycle does measure motorcycle emissions however.) The Japanese Automobile Manufacturers Association developed the World Motorcycle Test Cycle to measure fuel economy in real world based conditions and since 2013 it has become more or less the global standard used to compare motorcycle fuel economy. WMTC includes cold startup, accelerations, decelerations, and several steady speed measurements on a rolling road dynometer. The NC700X achieves 64 mpg WMTC and the NC750X achieves 66.6 on the test cycle. The Honda Super Cub 125 achieves 157 mpg WMTC.

My personal best was approximately 94 mpg with my 2012 manual NCX. I rode a loop route of just under 100 miles with no stops, no traffic signals, and traffic that allowed a steady 45 mph. I returned to the same gas pump and filled to the same level as I could. To be really accurate the route should be repeated numerous times to average out variables. I couldn't bring myself to do that.... it is extremely boring riding and not not something I care to do on a regular basis. My 2015 DCT achieved 84 on my test loop.

Last edited:
Ok. I can understand the really high mileage figures at a steady 45mph. However I would either lose the will to live or fall asleep or both if I was to sustain that speed for a full tank. o_O

My own figures are quoted in relation to my realistic road speeds day to day without any effort to achieve high mileage.

Ok. I can understand the really high mileage figures at a steady 45mph. However I would either lose the will to live or fall asleep or both if I was to sustain that speed for a full tank. o_O

My own figures are quoted in relation to my realistic road speeds day to day without any effort to achieve high mileage.
You havent ridden in our Smokie Mountains on the Blueridge parkway where the max speed limit is 45mph (and the Feds patrol and enforce that speed limit-get a ticket on the Blueridge, you go to federal court) or the 'Tail of the Dragon' where there are 318 curves in 11 miles, many are switch backs and going over 45mph can be a trip to the rainbow...and on the weekends, highly enforced by the Tennessee State Police....neither of these roads have sleep induced properties.....and I get my best MPG in the Smokie Mountains-between 80-85mpg...

The Blue Ridge Parkway, eastern United States, is 470 miles of beautiful scenery and a 45 mph speed limit and not one stop sign. You will run out off fuel before you run out of road. 45 mph feels just right for me on that parkway, and certainly not boring unless you just don’t care about the gorgeous scenery. This is the road I was on when I got my personal record high mileage, but it is not the riding I do everyday.

Unless I’m confusing you with someone else, I don’t think you own an NC700/750, so in your case you would be dreaming. Think whatever you want, however, some of us here like dduelin, Rapturee, me, have achieved actual NC700X mileage above 90 (US gallons) which equates to 108 Imperial. So, we are not dreaming. It is real. And, no one said the factory couldn’t squeeze that out of it if it was ridden in the same manner.
Right, I have one ordered but still don't have it but that has nothing to do with being a former mechanic and having an extensive auto and MC background. I guess you could beat the manufacturers gas sipping claims but I doubt if they arrive at their figures by testing at 45 MPH, with a slight tail wind, steady hand or cruise control, perfect tire pressures, on level ground, smooth surface, highway tires, and not stopping. I think the 80 mpg figure they arrived at is derived from more realistic, real world scenario.

Right, I have one ordered but still don't have it but that has nothing to do with being a former mechanic and having an extensive auto and MC background. I guess you could beat the manufacturers gas sipping claims but I doubt if they arrive at their figures by testing at 45 MPH, with a slight tail wind, steady hand or cruise control, perfect tire pressures, on level ground, smooth surface, highway tires, and not stopping. I think the 80 mpg figure they arrived at is derived from more realistic, real world scenario.
You’re making no sense. You are correct that manufacturers don’t make mpg claims with 45 mph testing. That’s why some of us are able to get actual better mileage than claimed by using frugal riding habits. Yet you say we are dreaming.

I’m amazed that a non owner comes on the forum to tell people, some of which have owned an NC for nearly 10 years, that they are dreaming about their fuel economy.

You’re making no sense. You are correct that manufacturers don’t make mpg claims with 45 mph testing. That’s why some of us are able to get actual better mileage than claimed by using frugal riding habits. Yet you say we are dreaming.

I’m amazed that a non owner comes on the forum to tell members, some of which have owned an NC for nearly 10 years, that they are dreaming about their fuel economy.
Again, I don't have to own that bike to know a few things. OK you're all not dreaming, you beat the system......whatever. I am curious at how they arrived at 80 MPG though. And; .............lotta' sense.
I can save money by drinking powdered milk, eating synthetic potatoes, day old bread, and wearing fake leather boots too. It's about the OP getting a lot more mpg's after adding a slip-on anyway.

You havent ridden in our Smokie Mountains on the Blueridge parkway where the max speed limit is 45mph (and the Feds patrol and enforce that speed limit-get a ticket on the Blueridge, you go to federal court) or the 'Tail of the Dragon' where there are 318 curves in 11 miles, many are switch backs and going over 45mph can be a trip to the rainbow...and on the weekends, highly enforced by the Tennessee State Police....neither of these roads have sleep induced properties.....and I get my best MPG in the Smokie Mountains-between 80-85mpg...

Ok, as a EU person I am conditioned to think in terms of KPH so I suppose subconsciously that was the 45 I was thinking of when it is actually 72kph. I spose I could live with that in suitable conditions.

Again, I don't have to own that bike to know a few things. OK you're all not dreaming, you beat the system......whatever. I am curious at how they arrived at 80 MPG though. And; .............lotta' sense.
I can save money by drinking powdered milk, eating synthetic potatoes, day old bread, and wearing fake leather boots too. It's about the OP getting a lot more mpg's after adding a slip-on anyway.
I ride pretty normally (mostly 55-60 mph) and get around 5% better than the stated fuel economy about every tank. I don’t peel tires but I’m not babying it.

Where did this 80 mpg figure "from the manufacturer" come from?
I suspect you are directing that question to 750dct, but I am wondering the same thing.

So I did a little homework. Per Honda’s UK web site (https://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/adventure/nc750x/specifications.html#/), Honda lists the current NC750X fuel consumption at 3.5L/100km. If you convert that, you get about 80.7 mpg (Imperial). That seems right in line with what I would expect from this motorcycle. Maybe that is where the 80 mpg number came from, but I’m hoping 750dct can explain.

Last edited:
I suspect you are directing that question to 750dct, but I am wondering the same thing.

So I did a little homework. Per Honda’s UK web site (https://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/adventure/nc750x/specifications.html#/), Honda lists the current NC750X fuel consumption at 3.5L/100km. If you convert that, you get about 80.7 mpg (Imperial). That seems right in line with what I would expect from this motorcycle. Maybe that is where the 80 mpg number came from, but I’m hoping 750dct can explain.
Why would I explain when I am the one that's asking about it? You're making no sense to me.:rolleyes:

OK. Post #26 already referred to the 66.6 US Gallon figure from the WMTC that converts to ~80 MPG Imp. Anyone trying to hypermile should be able to easily beat 80 Imp because the WMTC figure comes from a test cycle that includes a variety of speeds plus accelerations & decelerations. Go slow and hold a steady speed would easily beat the tar out of 80 Imp.

Why would I explain when I am the one that's asking about it? You're making no sense to me.:rolleyes:
The question asked of you was, where did your 80 mpg number come from? But I think it's sorted out now and dduelin has all the answers in posts #26 and #39.

Back