• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Mounting Tusk Panniers

Jwalt

Reaction score
Visit site
So, I'm planning a full Route 66 trip with my brother this summer and I need panniers on a budget. The Tusk boxes look great and are sturdy enough to even use for camps stools. The problem, of course, is that Tusk just won't make a rack for our bikes.

I know several people have posted pics of them on their bikes here, but does anyone have any insight into which racks work best? Has anyone gotten the quick release to work with an alternate rack? I'd like something budget friendly and robust. I'd like either a complete rear luggage rack solution or something at least friendly with a later rear-rack add on.

I think they all mount up the same, but I'm on a 2013 NC700xd. We're going to ship our bikes out around May first, so some European options might not have time to arrive in the states.

I bought the Givi PL1111 kit for the side racks and the Givi 1111fz rack arms to accommodate a top case. Then you'll just need a top plate specific for your top case. Mine was a givi, as well.

I didn't have much trouble mounting them. You do have to take your time to make sure you get them level. As you have to drill the holes yourself to mount them. The hardware that came on the racks is what I used to mount the boxes.

It is to be noted, another user mounted some Tusk boxes and he mounted the exhaust side second. This made for uneven boxes since he couldn't go low enough on the exhaust side to match the non-exhaust side.

All in all, I've had them and love them. They've been on since July 2018. I think I may have had to tightened one of the mounting screws once. I have the medium size Tusk boxes.

I bought the Givi PL1111 kit for the side racks and the Givi 1111fz rack arms to accommodate a top case. Then you'll just need a top plate specific for your top case. Mine was a givi, as well.

I didn't have much trouble mounting them. You do have to take your time to make sure you get them level. As you have to drill the holes yourself to mount them. The hardware that came on the racks is what I used to mount the boxes.

It is to be noted, another user mounted some Tusk boxes and he mounted the exhaust side second. This made for uneven boxes since he couldn't go low enough on the exhaust side to match the non-exhaust side.

All in all, I've had them and love them. They've been on since July 2018. I think I may have had to tightened one of the mounting screws once. I have the medium size Tusk boxes.

Does that mean you had to go without quick disconnect?

I am considering a Happy Trails kit that I know will work with Motech racks and give me the disconnect....but they are spendier than the Givi racks.

We will be doing a mix of motels and campgrounds, so I'd like to be able to just bring my boxes in at night. They look sharp and 90% of reports on durability are positive.

Correct. I do not have a quick connect option, but shouldn't take but a few minutes to get off as I would just manually unscrew 3 connection points for both boxes. I do not have the need for quick connect, but I can see how it would be worth it for you to have them.

Haven't had any layovers or trail riding to test the durability of impact, but they are holding up nicely to rode riding. However, don't forget to clamp your lid down or it will fly off and get run over. Even then, it only warped it enough that it's really difficult to clamp both sides down to secure it (it can be done, but I don't as to not stress the latch too much), but if I loop both latches, I can clamp down the front side and it stays nice and snug the whole ride. I just haven't been able to find a medium, black replacement lid since that happened in April of 2019. I just got my gloves out, was talking with someone about the bike and got distracted. I just set the lid on top, hopped on and rode off. It still lasted probably 6-7 miles of 30-55 MPH riding before coming off. I happened to hear it hit and didn't know what happened. I pulled over to examine the bike to make sure everything was ok and noticed it was gone. In the mean time it got hit probably 2-3 times.

Givi rack worked for my Tusk s too. But I had Givi cases which leaked, so I kept the rack, got the Tusks.
Do the exhaust side first when mounting the boxes, as stated above. Measure twice, then measure again before drilling. An extra pair of hands when situating can prove beneficial. While you’re at it, measure again.
No quick on off but I pack in bags with the bags all going into a single large bag. Get to camp and everything comes out in two bags total.
I haven’t used the Tusks for seating or other furniture.
They are stout. I did manage to warp one in a low speed go-down which broke my ankle. Judicious use of wooden block, rubber mallet and steel hammer set things right.
The decals come off easily with a little heat and elbow grease.

I am not sure if they can be used with the Tusk cases, but a member is selling brand new Shad mounts on the For Sale forum...

Back