• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Madstad 20" installed on 2018 NC750x & 18" installed on 2016 NC700x

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
Just finished installing a couple of MadStad windshields.

20" on the 2018 NC750x
18" on the 2016 NC700x

Brackets and hardware are identical for each bike, completely interchangeable between the two.

2 minor foibles during the install. On the 2016 I dropped one of the black finished nuts and was unable to find it. Had to substitute a stainless lock nut. Blame that one on user incompetence and fat fingers. On the 2018 the fault lies squarely with MadStad. They accidentally shipped 4 plastic washers instead of 4 metal washers for the Wing Deflector install. The plastic washers don't fit the bolts used to install the Wing Deflectors. I could have drilled them out and used them but instead just decided to skip them as I could not find any stainless washers that fit in my parts bins. Other than these 2 minor issues the install was pretty quick and frustration free.

Overall I'm pleased, they look great, clearly will offer more wind protection on long rides. I have NOT taken either out on the road as I am recovering from being rear ended yesterday while I sat at a stop light (I was in a pick up truck).

Looking forward to trying these out on the street and to get them adjusted for myself and my wife. Love the NC7x bikes but at highway speeds I want to stop the wind buffeting on my upper chest.

Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 1.01.10 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2018-10-13 at 1.00.53 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2018-10-13 at 1.00.33 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2018-10-13 at 1.00.15 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2018-10-13 at 12.59.57 PM.jpg

melensdad,

Since Madstad will sell you any windscreen with their brackets, can you tell me which one you bought?

Also, if you don't mind my asking, how tall are you and what is your inseam? Your wife might not want to pass those along.

I am 5'8" tall with a 29" inseam and weigh........230'ish.....before lunch, and was leaning toward the 20" NC 750x screen, or the 20" 'Adventure Slim'.

Thanks for any insight you wish to pass along.

Slo_Rider

Last edited:
melensdad,

Since Madstad will sell you any windscreen with their brackets, can you tell me which one you bought?

Also, if you don't mind my asking, how tall are you and what is your inseam? Your wife might not want to pass those along.

I am 5'8" tall with a 29" inseam and weigh........230'ish.....before lunch, and was leaning toward the 20" NC 750x screen, or the 20" 'Adventure Slim'.

Thanks for any insight you wish to pass along.

LookingHard
My wife is 5'9" tall with an inseam of roughly 29". She has the 18" windscreen installed on her 2016 NC700x.

I am 6' tall with a 33" inseam. I mounted the 20" windscreen on the 2018 NC750x.

I sat on both. I see well over the top of the 18" windscreen. I look over the top of the 20". I would suspect that she will be looking at the top edge of the windscreen if she rides my bike.

As it was explained to me by the folks at MadStad, they want you to be looking over the top of the windscreen and not through top edge or at the top edge. At 5'8" with a 29" inseam I'd guess you would not want a 20". I'd be too worried that the top edge of the windscreen would be right in your sightline instead of being comfortably below the sight line.

Remember these are adjustable windscreens. The idea is to adjust the height UP or DOWN and adjust the ANGLE of the windscreen to create a low pressure bubble that directs the wind over your head so you ride inside a comfortable bubble of low pressure air. When initially mounted, the windshields are set for their lowest position and at roughly mid-angle. So if you buy a screen that is too tall you can't really lower it. If you buy a screen that needs to be raised a bit, there is adjustability for a bit of raising of the screen.

Windscreen..........

melensdad,

I just sent you a note over at another board about this because I didn't look here first. Sorry for being such an idiot and thanks for the input.

Wanting to keep whatever screen I buy closer to the bike, I bought Buundt adjusters so I will not have quite the range the Madstad adjusters have.

Again, thanks for the input and sorry for tagging you on two boards.

Slo_Rider

melensdad,

i just sent you a note over at another board about this because i didn't look here first. Sorry for being such an idiot and thanks for the input.

Wanting to keep whatever screen i buy closer to the bike, i bought buundt adjusters so i will not have quite the range the madstad adjusters have.

Again, thanks for the input and sorry for tagging you on two boards.

Slo_rider

no problem

First real test of the MadStad windscreens and I'm pretty impressed with the protection. Finally got out onto the highways.

Both my wife and I noticed that there was no buffeting across our chests/shoulders/faces at high speeds. We both noticed that our helmets seem a bit louder, and I noticed that my head is on the edge of the buffeting so its ALMOST dialed in as I initially installed it. I think mine may need to be adjusted up about an inch or so? But the angle seems to be spot on. My wife was a bit less certain but she said its a noticeable improvement.

We were out on 2 and 4 lane rural divided highways for a nice ride, temps in the mid-50's (F) and both were noticeably more comfortable behind the MadStads.

Still trying to find the perfect spot for my wife's windshield. Rode for 53 miles in the low 50's and she was cold. Raised it about 1.25" and we will try again, but preferably on a sunny day.

Back