• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Make sure to check your nuts...

MalcolmReynolds

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Went for a short jaunt last Sunday afternoon down to Bishop's Castle for any of you who are familiar with Colorado. First time me venturing away from close proximity of home on the NC. Was a good first trip on the bike(probably about 160-170 miles round trip). Took my time, but it was COLD up in those mountains... Got a feel for how the NC behaves on those curvy twisty roads, and maybe more importantly how it behaves on the straight highway jaunts to get to the fun twisty bits.

As I was returning home and slowed down for the traffic lights I heard a vibration/buzz sound coming from the bike. I couldn't place the location of the noise. So as soon as I got home I pulled out the wrenches and started looking everything over. Sure enough I had somehow lost a nylock nut and bolt from one of the Givi luggage mounts. And the other side just the opposite of the bike had managed to somehow back out and was loose as well. So I pulled out the instructions I had saved from the install and found the parts list so I knew what size the bolt was and ran to Lowe's to pick up the replacement. Picked up some extras and some Loctitie thread locker in case this decides to become a bad habit.

Got that replaced and went over everything to make sure everything else was good.

So here is my Public Service Announcement(PSA): So check your nuts before you lose them...

Speaking of thread lock. When I get new electronic stuff the included machine screws sometimes come with thread lock pre-applied at the factory.

True or false? A machine screw becomes a bolt when you put a nut on it.

1.jpg

Lost those bolts before, and the honda set screws, and the other day the nuts and plate for the chain adjuster on the right side. Fun fact, there are only about 5 dealers in the USA that keep that plate in stock.

Back