• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

MADSTAD -Order -Unboxing -Installation

sumo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have ordered the MADSTAD Adjustable Windshield System for the 2016 NC7X models which is currently in transit.

Capture.JPG

Unboxing and installation coming soon.

Last edited:
You won't regret it!
I found the screws packaging a bit weird (4 separate coloured bags) and it took me a few minutes to understand how the two small aluminium brackets had to be positioned (as mentioned in the manual: below the support, FLAT face up, THEN insert the clips from the top.

One thing I discovered at the beginning of my second season with my madstad is the angle of the windscreen really affects how effective it is. Madstad suggests 60 degrees. I set mine with an inclinometer (simple one used in construction). It was only off by 5 degrees when set by eye but this really made the screen work much better. Great windscreens!

I received my windshield yesterday.

Sat Sep 17 Ordered. Windshield System $269.95 Shipping $60.20 Total $330.15 USD Paid by Paypal but MADSTAD will not charge until they ship.
Thu Sep 22 Email confirming my order has shipped via USPS. MADSTAD charges my Paypal but *only* $321.19 as the shipping came in lower. Great!
Tue Sep 27 Received via Canada Post. No brokerage fees, duty or any additional charges.

$321.19 USD = $420 CAD all in.

The box was a little flattened and one corner was crushed but inside all was well packed and in perfect shape.

I always check that I'm not missing anything. In the manual is a list of whats included. There are a bunch of things missing, nut plates, plastic ribbed push-rivets, rubber well nuts, split lock washers. Page two of the manual has a picture of a bracket, but it is not the same as my bracket. I think it's the 2015 manual.

Okay, so assuming that I have all the bolts and washers needed for the installation I set out to put this puzzle together and in short order I had it installed with no extra parts. Looks great! I thought about going for a ride but decided not and went to watch TV instead.

Today I set out to see how it feels. After 14,500 kms with the stock windshield I can say that the MADSTAD makes a world of difference. Somewhat better at 80 km/h but on the 401 (interstate) going 130 km/h it's a whole different ride. You really are sitting in your own little bubble, quite a nice change from stock.

I'm very happy with my one and only farkle. I seem to have gotten used to the seat and I'm getting by without a center stand...I think that engine guards and a rad protector might be next. I need new tires but they are not farkles.

Thanks for reading!

Whoops! Forgot the pics...

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
MADSTAD with stock shield behind for comparison.

4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

Last edited:
Sumo, can you post a few more pictures: the whole front end of your bike; whole front end from quarter angle (45 or so); and from the side - whole bike - level with the screen? Be much appreciated. Also, which size did you go with and how tall are you/inseam?

I'm 5' 9" with a 30" inseam and trying to decide between the 18 and the 20!

Again, much appreciated, thx!

Sumo, can you post a few more pictures: the whole front end of your bike; whole front end from quarter angle (45 or so); and from the side - whole bike - level with the screen? Be much appreciated. Also, which size did you go with and how tall are you/inseam?

I'm 5' 9" with a 30" inseam and trying to decide between the 18 and the 20!

Again, much appreciated, thx!

I'm 5' 11" 31" inseam. I ordered the 20" based on the website info for my height. You would be a 20" also I think.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

Hey sumo, my Palmer Products adjustable windshield mount looks a LOT like the Madstad bracket. I ordered an accessory bar that connects the 2 sides hoping that I'd get some mounting room AND stabilization.

Have you noticed any windshield movement when riding?

GunNut - how do you like the Palmer mount? I'm thinking of doing that on my CalSci to get some adjustability and the mounting area. I've been emailing with Iain before they went in holiday today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I got BarkBusters hand guards that stick out quite a bit past the brake/clutch levers. Do you see an issue with using those and this screen?

Hey sumo, my Palmer Products adjustable windshield mount looks a LOT like the Madstad bracket. I ordered an accessory bar that connects the 2 sides hoping that I'd get some mounting room AND stabilization.

Have you noticed any windshield movement when riding?

It seems pretty solid. I didn't notice any movement but will pay attention on my next ride. Please post some pics of your Palmer Products adjustable windshield mount.

GunNut - how do you like the Palmer mount? I'm thinking of doing that on my CalSci to get some adjustability and the mounting area. I've been emailing with Iain before they went in holiday today.

I love the Palmer mounts, to be honest. The vibration I asked sumo about doesn't bother me when looking at my phone for directions, but it plays havoc with my camera. I guess a windshield bracket isn't a smart place to mount a camera.

The adjustment points are impressive. I found the sweet spot on my 2nd try. I'm 5'11" with a 32 inch inseam and have an 18" Vstream. I put it all the way down and all the way back and get no wind on the interstate unless I stretch exaggeratedly (which I do to get wind in my top vent sometimes). If I put it all the way up an forward, I'm looking through the screen while riding, which I don't like, but that gives you a decent picture of how much adjustment you get.

Hope that helps.

So I got BarkBusters hand guards that stick out quite a bit past the brake/clutch levers. Do you see an issue with using those and this screen?

I've got my screen adjusted all the way down and all the way back, probably not the best setting but since I don't know any better it seems to work well. My theory is lower down and max tilt back is least wind resistance = best gas mileage. In this position, the closest possible, there seems to be enough room for Barbusters but I don't have any. I think the deflector 'wings' would be in the way, but will take them off when I get Barkbusters.

When I installed my BarkBusters it was necessary to trim about 1" off the lower edges of my Madstad. The winglets do not interfere on or off.

I love my Madstad. It's the first, and best thing I bought for the bike.
I went to their shop to have it installed.

I rode mine with the MadStat for the first time today. My observation: this screen is gonna drag my mileage waaaay down. Not because it's a barn door but because I found myself cruising 15 MPH faster! It is that effective. Comfort of a touring bike behind this hunk of Lexan. :D

I rode mine with the MadStat for the first time today. My observation: this screen is gonna drag my mileage waaaay down. Not because it's a barn door but because I found myself cruising 15 MPH faster! It is that effective. Comfort of a touring bike behind this hunk of Lexan. :D

That's hilarious, but SO true. Similarly, I used to only take secondary roads. Now that I have a windshield that works for me, I don't mind taking the interstate and it kills my mileage.

Back