• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Mileage so good it was scary

Windwalker

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been riding my NC700X for around 10 months now. I use it mainly as a commuter, 16 miles one way. Over the last 8 fill-ups I have been averaging around 76 mpg with a personal best of 81.9 mpg. I try and wait for the switch to reserve before filling up, and typically get a bit over 220 miles before the switch to reserve. This time I was at over 270 miles and still hadn't switched to reserve yet. I was starting to worry that my gas gauge was broken. I finally got so worried that I filled up before seeing the switch to reserve at 277 miles. The bike only took 2.8 gallons, which is normal for me if I fill up just after the switch to reserve. That comes out to 98.9 mpg. This is such a jump in mileage that I am wondering if the bike is running too lean or has some other problem. I have to admit that the conditions right now are just about perfect for getting good mileage. I am leaving for work later so am hitting more traffic, this keeps the speeds down in the 40 - 50 mph range instead of the usual 65 - 75 mph range. The temperature has been in the low 80's and I am pretty much always following another car which removes a lot of air drag. But still, I never dreamed the bike could get close to 100 mpg. I'll have to see what I get on the next tank full. The bike is still coming up with ways of surprising me.

I would think that is possible, my best mpg was riding in the Sierras topping out about 50 mph for short periods.

I got 84.6 mpg even though we climbed to ~ 8,000 ft 3 or 4 times during the ride.

Welcome to the ride WW. The mileage you experienced is not far-fetched. In similar circumstances as you described, my three best tanks have been 99, 98 and 94! Keep up the great riding, the NC is certainly an amazing MC. :{)

when my daughter and I rode over the Million dollar Highway (from Durango to Ouray, CO) she got 87 mpg, all over the west she was in the 80's 3 times and high 70's. Dropping your speed as you have described is a major factor. low wind and lower humidity also helps.

That's fantastic NC... Awesome "Smiles per Gallon" and time well spent with your daughter...Priceless! The MDH is on my list of rides. Tewster has some excellent pics/vids of that hwy, he has ridden it several times! If you haven't seen any of his, check out his Youtube channel, our fav of his is "Tiny bike to Alaska". :{)

Last edited:
That's fantastic NC... Awesome "Smiles per Gallon" and time well spent with your daughter...Priceless! The MDH is on my list of rides. Tewster has some excellent pics/vids of that hwy, he has ridden it several times! If you haven't seen any of his, check out his Youtube channel, our fav of his is "Tiny bike to Alaska". :{)
Here is a short video montage that my daughter made from that trip.

Took her for a 6000 mile trip out west and then dropped her off at college in UT.
Motorcycle Trip 2015 - YouTube

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Awesome vid 1wg, thanks for sharing that with us. Looked like an incredible ride, and time well spent with your daughter. :{)

Looked like a fun trip!

JT
It was. Unfortunately we couldn't make it out to the Pacific Coast Highway due to all the fires in 2015. We were 3 states away and it was still very hazy. Much like this year. T'was why I didn't go on a trip out west this year. Many fires and lots of smoke.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Darn, I was 'only' able to get 84 mpg and 85 mpg on my next two tanks. I guess I will just have to suffer. The bike has picked up a new quirk. When the fuel is fairly low (two bars or less left), the average mpg and miles ridden (using the A trip meter) suddenly get reset. It sounds similar to the problems reported with the 2014 bikes. The first time it happened I just kept riding until the dash tripped to reserve for real and filled up. The next time it happened I kept riding and the darn fuel meter never tripped to reserve and I ran out of gas. Fortunately there was a gas station fairly close by so I was able to push it to the station. I will call the dealer, I should still be under warranty. In the mean time I will switch to trip meter B and keep an eye on my miles ridden. I suppose I could pull the battery cable and see if an electrical reset helps.

Yes, oh darn!! that is fantastic buddy, great job squeezing that one out! I just went for another high mileage attempt last Saturday and grabbed a new personal best of 100.6 MPG!!! :{)

Back