• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

mileage

Hondalf the Grey

Reaction score
Visit site
I checked my mileage for the first time today. Seems like I'm getting 75mpg! (3.14 liters per 100km...I think) Is this close to what you get? Seems like better than I expected. My Kaw KLR 250 gets about that. Also, I'm evidently NOT supposed to ask about oil. So...I noticed in the manual that Honda recommends that you NOT use oil tagged "energy conserving" in the spec stamp. I'm curious about that. Also, I'm thinking about using Mobil 1 full synthetic oil. My NC700X is a 2012, but has only 3000 miles on it. Thoughts? Thanks!

In general, "Energy Conserving" means the oil has additives that can destroy the clutch. It's fine for cars since the (dry) clutch isn't bathed in engine oil, but most motorcycles have wet clutches.

The reason NOT to use energy conserving oil is that those oils contain additives like molybdenum (moly) that will interfere with proper clutch operation.
The result will be clutch slipping.
Use only oils that have the JASO MA or MB rating on them, not oils that have the starburst energy label on them.
Generally, those oils are called motorcycle specific oil.
Honda makes some reasonably priced motorcycle specific oils.
Their GN-4 10W-30 mineral oil is what's recommended in the owner's and service manuals.
I believe your 2012 NC also accepts 10W-40 weight in the owner's manual.
No need IMHO to go with Honda's own synthetic motorcycle oils.

8k mile intervals on Honda GN4 10w-30 is all you need for oil. In my opinion, anyways. You can find the oil and filter(s) on ebay sold all together. Point, click, arrives on doorstep, change oil. It's super easy to do too.

I rarely get over 45-50 mpgs on my NC, but I tend to not be easy on the throttle.

I checked my mileage for the first time today. Seems like I'm getting 75mpg! (3.14 liters per 100km...I think) Is this close to what you get? Seems like better than I expected. My Kaw KLR 250 gets about that. Also, I'm evidently NOT supposed to ask about oil. So...I noticed in the manual that Honda recommends that you NOT use oil tagged "energy conserving" in the spec stamp. I'm curious about that. Also, I'm thinking about using Mobil 1 full synthetic oil. My NC700X is a 2012, but has only 3000 miles on it. Thoughts? Thanks!
I think typical gas mileage (US gallons) for the NC is around 65 mpg. If you ride it gently and don’t have too many wind drag accessories installed, 75 mpg and above is easily obtainable.

The owner’s manual specifies the recommended oil for the motorcycle. If you have reason to use oil that differs from the recommendations, you’re free to do so.

The primary reason for using recommended oil is to ensure that the wet clutch works properly and sees it’s expected lifespan.

8k mile intervals on Honda GN4 10w-30 is all you need for oil. In my opinion, anyways. You can find the oil and filter(s) on ebay sold all together. Point, click, arrives on doorstep, change oil. It's super easy to do too.

I rarely get over 45-50 mpgs on my NC, but I tend to not be easy on the throttle.
Hey, TacomaJD...Thanks, and let's see the NC track machine!

I think typical gas mileage (US gallons) for the NC is around 65 mpg. If you ride it gently and don’t have too many wind drag accessories installed, 75 mpg and above is easily obtainable.

The owner’s manual specifies the recommended oil for the motorcycle. If you have reason to use oil that differs from the recommendations, you’re free to do so.

The primary reason for using recommended oil is to ensure that the wet clutch works properly and sees it’s expected lifespan.
Thanks, 670cc...yes, I understand the wet clutch issue, but wasn't aware of the additives that would negatively affect wet clutch operation. I have only ever used motorcycle specific oil in any bike I've owned because all of them have had wet clutches. Is it BMW's or at least some BMW's that do not have a wet clutch? (not important...) I will check the mileage again when I refuel, but since I have a fuel gauge on the NC, I don't see a reason to be overly concerned about it. My son and I also ride enduros, and I definitely reset the trip odometer to zero at fill ups. I will be looking for new tires soon, because my NC (a 2012) still has the original tires on it and they are wearing out with about 3000 miles (4825-ish km) on them. The stock tires are suitable for dry pavement, but nothing else. I will be looking for a more aggressive tread (not as aggressive as knobbies), and any thoughts are appreciated.

I get 70/75 miles per Imperial gallon depending on speed etc etc. I have always used a semi synthetic 10/40 motorcycle specific oil.

Here ya go! Nothing really special about it. Built forks, sticky tires, EBC brake pads, Yoshi exhaust, and pretty stock otherwise.

View attachment 46358

View attachment 46359

And a vid. Go to my channel for more vids.

Awesome! Thanks! Not likely I'll ever be dragging my knees on a track, but I've always liked owning gear that is more capable than I am.

Wow. Wow. 62000 miles! Awesome. That's not a bike, it's an investment!
Some on here have lots more miles than I do....Now my 2007 Suzuki C50 Boulevard has almost 103,000 miles on her....still riding it but oem clutch is beginning to slip a little in 5th gear (when I twist the throttle hard)...

My NC700x may get a few more mpg if I ever would change the oem air filter (yea, I know!) and the oem plugs....I have the plugs in the tool box at home,,,but too hot and lazy lately to do it....got to convince myself to take all that tupperware off to get to the air filter...my 2009 g650gs which I traded, it was a 10 minute job...my c50 boulevard, it is a 5 minute job (including getting out the tools)....

Back