• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Mpg is off

dario

Reaction score
Visit site
OK love my bike never had problems owned it from new 2014 now has 17000miles
Changed out the battery and went to set the time and acedentley set it to km I set it back to mi and thought all is well but something is wrong my instant mpg is not making sense 21mpg is what it says average is saying 19mpg so it's way off tried to disconnect battery to reset but still having problems can not find anything about this anywhere need help

Changed out the battery and went to set the time and acedentley set it to km I set it back to mi and thought all is well but something is wrong my instant mpg is not making sense 21mpg is what it says average is saying 19mpg so it's way off tried to disconnect battery to reset but still having problems can not find anything about this anywhere need help
In our electronic age everything is computer run.
A fully charged battery and system 'reboot' are the first 2 things advised on anything these days; even multiple reboots.
Diagnosing this probably falls under chapter 4, fuel injection system but too complex for me to figure out.
The instrument cluster on my 2017 is not very user friendly with functions I don't need or want.
I would use the tripmeter to monitor MPG and let it go at that. Green Lights Blue Skies.

I would disconnect the battery again, wait a minute or two, and then reconnect... essentially restarting the computer in the bike. Make sure you are set to mpg before you start.

First rule of electronics... Reboot!!!!

If you haven't already, I would simply go through a whole cycle with a new full tank of fuel and see if the mpg calculator rights itself.

Changed out the battery and went to set the time and accidentally set it to km I set it back to mi and thought all is well but something is wrong my instant mpg is not making sense 21mpg is what it says average is saying 19mpg so it's way off tried to disconnect battery to reset but still having problems can not find anything about this anywhere need help
These bikes have an instant mpg calculator? You say you've had it from 2014. I have a 2013. I'm wondering if that's a difference between model years.

These bikes have an instant mpg calculator? You say you've had it from 2014. I have a 2013. I'm wondering if that's a difference between model years.
2012 and 2013 models of NC700X do not display mpg.

From my experience, mpg calculators on vehicles are rarely accurate, so the absence of one on my 2012 NC doesn’t bother me at all. I can estimate the NC tank’s mpg fairly close by noting at what mileage the fuel gauge bars drop off.

Reactions: MZ5
On my 2012 I have gone by the fuel gauge bars for years now. When the first bar goes away i look at the trip odo. and what ever it shows is usually my mpg. My rear sprocket is 2 teeth less and I multiply the mileage by 1.05. Like clockwork it gives me 200 miles for 3 gallons. I do like the instant mpg feature on the cars we own but I never miss it on this bike.

On my 2012 I have gone by the fuel gauge bars for years now. When the first bar goes away i look at the trip odo. and what ever it shows is usually my mpg. My rear sprocket is 2 teeth less and I multiply the mileage by 1.05. Like clockwork it gives me 200 miles for 3 gallons. I do like the instant mpg feature on the cars we own but I never miss it on this bike.
My situation is the same. Fuel gauges could vary from unit to unit, but on my 2012, if I had filled the tank right up to the filler neck and reset the trip meter, then whatever miles are covered when the first gauge bar drops off is my mpg. My sprockets are stock and the odometer is accurate, so no correction factor is needed.

Reactions: MZ5
...Changed out the battery and went to set the time and acedentley set it to km I set it back to mi and thought all is well but something is wrong my instant mpg is not making sense 21mpg is what it says average is saying 19mpg so it's way off tried to disconnect battery to reset but still having problems can not find anything about this anywhere need help
In my vehicle, if the battery is temporarily disconnected, the current mpg information is not retained. After connecting the battery, the fuel consumption calculation starts again, regardless of the amount of fuel in the tank. Same happens if I do a trip odometer reset. This is because the fuel consumption information is predictable after calculating the information, e.g. every 1 mile. After each reset the mpg info starts with "-", then after about the first mile it shows let's say 15mpg, and then depending on my driving it changes all the time. I have never tried to verify the accuracy of this information but it does suggest a change in my driving style.
Of course, I could be wrong, but I don't think you have any problems with mpg info. Fill up the tank, reset the trip odometer and go. I think after, say, 50 miles, everything's back to normal.

Last edited:
In my vehicle, if the battery is temporarily disconnected, the current mpg information is not retained. After connecting the battery, the fuel consumption calculation starts again, regardless of the amount of fuel in the tank. Same happens if I do a trip odometer reset. This is because the fuel consumption information is predictable after calculating the information, e.g. every 1 mile. After each reset the mpg info starts with "-", then after about the first mile it shows let's say 15mpg, and then depending on my driving it changes all the time. I have never tried to verify the accuracy of this information but it does suggest a change in my driving style.
Of course, I could be wrong, but I don't think you have any problems with mpg info. Fill up the tank, reset the trip odometer and go. I think after, say, 50 miles, everything's back to normal.
From this, it sounds like we're talking about average FE, not instantaneous.

2012 and 2013 models of NC700X do not display mpg.

