• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Mirror Disassembly

• Thread starter Deleted member 4372
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4372

Greetings
I would like to disassemble a generic motorcycle mirror to replace the stem.
“Why?” is not relevant.
Is there a way so to do without removing the glass; i.e. breaking the glass~and most likely destroying the gasket too?
I understand there’s a nut holding the connection between the glass “portion“ and the stem itself, accessed only from the glass side.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Multiple thanks.

Unless this mirror from the generic unit moves side to side or up and down to access a "possible " nut / screw......nope.

Yeah, I figure the same but was hoping someone had a trick to pull it off (pardon the pun)
Thanks for the reply!

If the mirror is held on with a gasket, penetrating oil (rubber safe) to prevent tearing the gasket in the process. If the mirror is glued in (common in the automotive industry) use heat, but be careful about the finish. Either way, get an automotive dent puller...ie a strong suction cup, to pull the mirror out of the frame. Not sure if it will give you the results you are looking for, be sure to wear eye protection.

Thanks for the tips. I'm not the most adept individual when it comes to prying and the like. I have found a few mirrors on ebay that might be more easily tweaked to do what I'm after. I don't foresee good things if I attempt to dismantle the mirrors in the "spares" box in my garage.
Thanks, again!

Back