• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Mismatched tires

Penguinsfan82

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
At 6800 miles, I have need to replace the rear tire on my 2018. I have not been able to locate the OEM replacement so I ordered the same size in the Michelin Pilot Power 2ct.
Is there any harm in mixing the new rear with the original front? Front tire has lots of life remaining, but so do I-Ihope;and don’t want to compromise the future by being cheap on a tire.

Last edited:
Replacing both at the same time may result in better handling and subjective "feel" but unless one is a perfectionist there is nothing wrong with changing a single tire when it's worn to the point of needing replacement. I ran a set of Power 2CTs on my NC and the rear needed changing by about 8,000 miles but the front had 3/32" of the original 5/32" tread remaining at that time. I estimate it will give 12,000 miles of life. I liked the 2CT combo but seeking longer wear I replaced the rear 2CT with a Road 5.

I change only the tire that needs changing at the time. The exception is if I'm planning on running a different style of tire, such as going from a street tire to a 60/40 street/off road tire. Then I might change both tires.

In the OP's case, changing the one tire should be just fine, in my opinion. It seems the advice to always change tires only as sets often comes from entities that profit from the manufacture or sale of tires.

At 6800 miles, I have need to replace the rear tire on my 2018. I have not been able to locate the OEM replacement so I ordered the same size in the Michelin Pilot Power 2ct.
Is there any harm in mixing the new rear with the original front? Front tire has lots of life remaining, but so do I-Ihope;and don’t want to compromise the future by being cheap on a tire.

In simple terms a bike handles best with two new tyres of the same type. Otherwise with tyres changed one at a time You never have the bikes handling at its optimum. I will go further to say that in my experience the OEM tyres supplied with most new bikes can be poor regardless of brand because they are made to the bike manufacturers spec.

Having said that, unless Your Insurance company have issues with the practice, You should be able to get away with it.

Well I decided to replace both tires, avoid any possible issues for a $150 seems with it.
With 150 miles in, the new Michelin pilot 2ct tires are great. Huge improvement over stock tires for street riding.
I have given up the notion that the nc is any sort of adventure bike and I am picking up the new DRZ 400 s today. Every tool has a purpose!

It is not a Ducati roadracer and you are not Marc Marquez for crap sakes --change he tire that needs it and keep going-you will be unable to tell any difference
Well that was incredibly negative and unnecessary. Apparently you never learned the old axiom “if you don’t something nice to say, don’t say anything at all.”
So much for the nicest people riding Hondas.

I started changing my own tires just because of the fact that my rear tires wear about twice as fast as my front ones. In 45 years on two wheels, I’ve never had any adverse effects, even on sport bikes.
If I did track days I * might* change them in pairs, but I seriously doubt you can feel a difference or run into problems on standard roads.

Well I decided to replace both tires, avoid any possible issues for a $150 seems with it.
With 150 miles in, the new Michelin pilot 2ct tires are great. Huge improvement over stock tires for street riding.
I have given up the notion that the nc is any sort of adventure bike and I am picking up the new DRZ 400 s today. Every tool has a purpose!
DRZ400!! That will be great fun! Pics please?

You will love the DRZ, I will never part with mine.

In simple terms a bike handles best with two new tyres of the same type. Otherwise with tyres changed one at a time You never have the bikes handling at its optimum. I will go further to say that in my experience the OEM tyres supplied with most new bikes can be poor regardless of brand because they are made to the bike manufacturers spec.

Having said that, unless Your Insurance company have issues with the practice, You should be able to get away with it.
Tyres of the same type are the ideal combination. But I remember years ago we didn’t worry particularly about such things. When radial bike tires first came out I had a bias ply tire on the front, and a radial on the rear. By todays standards a big no no. The bike handled fine, and I was by no means a sedate rider.

Some people put car tires at the back of their bikes. They usually claim everything has improved. If you feel (or fear) that changing only one tire has negative effect, change them both. If not, don't sweat the small stuff.

Tyres of the same type are the ideal combination. But I remember years ago we didn’t worry particularly about such things. When radial bike tires first came out I had a bias ply tire on the front, and a radial on the rear. By todays standards a big no no. The bike handled fine, and I was by no means a sedate rider.
Many bikes even today come from the factory with a bias ply tire on one end and a radial on the other. Not mixing tire construction type on motorcycles is an old wives tale.

Back