• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Mounting bike with a top box

Rabbit

Reaction score
Visit site
I know lots of folks here have top boxes and I’m thinking of getting one. Do you find it makes getting on and off the bike more challenging? I’m 5’11” 31” inseam, so pretty average.

Depends on the bike. With a topbox on or not on the NC, I mount the same way, just swing the right leg over. For the CRF250L, which is fairly tall, when I permanently mounted a topbox, I had to start mounting differently, first standing on the left peg, then swing the right leg over. Can no longer stand on ground with left foot and swing right over.

When I have gear in the passenger seat area, and a topbox on the NC, or on the Goldwing with a passenger already mounted, I have to stand beside the bike and shove the right leg straight over the seat.

I probably have more issue getting off. Getting on with my Shad SH58X on I can get my leg over but usually step on the left peg which makes it very easy. Or I straight leg my leg over (not sure what you really call that approach). For some reason getting off is more challenging. Been trying to get off on the right side. Some people say this puts less weight on the kickstand and you are getting on/off away from traffic (in the US at least).

I have no issues with just the top box on it sits pretty far back off the tail.
When I have my dry bag secured on the rear seat I have to mount it a little differently, but someone on the forum taught me a little trick years ago.

I put my knee on the seat bring my foot up to my butt twist my hip a little and drop my foot on the other side.

It sounds a little weird but actually feels pretty natural and is a smooth motion. Works almost every time.

Occasionally if I overload the bike with stuff I have trouble getting off more than on.

I’m 6’ with a 32” inseam, had a 2021 NC750XD with a SHAD 59X top box, no issue mounting/dismounting the bike BEF5B170-E7C7-476C-8160-8E35307A3B81.jpeg

6'2" here. The first time I got on my bike with the Honda OEM top box on, I kicked my boot against it and put a big scuff right across. Then I adjusted and have not had a problem since.

I'm pretty tall and have no issues mounting with the top box.

Although if I'm not carefully I might hit it with my boot and leave some stripes on it, but it's not a big deal.

5-9/29"....I have a little dance I do to get right leg over the seat and grab the brake and slide to the right. I have a lot more issues with my dirt bikes than the street bikes. My 74 CT 90 is the best and a lot of fun too...just not a great bike for I-90 at 85 mph. Harley is a piece of cake. I sorta miss the big bikes on the road but the GW and Ultra is for young guys. They are too heavy to move around but a fine ride once you let the clutch out on the road...just can't beat that DCT.

I put Tusk boxes on my NC and they are a real aid to getting on and off since they provide something to lean on while executing the "mounting dance".

Winter weather warning coming this weekend so ice and snow can't be too far behind.

Ride safe folks!!!!!

5-9/29"....I have a little dance I do to get right leg over the seat and grab the brake and slide to the right. I have a lot more issues with my dirt bikes than the street bikes. My 74 CT 90 is the best and a lot of fun too...just not a great bike for I-90 at 85 mph. Harley is a piece of cake. I sorta miss the big bikes on the road but the GW and Ultra is for young guys. They are too heavy to move around but a fine ride once you let the clutch out on the road...just can't beat that DCT.

I put Tusk boxes on my NC and they are a real aid to getting on and off since they provide something to lean on while executing the "mounting dance".

Winter weather warning coming this weekend so ice and snow can't be too far behind.

Ride safe folks!!!!!
I think we need a video to really appreciate your method ;)

I think we need a video to really appreciate your method ;)
I may be dumb but NOT stupid.

Picture this...3 hops on left foot as right foot slides over the seat, grab the brake as butt slides on the seat and right foot touches down on solid ground as bike come off the kick stand. It's much easier on the center stand but harder to get off the stand without burning rear tire...and that's the truth.

I once had a Candy apple red Victory Touring Cruiser in my younger days because the Harley dealer pissed me off. It was very comfortable, and I could get on it with the stand down, start the bike and rock it off the stand as I let out the clutch and it was like sitting on a feather pillow...not as fast as the twin cams but it was easy to get on and I ended up selling it to an FBI Agent buddy of mine and I think he still has it...and that's the truth.

Last edited:
Back