• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Madstad or Givi?

Lsdpoet

Reaction score
Visit site
Trying to decide (quickly) between Madstad or Givi for my 2016 dct....I know the Madstad is much more expensive, but is it worth it? And how difficult is installation?
Thanks

I’m cheap. I’ve read and read on this subject, from what I’ve read I will be buying the madstad. The good reviews outweigh the price in my opinion.

Installation can’t be that difficult. If you run into questions I’m sure you can get quick answers here. Take your time and it shouldn’t be much trouble.

I have the 22" madstad with light tint on my 2022 NC750X. It works well, and I like how you can adjust the height and angle of the windscreen. The only annoying thing I have noticed is that the height adjustment screws sometimes loosen as I ride, and the windscreen lowers. But they have grips, so I just have to be more diligent about tightening them more often.

The Madstad works great for reducing wind buffeting. I no longer need hearing protection when I ride. Mileage has dropped a few MPGs, though, but it's worth it.

The light tint is barely noticeable. It does not affect night visibility in the slightest. Supposedly the tint helps hide scratches, which is why I got it. Medium tint should be fine for night time visibility too. The dark tint would probably hinder visibility.

Also, if you have handguards, they may hit the windscreen at full lock. It's worse if you tilt the windscreen towards you instead of away from you. The cheap ones my bike came with did, and I ended up cutting part of the handguards off and bending the flimsy mirror bracket mounts to make them work. I'm not sure if Barkbuster types would be better or worse for fitment. Handlebar risers that bring the handlebars towards you supposedly fix that. I have a set that I plan to install, and I can update if I notice much more clearance.

EDIT: Regarding installation... the 2022 has different fairings, but assuming the earlier models are not too much different, installation was not very difficult. I ended up removing the plastics for the USB charger installation, so I installed the windscreen at the same time. I found the pieces came off easiest when pulling from the seat side to the headlight side, and reinstalling from the headlight side to the seat side.

Try the Palmer products one it is similar to the Madstad but much more affordable. I have one and find it works well.

Palmer looks like a pretty good riff on the Madstad, but in the states it would probably just be easier and faster to get the Madstad.

Also, +1 for Madstad.
Excellent stuff. Had them on 3 bikes. I like 1 size taller than they suggest for my height.

Palmer looks like a pretty good riff on the Madstad, but in the states it would probably just be easier and faster to get the Madstad.

Also, +1 for Madstad.
Excellent stuff. Had them on 3 bikes. I like 1 size taller than they suggest for my height.
Yes I agree

The complaints I see about the Madstad are 1) expensive and 2) ugly
The compliments I see about the Madstad are 1) it works and 2) it works well
The complaints I see about the Givi are 1) it does not work and 2) it works if you add a secondary defector or modify it
The compliments I see about the Givi are 1) its cheap

I have Madstads on 2 bikes. Love them. I got them at the height recommended by Madstad. No complaints with the recommended height.

What I found with the Madstads is that I can ride longer/farther because the wind doesn't beat up my body, there is no wind buffeting on my helmet/face/torso. Most of my riding is border suburban and rural. Average speeds are 40+ on most of the roads. I've used the Madstads on long highway trips. For the riding I do I totally endorse the windscreen for light touring use.

In very hot & humid weather I find that I get hot behind the screen, especially if I am in suburban stop/go traffic and riding low speed so I wish I had a shorter windscreen.

In the cool fall and spring seasons I find that I wish I had a taller, wider one to keep more wind off me (something more like a HD Road King front end).

So I guess it does a darn good job in most weather and strikes a good balance.

I put a MadStad on my 2015 recently after having a couple CalSci's. Buy once, cry once for damned sure. The MadStad is the one to get. Ugly or not is a subjective thing ... unless you're just riding the shorty, any functional screen is kinda ugly if you don't like a big piece of plastic on the bike. The MadStad works, works very well, install easy, adjusts easy.

Installed same (MadStad) on my 2017 DCT but is not compatible with barkbuster’s hand guard. Yup, money down the can. HTH

Yes I did but no joy I then had a senior moment and attempted to « dremel » both sides … ahhh what mess. The horror show is still in my basement. I installed the original shield along with a top lip. All is good.

Now looking for highway pegs that fit 1.35” frame tubing and nothing available. Kuryakyn had some but no longer available.

I'm pretty happy with my Givi shield which I recently put back on for fall/winter riding. Blocks a lot of wind and I can ride with the face shield full open on my modular helmet. My only complaint is it looks gargantuanly tall and all out of proportions with the bike when I'm off the bike and looking at it from the front, but it does the job to my satisfaction.

VMh0XVFh.jpg

I’m cheap. I’ve read and read on this subject, from what I’ve read I will be buying the madstad. The good reviews outweigh the price in my opinion.

Installation can’t be that difficult. If you run into questions I’m sure you can get quick answers here. Take your time and it shouldn’t be much trouble.
I have simple skills and the install was pretty straight forward, just take your time to place the metal brackets before screwing it all down. There is a left and right bracket. Too easy

Trying to decide (quickly) between Madstad or Givi for my 2016 dct....I know the Madstad is much more expensive, but is it worth it? And how difficult is installation?
Thanks
I matched the palmer products frame with the Givi windshield and installation couldn't be simpler. It literally took just minutes as everything fits precisely into the original Honda screen placement. Now I have a screen that raises, lowers and tilts, plus I get Nav Bar. With the pound now at its lowest in decades it's a good time to buy UK stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_20220421_185135731_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220421_185135731_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 27
Back