• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

More Speed After Taping Exhaust ??

BenR

Reaction score
Visit site
Last fall I taped the exhaust from the rear of the cat to the front of the muffler hoping for a tiny reduction in noise, and for the fun of it. I didn't have any expectation of noticeable power increase. Although not a speed demon, it's kinda nice to know max speed. Before the addition of the exhaust tape, having done 5 or so speed tests, with slope and wind subtracted, top speed was pretty close to 98mph +/- 2mph. (Overhead power on a bike is kinda helpful on steep grades when riding interstate speeds in posted limits of 80mph in the thin, high altitude of the Rockies. One stretch of three steep grades in particular limit the bike to a max speed of 75mph.)

Anyway, after taping the exhaust the bike seemed rather willing to go faster than normal through the winter. So, now that it's summer, I took the bike to a specific stretch of quiet road that's perfect for testing, where I performed the first few tests after break-in: Result: One direction 106. The opposite direction on the same stretch, 102. Average: 104mph. Nothing else on the bike has been changed other than some weight added, like engine guards. I still can't believe that short stretch of tape would make any noticeable difference, but the gain all year wasn't imagined. So, I checked it again. The gain is real. Go figure.

... I still can't believe that short stretch of tape would make any noticeable difference, but the gain all year wasn't imagined. So, I checked it again. The gain is real. Go figure.
It's quite a scientific approach.
Have you taken into account that warm air is less dense than cold air, so air resistance will be less at higher temperatures. And it also depends on the time of day. With such high vehicle speeds, everything should be taken into account, even your state of mind, well-being, contentment, etc. :cool:

Yes and No. The original measurements were taken in approximately the same temps or cooler, so the second set was a tad warmer. They were all taken over multiple days, so if there were variations in gasoline, that would, in theory, help average out the measurements. 88 octane ethanol free gas was used on most of the first sets of tests, while 88 octane ethanol from Chevron was used on all of the second tests. My gas mileage checks on both gasolines, over the span of 5 tanks each, clearly showed that ethanol free versus 10% ethanol didn't make any difference, so ..... there you go.

88 octane cannot be alcohol free. 88 octane is the rating the government assigned to 15% alcohol. Many articles on 88 octane in the AMA magazines for the past year,,, and no motorcycles have been given the ok to use 88 octane...

88 octane cannot be alcohol free. 88 octane is the rating the government assigned to 15% alcohol. Many articles on 88 octane in the AMA magazines for the past year,,, and no motorcycles have been given the ok to use 88 octane...
It's ethanol free ("Clear Gas"), unless every station in the country that sells under those names is false advertising. See attached pic as an example of what an ethanol free pump looks like.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-07-01 19-13-37.png
    Screenshot from 2022-07-01 19-13-37.png
    303.3 KB · Views: 27
It's ethanol free ("Clear Gas"), unless every station in the country that sells under those names is false advertising. See attached pic as an example of what an ethanol free pump looks like.
Not buying the performance increase with exhaust tape.

As for the gas:
It’s a regional thing…..labeling and products vary.

Other locations do not have 85 that’s often sold in high altitude areas.

88 in most of the US……UNL88 is 15% ethanol also might be labeled E-15. 88 label is meant to confuse the buyer as many would avoid E15 so UNL88 is sold as higher octane with little mention of the 15%.

Further confusing midgrade is often mark as 89. So 88 splits 87 and 89 for a few ent less So the buyer things they are getting an up grade

Ethanol free in some locations is sold a recreational gas and might also be premium 91-93 octane.
Ethanol free I. Some markets might also be regular gas no ethanol. Which confuses some because E10 is also regular. No confusion when you look at the price.

Gas buddy

51C926AE-9577-44CB-9B7F-9A4E794BA533.png

Last edited:
Yep. That's pretty confusing.

I've never seen 15% ethanol around here. All pumps are labeled "This pump may contain up to 10% ethanol".

I would report any station with a 88 label as being alcohol free....The EPA made the 88 rating for 15% ethanol.
According to your posts, with those links, I've been using 15% ethanol without realizing that gasoline has been slowly eroding the seals in my vehicles. Whether or not the stations are following the EPA designation, I don't know. However; I have seen Youtube videos on how to easily test gasoline ethanol content. I'm going to look it up and do some testing. Thanks for the info.

All ‘regular’ gasoline (non-gasohol) on this continent was 88 AKI for decades. I reject the assertion that EPA ‘made’ 88 for the 15% ethanol product. That’s complete nonsense.

The extremely few ethanol-free gasoline sources in my state are also all 88 AKI.

All ‘regular’ gasoline (non-gasohol) on this continent was 88 AKI for decades. I reject the assertion that EPA ‘made’ 88 for the 15% ethanol product. That’s complete nonsense.

The extremely few ethanol-free gasoline sources in my state are also all 88 AKI.
I have been driving on this continent for 47 years, I never saw 88 octane until E-15.....87, 89, 91, 93...yes, saw them everywhere....88, nope..AMA has been bitching about 88 octane for at least 2 years now..almost every monthly issue has had an article on the issue...leaded gas may have had an 88 octane rating, but I didn't start driving until 1975 and don't remember leaded gas....

Okay, so after reading those articles and getting a bit worried about my vehicles, I went over to my usual trusty, Jackson's Chevron, and purchased a gallon of 88 octane Ethanol Free, and a gallon of 88 octane ethanol with "Contains up to 10% ethanol" on the set of pumps. I used the same method demonstrated in Project Farm on YouTube, with the exception of using ounces instead of milliliters. And, the results were: Exactly as stated on the pump. The ethanol 88 octane contained exactly 10% alcohol, and the clear gas was 100% gasoline. I hope it's the same back east for you all.

BenR, love that you did the Project Farm test.

Now that this has been resolved, can we talk about oil with and without candle wax? Is ear wax an appropriate additive? What octane oil works best for a KLR?

I have been driving on this continent for 47 years, I never saw 88 octane until E-15.....87, 89, 91, 93...yes, saw them everywhere....88, nope..AMA has been bitching about 88 octane for at least 2 years now..almost every monthly issue has had an article on the issue...leaded gas may have had an 88 octane rating, but I didn't start driving until 1975 and don't remember leaded gas....
David you need to get out more……….it’s a “regional thing”.

View attachment 49759page 24, June 2022 issue of AMA..
If you have been driving for 47 years and never saw 88 AKI fuel, you haven’t driven in much of the USA.

I’m familiar with AMA’s position and statements on this topic. Don’t confuse their arguments with facts.

To repeat: The ONLY specifically alcohol-free fuel in my state is 88 AKI. The notion that 88-octane was ‘made by EPA’ for E15 and that’s all it is is horse****.

P.S. Leaded gasoline was available in the US until the mid-90s.

Last edited:
Back