• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Maintenance

Bcsmith

Reaction score
Visit site
Good day to all. Just a couple questions regarding maintenance. I just purchased my NC750XS this spring. It was new in the showroom but a 2014 model year. I took it in for its first service at 1500km and all was good. I now am at 6000km and when I called to set up another service appointment I was told that I was not due until 10,000km. That seems like a lot of km on an oil change. I oil my chain every 1000km but that is the only maintenance that I do on my own. Just wondering what others have to say about their maintenance schedule???

In miles the oil change interval Honda recommends is once a year or 8,000 miles/12,875 km. Your dealer is telling you to change it after 8500 km if I understand correctly (10000-1500km) and that is only 5281 miles. Technically you could go to 14,374 km on the odometer for the full interval.

That said, I could never seem to ride more than 5000 or 6000 miles between changes myself so the dealer recommending it at 10,000 km would be 5281 miles. I could agree with that but Honda says you could go the full 12,875 km between changes.

Check your owner’s manual for the maintenance schedule. If it is like mine, it might say the recommended oil change interval is 12800 km or 12 months, whichever comes first.

Honda has been using this interval on some of their motorcycles for around 20 years. It may seem long, but I’m surprised that by now it hasn’t been extended longer. Many of my vehicles have change intervals as long or longer than the NC.

I change oil and filter every 8,000 miles. I clean my chain about every 500 miles or more frequent if riding on dirt roads. I clean and lube it with WD-40. Chain has over 17,000 miles on it and looks like new. That's the only maintenance that I have done.

So fellow NC riders I am now at 15,000 km and due to get the oil changed this fall. So far all I have done is a yearly oil change, new tires, chain maintenance. I am just thinking ahead to this fall maintenance. Is there anything else I should be looking at getting done? All my maintenance has been done by the Honda dealership where I purchased the bike. I did not get an owners manual when I purchased the bike so I am kind of in the dark. Such an easy bike to own. I will probably be around 17,000 km when the snow flys.

So fellow NC riders I am now at 15,000 km and due to get the oil changed this fall. So far all I have done is a yearly oil change, new tires, chain maintenance. I am just thinking ahead to this fall maintenance. Is there anything else I should be looking at getting done? All my maintenance has been done by the Honda dealership where I purchased the bike. I did not get an owners manual when I purchased the bike so I am kind of in the dark. Such an easy bike to own. I will probably be around 17,000 km when the snow flys.
An owner’s manual is readily available for download from Honda.

What is the age of the motorcycle? A brake fluid change may be due based on the bike’s age, even if the odometer reading is low.

An owner’s manual is readily available for download from Honda.

What is the age of the motorcycle? A brake fluid change may be due based on the bike’s age, even if the odometer reading is low.
It is a 2014 but I bought it brand new March of 2020. They even had another 2014 brand new for sale this spring. They were liquidating them in Canada. But regardless the brake fluid is that old.

Check in the little compartment at the bottom of the storage compartment. The manual may be hidden in there.

Brake fluid is probably good to change with age.

Two often overlooked items are coolant and fork oil. Looking at the 2015 manual, it calls for coolant every 8,000 miles. Fork oil is not mentioned at all.

I have a 2013, with the recommended valve adjustment interval of 8,000 miles (this was extended every 16,000 for later years, with identical engine), so I just drain and replace coolant (never flush) when I do the valves, since I like to unhook and remove the radiator for better access. (Some people just push it down out of the way).

If you do the valves every 16,000 mi, then doing the coolant a little less often is probably fine. It isn't as critical as engine oil, as long as it gets done at some point.

Thank you so much jt105 found the compartment and owners manual Is there anywhere I should be checking of the spare key? I only ever got 1 with the bike 3B9E0F16-CB4E-4E8A-8F83-185E09235287.jpeg

Back