• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

MMoto Engine Guards bolts are too short

mreric

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
currently I am in the process of installing Mmoto engine guard for DCT, just to find out that the bolt they provided is way too short.

so far i figure that the bolt on the bottom right needs to be at least 80mm. the original bolt would protrude out of the hole. the provide one is only 70mm

I am currently trying to locate longer bolts. I will try to report back as soon as i can and figure out all the needed bolts for this project.

but this blows!

20160424_013029.jpg

Last edited:
hey I finally just got done with my install yesterday will update the original post for Mmoto crash bars.
This is what i had done

4. Zip lock content.jpg

[A] Bolt 12х40 - left, rear
Bolt 12x50 - right, rear
[C] Bolt 12х70 - right, front + bush
[D] Bolt 12х80 - left, front

Last edited:
Am still not done and waiting on some bolts to arrive. try not to use their bolts as must as you can.

I think you can reuse some of the OEM one which are better. fit better as well.

even though i have not try.

you can use the OEM bottom right into the top right.
use the OEM top right into the TOP LEFT.

only the bottom 2 are an issue here.

so far i figure what is needed is the following

M12x75 with 0 no washers on the right bottom or maybe a 80mm

M12x85 with 1 spacer on the left bottom

Last edited:
their picture instruction ask that u use a 80mm on the bottom left. but the OEM one is already a 80 mm. why use their 8.8 grade bolt when the OEM one is a 10.9 grade 80mm. same length they are providing?

Responded back to your PM. I had the same question as you but thought it would be best to play safe with the bolts provided by MMoto. May be others could chime in on the strength of the bolt as I am by no means qualified to answer that.
I think I am going to order some replacement bolts too. Did you order yours yet? Let me know what size you did and from where. TIA

I had the same question as you but thought it would be best to play safe with the bolts provided by MMoto. May be others could chime in on the strength of the bolt

If Honda felt the engine bolts needed to be 10.9 and were willing to pay considerably more to provide them, then that would seem to me to be the safe choice. I don't know if MMoto is three guys in a garage or a well-funded company with respectable engineering talent. I do know that Honda is all this. Remember that in using the engine mounting points for a crash bar, you are asking the motor mount bolts to do more than the designers intended. I believe that class 10.9 bolts of sufficient length to fully utilize the threaded bosses in the engine represents the safest bet.

Last edited:
why use their 8.8 grade bolt when the OEM one is a 10.9 grade 80mm. same length they are providing?
Maybe for breaking the bolt rather than snapping part of the engine block off?

Or....Because class (not grade) 10.9 is an alloy bolt and it is more corrosion resistant and that is why it was chosen by the OEM rather than a class 8.8 (medium carbon steel) which isn't ?

Could even be that was the only class bolt handy when they shipped your bars...

Note that class 10.9 is about a grade 8 bolt, Class 8.8 is something like a grade 5 bolt.......Put a little locktite on the bolts and check them in 100 miles/500 miles to see if they loosen (mine haven't).

Two different opinions for two valid reason. I think I will be ordering the 10.9 bolts too. Reason being if the bolts do end up breaking it would be a PIA to get it out.
Unfortunately I have already being ridding and might require me to park the bike for a while. Can anyone point me from where I could get the bolts from would be greatly appreciated, although I did PM mreric to ask him where he would be getting his bolt from, incase he does't get to it. TIA

Two different opinions for two valid reason. I think I will be ordering the 10.9 bolts too. Reason being if the bolts do end up breaking it would be a PIA to get it out.

If that is your main concern, then the 8.8 might be a better choice. The 10.9 bolt would be more likely to break than the 8.8 would be. Either way, my bet is firmly on the aluminum boss breaking out before either steel bolt is bent far enough to break. That is why I am an evangelist for using all of the threads in the engine block. I choose a 10.9 bolt because that is what Honda spec'ed for the original duty. I didn't try to out-think them.

EDITED TO ADD: I catch some measure of grief for my position that accurate torquing of fasteners matters, but another point in favor of the class 10.9 bolts in my view is that it is what the bolt torques in the service manual were based on. Into steel, in the standard torque tables, class 8.8 bolts of the same size are generally torqued to ~20% lower levels than 10.9 bolts. That is about the same percentage that the tensile strength differs. Into aluminum, the percentage difference is less, however the 10.9 bolts still torque higher than 8.8 bolts of the same size and thread pitch. So, if you choose to use class 8.8 bolts, what is the proper torque and does 20% less tensile strength matter? I don't support Honda's choice of alloy bolts being mainly for corrosion. The bike is full of class 8.8 bolts into aluminum that are in the same corrosion environment as these bolts.

Last edited:
so far i have figure what to do with the two lower bolt, as parts arrive ill try to figure out the two upper bolts.

so far this is what i will do

right bottom
use the OEM 80mm on the lower right - but you must add a 5mm washer- essentially making this bolt a 75mm- my calculation tells me that this location needs a 73.5 mm
I have not been able to locate a 10.9 grade bolt. of 75mm but i have found a 8.8 your choice- am trying to use the OEM bolts as much as i can with the least washer as possible.

left bottom
I will use 90mm 10.9 grade bolt plus a 5mm washer, essentially making it a 85mm bolt. this makes up the 5mm of the attachment plate.

1 M12 1 25 x 90mm JIS Hex Head Flange Bolt Small Head Class 10 9 Zinc | eBay

here are the washer.
M12 mm Screw, 13 mm Inside Diameter, 26 mm 73249328 - MSC

bolt depot has 75mm bolt but they are 8.8 , my goal is use as many OEM grade bolt as possible.

I finished my install. i did have some alignment issues with it. i had to make some of the hole on the rack slight bigger in order to have a proper fit. even a that i had a hard time fitting it.

anyhow. here is what i did for the upper bolts. you can reuse the OEM bolts this way you ensure that you have good quality bolts.

for the upper right :
reuse the oem 55mm bolt that came from the lower left- you must add a 5 mm washer to it- there is a link on my previous post about 5 mm washers

for the upper left
reuse the oem 45mm bolt that came the upper right side - you must also add a 5 mm washer to it.

Back