From my experience, mpg calculators on vehicles are rarely accurate, so the absence of one on my 2012 NC doesn’t bother me at all. I can estimate the NC tank’s mpg fairly close by noting at what mileage the fuel gauge bars drop off.
I worked several years at Honda R&D (automotive) chasing hundredths of an mpg. We tested on dynos measuring exhaust content and measuring distance. That's the source of "truth". You can use your own fuel accounting logic in software, but the chemistry doesn't lie. We knew and controlled fuel-line pressure and injector-open time, so we "knew" exactly how much fuel we were metering but still the calculation is off somehow compared to the experience at the pump. The number we would calculate in software would be similar to the number from the emissions machine, but both were always higher than what people really see at the pump. This phenomenon is experienced at all OEMs, and that number always had to be massaged with an EPA formula to get it from "raw" down to "label" fuel-economy numbers, which is what people will realistically get when they do the calc at the pump. It was always a struggle to get the mpg numbers on the screens to correspond to real experience. We even had a "fudge factor" we'd apply based on tanks and tanks of driving those vehicles before they actually went to production.

I think we'd try to get the display mpg to within 2% of what pump calcs would usually end up being. That was considered good. For instance, my non-Honda sedan varies wildly between 2.5% and 5.5%, getting closer to 5% most of the time (I log every fill-up). For a sedan getting around 28mpg(avg), that's overreporting by between 0.7 and 1.5 mpg. For a motorcycle getting close to 70mpg, that'd be like 3.85mpg difference between what it displays and what'd you get by doing the calc at the pump.

Even if average mpg is off, I was excited that there was an instantaneous FE option. I've several times thought it'd be cool to understand the BSFC map of this engine. To know whether slightly lighter throttle in 5th gear was a better operating point than pulling more on the throttle in 6th (aiming for the same power). 6th gear can by thumpy around 45mph... but up-speeding the engine (5th) is almost certainly worse for FE...depending on the engine's BSFC. Getting instanteous feedback about that would be awesome.

From this, it sounds like we're talking about average FE, not instantaneous.

I worked several years at Honda R&D (automotive) chasing hundredths of an mpg. We tested on dynos measuring exhaust content and measuring distance. That's the source of "truth". You can use your own fuel accounting logic in software, but the chemistry doesn't lie. We knew and controlled fuel-line pressure and injector-open time, so we "knew" exactly how much fuel we were metering but still the calculation is off somehow compared to the experience at the pump. The number we would calculate in software would be similar to the number from the emissions machine, but both were always higher than what people really see at the pump. This phenomenon is experienced at all OEMs, and that number always had to be massaged with an EPA formula to get it from "raw" down to "label" fuel-economy numbers, which is what people will realistically get when they do the calc at the pump. It was always a struggle to get the mpg numbers on the screens to correspond to real experience. We even had a "fudge factor" we'd apply based on tanks and tanks of driving those vehicles before they actually went to production.

I think we'd try to get the display mpg to within 2% of what pump calcs would usually end up being. That was considered good. For instance, my non-Honda sedan varies wildly between 2.5% and 5.5%, getting closer to 5% most of the time (I log every fill-up). For a sedan getting around 28mpg(avg), that's overreporting by between 0.7 and 1.5 mpg. For a motorcycle getting close to 70mpg, that'd be like 3.85mpg difference between what it displays and what'd you get by doing the calc at the pump.

Even if average mpg is off, I was excited that there was an instantaneous FE option. I've several times thought it'd be cool to understand the BSFC map of this engine. To know whether slightly lighter throttle in 5th gear was a better operating point than pulling more on the throttle in 6th (aiming for the same power). 6th gear can by thumpy around 45mph... but up-speeding the engine (5th) is almost certainly worse for FE...depending on the engine's BSFC. Getting instanteous feedback about that would be awesome.
All of my vehicles up until the NC were optimistic on reported mpg. My NC reports 1-2 mpg lower than the calculated value from odometer/pump. Reported fuel used has been spot-on considering it only reports to 1/10ths of gallons and the gas pumps go to 1/1000 ths. If I round the pump reading to the 1/10th of a gal, it matches my NC.

I worked in the automotive industry for 24+ years. There are a lot of variables that can impact mpg, some intentional. We set speedometers to be ~5% optimistic to prevent litigation.

Honda does a really good job of reporting amount of fuel used. I can depend on that when I switch to reserve to have an accurate feeling for how far I can go on remaining fuel. For contrast, our Q5 is 1-2 mpg optimistic vs. odometer/pump.

Honda does a really good job of reporting amount of fuel used.
Yes, I have found this to be true also. My fuel gauge sender (2018 NC750S DCT) sometimes does not register reserve. The final segment does not start blinking. I ran the tank out of petrol once and it didn't blink. Took exactly 14 litres to fill it in case you were wondering. Since the fuel gauge reserve was unreliable I use the fuel used as my check to fill up. I aim to fill with a litre left and the calculated fuel used is always within half a litre of how much I fill by.

Back