• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Moonshine Lunch Run

I've already been there this year on the Goldwing, back in February. We had amazing warm weather. I prefer to go when there is no crowd. Your average is Saturday is crowded enough.

I went in 2011 to pay my respects. On the way home it came a cold rain for 500 solid miles but it was worth it.

The Moonshine Lunch Run is one result of Terry Hammond's desire to help his tiny farming community. The crowd of riders that come to Moonshine for a Moonburger help fund the fire department as well as local children and school programs in Casey, IL. Terry is no longer with us but his heart's desire carries on. RIP ACL

Never Too Cold, Never Too Wet, Never Too Far

I used to live in Charleston, Illinois so we went out that way on occasion to eat a Moonburger. LOL! I don't know how it is now but it used to be a pay "on the honor system" type establishment. For those that have been around the forum for a while, you know I am a very active geocacher. The owner allowed a geocache to be placed on his property. I rode to moonshine one weekend to find the cache and there were several bikes in the gravel parking area across from the store. I went over to say hi and that is when I found out about the annual event. I had no idea prior to that point. I thought it was a place that the random or not so random bikers stopped to eat. Didn't know they had a huge event. That was back in 2005. The geocache was placed in 2002 and is one of the oldest ACTIVE geocaches in Illinois. Anyway, this is another reason why people visit the site.

I usually ride over as long as it is not cold and raining. Last year was sunny but cold (33'F when I left the house and 32'F when I got home). It is a 6 hour round trip for me but the burgers are good and it is for a good cause. Turn out was a little low last year due to the cold. It is pretty neat to look in all 4 directions (it is at a crossroad out in the middle of nowhere) and see bikes parked as far as you can see. The Amish are usually there selling homemade Ice Cream or some kinds of pie, dang both are excellent. They also support a SaddleSore 1000 during this event.

Been the 2 times on my Honda ST, once by myself and the next year the wife rode up there with me. It was the last one before Terry's passing. My son and I rode by there on our way home from a Michigan trip but didn't have time to stop but I wish we could have when there was no huge crowd there.

I just realized I have to work this Saturday (every 4th Saturday) and wont be able to make it this year :(. Highs are supposed to be in the mid-60s...

I ride by there usually at least once a year. I will have to re-route and get a moonshine burger next time. I'm not one for big crowds... I'd have done this early on, but now that it's gotten so big I'll visit when the crowds are gone. Have a safe ride to whoever goes this year!

Back