• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Modified brakes

Wedders

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone modified the brakes on the 750? Please don’t troll me with “ I think the brakes are great” answers I’m just looking for a project over the winter.

Well,
You could look for a 17" Honda wheel that has dual disks, A new fork leg for the left side. A dual master setup, left side caliper and all the bits and pieces. I'm sure it could be done.
I did it on a Sportster years ago. Just took a few weeks to source all the parts.
Other than that, I don't know what could be done to improve the brakes on a NC.
I would be interested in what you come up with.

DSC03209.jpg

Not a 750, but I had a 700 without ABS where the previous owner put the 2012-2013 three pot front caliper on in place of the two pot. In theory, it provided more mechanical advantage at the lever. Less force, but with more lever travel provided the same braking power. The same force at the lever potentially provided more braking power than stock. It worked fine, but then it was an answer to a question I never asked, because the stock front brake was fine with me.

I would think the three piston caliper setup, along with braided lines, an appropriately sized radial master cylinder, and high friction pads would make for an awesome brake system. Once upon a time I upgraded one of my vintage bikes from a single disc system to a factory dual disc setup. It didn't really stop any better and you could really feel the weight of the extra disc and caliper on the steering response. I'm sure the extra disc would have been helpful as far as heat capacity on the track but for me it was mainly for looks. Maybe PM @Tacoma JD. He does track days on his NC and may have some tips.

Thanks for the replies so far I think even just upgrading the calipers would make a difference. The only problem is finding which calipers interchange.
BTW with my bike being a DCT I’ve already moved the rear brake to the clutch position on the handlebars. I find it much better than a foot brake and more powerful as I have leg and back problems, but can’t give up my bike.

Just my two cents, and this wouldn’t be a winter project, more like an afternoon beer. Just upgrading your brake lines to braided might improve a few of the characteristics your looking for.

I found a huge difference in brake performance when changing brands and compounds of brake pad.

Current pad = goldfren touring organic = borderline dangerous, mushy, needs 4 fingers to stop.
Previous pads = EBC or vesrah sintered HH = crisp and powerful two finger stops.

There's no free lunch with brake systems. Larger calipers are less stiff and so are their pads. If I could change anything on my brakes, I'd like a master cylinder 10-20% larger, for sharper, stiffer brakes with less travel... At the expense of increased lever effort.

Back