• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Mirror replacement

LanceK

Reaction score
Visit site
So in my quest for a cheap solution to ridding my bike of buffeting, I removed my stock mirrors today. Rode down a few mile stretch of road with little to no traffic. Both with the mirrors and without the mirrors. There was less buffeting with the mirrors removed, but no way would I ride without mirrors! I did not like not being able to see what is behind me.

Has anyone used alternative mirrors that provide good visibility, and also help to reduce buffeting?

Aha! So, I'm not the only one to have struggled with the buffeting and noise on my stock 2022 NC750xDCT. After much experimenting to ascertain what was actually causing the issue, I found that it is no one thing but a combination of several, all of which depend on your own personal circumstances but mostly height and helmet. Firstly, I took off the stock screen and found perfection, that is until wind or rain presented themselves. I then installed a Palmer Products screen mount which allows the standard screen to be raised, lowered and tilted which helped but the stock screen was still insufficient. Then I installed a Givi screen which fits straight on to the Palmer Products mount, which dealt with the wind and rain issue, but not the noise problem. Then I noticed that the mirror housings are constructed with angles that they deflect the wind straight back at me. While riding I found that if I put my index finger up between my helmet and the direct line with the angled mirror housing, all remaining noise and buffeting instantly disappeared. It was hard to believe that just by raising one finger in the right place, all problems disappeared, but after repeating this ad nauseam I had to accept that this small intervention really cured the problem. So, I too looked around for after-market mirrors, but found nothing suitable and besides, would I just be replacing one problem for another with an unknow mirror. Finally, I experimented with adjusting the stock mirrors into a position they were obviously not originally intended for by tilting them up as far as they would go and then adjusting the angle until the housing was no longer pointing straight at me). Hey presto, it worked with only a slight loss of rear-view vision. I also discovered that my xl sized Schuberth Pro 4 helmet, which is obviously bigger/wider than most as it doesn't fit in the frunck (most frustrating considering the cost of the thing at nearly $700!) was also a contributor since the noise varied with the visor up or down. In the end I simply removed the visor, which is very easy on the Schuberth (no tools). This was not a problem for me since the Givi screen directs all wind over the visor and the tinted internally recessed half visor is what I usually use anyway (yes, I'm a fair-weather rider). Plus, I have prescription photochromic glasses so even when the tinted visor is up my eyes are still protected.
So, finally problem solved by turning my mirrors into 'Bunny Ears' as these photos below hopefully demonstrate. The first picture shows how the angled casing deflects the wind straight back to the cockpit, while the close-up picture of the mirror shows the angled casing that caused my issues. Hope this helps. IMG_20220911_110133546_HDR.jpgIMG_20220911_110145080.jpgIMG_20220911_110133546_HDR.jpgIMG_20220911_110145080.jpg

Bar-end mirrors might be an option?

I ended up cutting my Ermax screen short and applying a deflector in an angle on it, no more buffeting, but I do have wind.
(Note: I have a NC700S, so slightly different ergonomics)

I’ll give my mirrors a twist and see what happens
Hi Lance,
You might recall I replied to your earlier issue with wind buffeting from mirrors and I suggested turning the mirrors upward, which certainly helped but the rear view was compromised. Well since then I found SW Motech mirror extenders which puts the mirrors out just far enough that the wind deflection is now not an issue. Quality German kit and looks like OEM quality, if not better. See photo below. A small difference made a big difference. Same applied to SW Motech foot pegs to lower the peg height and change both foot and leg angle for a much more natural position. Pricey but the reward of quality lasts well after the thrill of a cheap price has gone.

IMG_20221007_144127571.jpg

IMG_20221007_145007468_HDR.jpg

Back