• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Motorcyclist are 23% better behind the wheel of a car

helix_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Insurance actuarial have know this fact for years. However, with the cost of motorcycle insurance being as low as it is, do not expect any auto discounts for being a motorcyclist. Howerver, our fatality rate not so good. Not many states require helmets any more.

I thought this was an interesting study. Clearly, we recognize this as a general trend, but nice to see some hard data behind it. Now, if the insurance industry would agree and when you have a motorcycle policy they actually would give you a discount on your car insurance because of it :D

Motorcyclists '23% better' behind the wheel of a car - Motorcycle news : General news - Visordown

Also read that earlier today. I'm not sure but it appears that this study was done in the UK and perhaps may not be indicative of the same stats holding true in the US. While I sincerely believe that riding a MC makes me a better automobile driver I have to think that in the US we have a larger quantity of MC riders that are equally poor (and/or reckless) at riding motorcycles as they are at driving cars. Let's look at the squids and some faction of that large "cruiser-centric" group we have here (you all know who I am talking about) as examples. We also seem to suffer from a significant amount of riders who don't even have their MC endorsement let alone any formal real MC training. I also believe the UK and some other European countries have far stricter regulations on not only obtaining one's MC license but also in what size bike you can have based on your experience level. I could be totally wrong too. Wouldn't be the first time. ;)

Last edited:
I was so excited to read this. Then I saw it was based on UK research.

Factor in I spent a grand total of 20 hours classroom AND practical, learning to ride a 350lb 250cc motorcycle ONLY at speeds below 25 MPH. I won't expect this to affect ANY US insurance policies.

The biggest change for me, when getting quotes for motorcycle insurance was how many years riding experience. I said 1 on the first quote, 3 (the Truth) and 10 for kicks. For one insurance it was a mater of $350 + difference!

Age has it's advantages. Also, never an on road police reported accident or ticket. Never an insurance claim. But, I still crash my motorcycle a lot and I speed.

just to keep my bike on the road for a year cost me $610 a year!
and full no claims and never had an accident in 30 years.

Back