• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Mileage

In case I was unclear, how many total miles per tankful?

Generally the "low fuel light" comes on at about 2.7 gallons consumed.......so the math says......Some where between 160 and 203 miles and you still have .8-1.0 gallon left.

You can do the math for "total miles" after 250 miles you maybe walking and under certain conditions bone dry at 200 miles or less.

My low fuel indicator comes on at 190-210 miles like clock work. Your results will vary.

I think the farthest I've gone is around 240 miles, I average about 69 mpg, so I should be good for around 250 miles but I usually fill up shortly after the last bar starts blinking. Yesterday I filled up at 214.5 miles, 2.867 gallons, 74.817 mpg.

I fill up when I might not be able to make it to the next stop if I don't. But I've done 244. I had my Rotopax with me in case I ran dry (which I did not). there have been times I could have probably gone 300 but it's not a game I'd care to play without spare gas because mileage can vary too much and it's not always going to be how you think it is.

Showkey and Greenboy match my experience. Your right wrist will have a big impact on your mileage at highway speeds.

To answer your actual question directly, I have gone 302 miles on a single tank. I did not run out. It took 3.55 gallons to fill at the station. I duplicated that another time going 301 miles on a tank and also filling it with 3.55 gallons.

One other time I went 292 miles on a tank but chickened out because I didn't have spare gas along. That tank would have been my record breaker for distance if I had kept going, because I was getting 94.5 mpg.

Last edited:
sorry - didn't mean anything rude by that post, what I'm saying is the NC is an excellent fuel efficient bike :)

The best I have done is 245 miles on a tank and I had extra fuel on the bike so pushed it further than I would normally. The last bar had been flashing for a bit before finally finding a fuel station. I don't remember how much fuel I added but I think it was around 3.55 gallons. I ride my bike hard so I generally average 55-57 MPG and get around 200 miles a tank. I was riding a bunch of back roads the day I hit 245.

you folks know you have 3L of reserve yeah? you can see how much of it you used :)

EDIT: Disclaimer -> better confirm in your user manual but mine says 3L reserve.:D

Reserve is practically a specious concept anyway once you get rid of a fuel petcock ; }

Reserve is practically a specious concept anyway once you get rid of a fuel petcock ; }

Man I miss that leaver. When I used to get a new bike with a Petcock, I'd fill a 1 gallon can, strap it to the back seat and run the main tank dry, switch to reserve and head off pretty aggressively. The milage I hit at empty was the absolute reserve. After that one ride, I could run the main tank down, hit reserve and know I have a max of 50 miles.... (or what ever it was...)

Now with the NC, the "reserve" light goes on, then goes off, then on, then off for 10 miles, then on again... who knows how much fuel you actually have. I like the petcock better!!!
:D

Man I miss that leaver. When I used to get a new bike with a Petcock, I'd fill a 1 gallon can, strap it to the back seat and run the main tank dry, switch to reserve and head off pretty aggressively. The milage I hit at empty was the absolute reserve. After that one ride, I could run the main tank down, hit reserve and know I have a max of 50 miles.... (or what ever it was...)

Now with the NC, the "reserve" light goes on, then goes off, then on, then off for 10 miles, then on again... who knows how much fuel you actually have. I like the petcock better!!!
:D

The petcock reserve system was not infallible. Assuming your petcock was located on one side of the tank, when you got down to the level of the main pickup tube, leaning the bike left and right would slosh more fuel into the main upper pickup tube. Aggressive weaving or curvy road riding kept sloshing fuel in the carbs, even though when the bike was level the fuel was below the main level. When you finally had to switch the petcock over to reserve, there was less fuel left in the tank than you realized. I ran out of fuel one time in the '80s in the boonies because of this. I was able to borrow some from my riding buddie's tank.

The NC display (on models prior to the reserve "count up" feature) flips back and forth between bars due to the fore/aft level of the tank. Braking or going downhill lowers the readout. Accelerating or going uphill raises the readout level. The position of the sender and the odd shape of the tank is probably the cause of this behavior.

Last edited:
Back