• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Mount/holder for a large phone (Nexus 6P)

Pr_Chaos

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there,

Can anyone share their experiences with phone holders/mounts for larger phones, e.g Nexus 6P ?
I am heading out for a rather long trip and want to use the phone for occasional navigation, which mounts worked for you which did not, what to look for.
Right now I am looking at RAM Mounts Tough Claw X-Grip Kit - RevZilla, and curious is anyone has tried using it on his/her bike.

Cheers, D

Never seen the tough claw before. I have used the X-Grip for years with no real issues. I even use it off-road and only a few times has the phone moved in the grips. Some people have had their phones slide out of the x-grip. I keep my phone in a case which might make the difference and I clean the rubber grips. Some have taken to using a thick rubber band to make the grips hold tighter.

Hi there,

Can anyone share their experiences with phone holders/mounts for larger phones, e.g Nexus 6P ?
I am heading out for a rather long trip and want to use the phone for occasional navigation, which mounts worked for you which did not, what to look for.
Right now I am looking at RAM Mounts Tough Claw X-Grip Kit - RevZilla, and curious is anyone has tried using it on his/her bike.

Cheers, D

I just installed a different Ram Mount yesterday. I went with the X-Grip IV for my Galaxy Note 4, short double socket arm, and M8 ball mount from Amazon. With same day delivery the 3 parts were around $47. I love it and will report back when I get more riding time with it, but my initial take is that it's solid as a brick bat.

Thanks for all your responses.

From your experience what is the best place for mounting the phone, somewhere in the middle or on the side ?

For now, I've decided to order these ones, however I have a bit of a concern that the phone screen is not visible without tilting the head.....

Ram Mount Motorcycle Handlebar Clamp Base with M8 Screws $10.99

Ram Mount Composite Short Double Socket Arm for 1-Inch Ball Bases $7.99

Ram Mount Cradle Holder for Universal X-Grip Cellphone/iPhone with 1-Inch Ball - Non-Retail… $25.49

I get a custom holder for,my phones from Slip Grip. You can get them with the ran mount ball. The holder is usually about $12. Been doing this for years.

The phone holder is on the right.

1231151827a_zpsr5pn0ruy.jpg

My Ram mount ball is mounted using one of the handle bar bolts. Short arm, and phone mount is specifically for my iPhone 6+. I have used the x-mount with my other phone, and it worked perfectly.

Not sure, unfortunately there doesnt seem to be any custom mounts for our specific phone, so the x-grip might be the best option. I will say that I had an x-grip a couple of phones and motorcycles ago, and it did work fine, I just let it go with the bike. I wish I'd have hung on to it, but I'll probably end up buying another one for this phone.

Also, FYI, I tried some of the rammount waterproof cases, and they were all crap. I was not impressed, and sent them all back.

I just got the smaller x grip and it holds the 6p just fine. I looked at the larger version, but it seemed like it could be too loose. I think the max width on the small x grip is 3.25 inches. The part number is RAM-HOL-UN7BU

Back