• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Mig welding a kickstand while installed on the bike?

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
I had previously cut and welded my wife's kickstand to shorten it.

The weld on one side cracked when the bike got dropped while I was teaching our foreign exchange student to ride. It looks like I can fix the crack while the kickstand is still attached to the bike.

But I know there is a switch on the kickstand and am wondering if the welding can screw up the electrical system if I leave the stand on the bike? Mig welding runs electricity through the metal. Would disconnecting the bike's battery be enough? Or do I even need to do that? Or do I need to remove the kickstand from the bike?

I'll be using a Miller Passport welder.

I approach repair or modification procedures by first asking myself what all could go wrong. You are doing that, which is good. But what would be so hard about just removing the sidestand? There is no question, given potential problems that could arise, that I would remove the stand before I welded on it.

I approach repair or modification procedures by first asking myself what all could go wrong. You are doing that, which is good. But what would be so hard about just removing the sidestand? There is no question, given potential problems that could arise, that I would remove the stand before I welded on it.
Obviously I'm lazy and trying to see if it is safe to do it the easy way.

I'd also think it would be easier to do good welding with the thing off the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd highly recommend taking it off to weld it. Depending on how the welder is wired, it could cause some serious damage to the ECU, and other sensitive devices. Why take a chance?

When Ewan and Charlie did the long way round series, they had to do some welding on some part....They (whoever did the welding) forgot to disconnect the battery and fried some electrical components and the bmw was toast...(it was the bike their producer/principle videographer was riding).....better be safe than sorry....if the crack isnt too bad, you can always use JB Weld for boats or take it off the bike to weld it back. Might as well teach the girl how to weld while you are at it.....hehehe

Wire brushing and good ground
I had previously cut and welded my wife's kickstand to shorten it.
WOW!
Any vehicle in original condition is most valueable and safest.
I MIG and would never, ever do that. But doing it part on bike is like a lightning surge strike.
The bike computer would possibly be the loser.

I had an 82 CB900F w/a rubber footed side stand that reached out to a perfectly weighted lean.
IMO the stands on bikes are all too short and unstable.
The slightly longer footed stand were really nice. Maybe I'll email Honda Powersports
and try to plant a bug in the design departments' ears. I've been on bikes for 55 years.
The rubber foot back in the day made a huge difference. It contacted the ground first on deployment.
I don't believe I've ever seen a design like this on any other bike. These were on the CB F and C series bikes 80-83.

Last edited:
That rubber tab attached to the sidestand foot was the result of some lawsuits filed when the dopey owners rode off with the sidestand down. Nowaways with electronic controls, the engine will die if you put it in gear with the sidestand down.

Maybe I'll email Honda Powersports
and try to plant a bug in the design departments' ears.

I dropped a line to them today. As Lee above says it looks like Honda had them on several models.
The longer length and foot made a huge difference in soft conditions.
Even after 30 years of riding I still think back to that side stand; a testament to the good design.
Honda would do well in bringing The Foot back.

Last edited:
Back