• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Minnesota newb

Birdman

Reaction score
Visit site
....but not a motorcycle newb. New to NC ownership, and this forum. But have been riding since 1970. Many bikes. Some big and some fast. Now I'm more content with smaller rigs. Don't need the big HP.

But to be honest- and I'm looking for feedback/reaction here- I'm taking a while to build a relationship with my 2012 NC700x.

I studied it for some time before buying and liked the design brief. The low center of gravity, the fuel efficiency, the fact that I could probably pretty much do all my own maintenance, e.g. screw/locknut type valves.

So.....what's the relationship block?

Well, the ride. It's very good in terms of comfort. It's also fun to ride. But a bit lumpy. (getting used to that). But thrilling? Uh,.....That wouldn't be a verb I would use.

A good question the reader may be asking themselves, and directed toward myself, might be....'so what did you expect?'

Fair question.

And that leads me to a place of 'just be satisfied with good comfort, fun ride, Honda reliability, a design that allows me to do maintenance,' and leave it at that.

And then maybe find that "thrilling" piece somewhere else.

Best to all and thanks for 'listening.'

You said you’re looking for feedback/reaction. I’m not sure if you have a question or not. “A bit lumpy” might refer to the suspension or to the engine. The NC suspension is low budget, and many owners have done upgrade to improve the ride quality. Or, maybe you’re just talking about your impression of the overall ride experience; I don’t know.

The NC gave me everything I was looking for 8 years ago, and it still does.

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
....but not a motorcycle newb. New to NC ownership, and this forum. But have been riding since 1970. Many bikes. Some big and some fast. Now I'm more content with smaller rigs. Don't need the big HP.

But to be honest- and I'm looking for feedback/reaction here- I'm taking a while to build a relationship with my 2012 NC700x.

I studied it for some time before buying and liked the design brief. The low center of gravity, the fuel efficiency, the fact that I could probably pretty much do all my own maintenance, e.g. screw/locknut type valves.

So.....what's the relationship block?

Well, the ride. It's very good in terms of comfort. It's also fun to ride. But a bit lumpy. (getting used to that). But thrilling? Uh,.....That wouldn't be a verb I would use.

A good question the reader may be asking themselves, and directed toward myself, might be....'so what did you expect?'

Fair question.

And that leads me to a place of 'just be satisfied with good comfort, fun ride, Honda reliability, a design that allows me to do maintenance,' and leave it at that.

And then maybe find that "thrilling" piece somewhere else.

Best to all and thanks for 'listening.'

The NC is just a solid all-round bike. Not great in any particular area, but a very capable jack of all trades. You already named many of its attributes. Add to that the built-in storage, economy and ride-ability. A better all-rounder than most other bikes in my opinion. BUT... it ain’t sexy, no blinding chrome to turn a head. And a fairly tame performance for the most part. No surprises. But if all of that isn’t quite enough to scratch that undefined itch, you may just need a second bike. Less practical but a nice compliment to the NC.

At my stage, The NC pretty well suits my style and all my needs. But YMMV!!

Welcome to the club!

I found the same thing when I first got my NC700X ( 2013). It felt "lumpy", like it was missing, or not quite right. The suspension was ok, nothing to write home about, but that ENGINE...oh my, it seemed "underpowered", and required a lot more shifting than my ST1300. As I rode it more and more though, I began to appreciate the handling, and the "lumpiness" and clatter of the engine pretty much disappeared. It was still there, mind you, I just learned to ignore it. It has a sound like motorcycles of old, and as I rode it more and more, it seemed to break in to my style of riding, and became a really nice ride. i can't say I'm crazy about the styling, nor the loud clatter of the engine and tranny, but overall, it's just about a perfect second bike. I recently did a long ride on it in PA, and absolutely loved it. In fact, enough to consider selling my larger bike, and just keeping this one. ( that feeling dissolved when I got home, and rode the ST1300 again....it's just SO comfy!!)

I have found it to be a really good tool for around town riding, and it handles REALLY well in the twisty bits of road we have here. I love the gas mileage ( 70 MPG plus so far, even partially two up), and overall, it just works. I think, sometimes, we break into the bike, rather than the other way around. I'm really glad I got it.

Give it time, and appreciate it for what it is...a reasonably priced, fun bike to ride, with easy maintenance, lots of storage, and a LOT of accessories available.

Remember , Phaedrus rode a 28HP Brit bike across the USA, two up........

Welcome to the forum!

I found the same thing when I first got my NC700X ( 2013). It felt "lumpy", like it was missing, or not quite right. The suspension was ok, nothing to write home about, but that ENGINE...oh my, it seemed "underpowered", and required a lot more shifting than my ST1300. As I rode it more and more though, I began to appreciate the handling, and the "lumpiness" and clatter of the engine pretty much disappeared. It was still there, mind you, I just learned to ignore it. It has a sound like motorcycles of old, and as I rode it more and more, it seemed to break in to my style of riding, and became a really nice ride. i can't say I'm crazy about the styling, nor the loud clatter of the engine and tranny, but overall, it's just about a perfect second bike. I recently did a long ride on it in PA, and absolutely loved it. In fact, enough to consider selling my larger bike, and just keeping this one. ( that feeling dissolved when I got home, and rode the ST1300 again....it's just SO comfy!!)

I have found it to be a really good tool for around town riding, and it handles REALLY well in the twisty bits of road we have here. I love the gas mileage ( 70 MPG plus so far, even partially two up), and overall, it just works. I think, sometimes, we break into the bike, rather than the other way around. I'm really glad I got it.

Give it time, and appreciate it for what it is...a reasonably priced, fun bike to ride, with easy maintenance, lots of storage, and a LOT of accessories available.

Remember , Phaedrus rode a 28HP Brit bike across the USA, two up........

Welcome to the forum!
Ha! Yes, Zen and the Art.....touche'

Back