• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

MABDR anyone.

drdubb

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Since it was first announced, I've wanted to do the MABDR. Prior to its development, others had laid out the TET, a series of trails and roads from FLA to New England. I'm told the NC can handle it, although there is a rocky section where I would worry about the cast rims.

I live close enough, (Raleigh/Durham. NC) to get to the start and ride a section in one day. While I would not attempt until spring/summer of 2020, I was thinking about riding up this summer, do a section, motel one night and ride home the next day. I was thinking section 2. Its only 78 miles long and is supposed to be one of the more enjoyable sections of the route.

I have surgery planned for Sept. 16 and that is the reason I would not attempt this fall. I am 65yo and starting to have health issues.

Anyone else thinking about doing this trip?

I'm too far away to join you but it looks like a great ride! I was born in Altoona, grew up in Ohio and I would love that ride when the leaves are changing.

I had never heard of the BDR, just recently ran across a reference and googled it. Found that they have an 1178 mile route through NM that starts at the Mexican border and goes all the way north to Colorado. Looks like fun, I'm starting to plan.

I'm too far away to join you but it looks like a great ride! I was born in Altoona, grew up in Ohio and I would love that ride when the leaves are changing.

I had never heard of the BDR, just recently ran across a reference and googled it. Found that they have an 1178 mile route through NM that starts at the Mexican border and goes all the way north to Colorado. Looks like fun, I'm starting to plan.

there are bar's in Colorado, Utah, Washington, New Mexico, etc. check butler maps

Because of Dale's interest in the BDR, i too looked it up for my state. It looks like it would be a great time, though i'd have to do it solo. Maybe i'll do the Canadian stretch first and see how that goes, then ride south another time all the way down to the Nevada line!

I agree with both of you, what a kick that'd be!!

:{)

Who has done the Mid-Atlantic Backroads Discovery Route (MABDR) on a NC750X and do you have a manual or DCT bike? I would like to do a few of the Pennsylvania sections in 2023. I woulld think the minimum addition would be racks and luggage, adv tires, a bash plate, and crash bars. Any other recommenadtions for needed gear?

You're reviving an old thread for a worthy topic.
I rode the MABDR on my KLR. I do however also have a NC750X DCT to play with. An NC750 will do just fine on nearly all of the MABDR. All of the PA sections will not be a problem. The kit you mentioned above would be a good idea however the appropriate tires would be the only hard requirement. All the other items would only be "suggested".
Recognize the limits of the NC750 rims as you deal with larger rocks and deeper potholes. This usually just means not hitting them at speed.
Other recommended kit? Some decent riding gear with some level of joint protection will always serve you well. Pack water, use a GPS (I dislike using phones for multiple reasons) and know how to plug a hole in your tire and how to re-inflate on the road.
Enjoy! The MABDR is a lot of fun and if possible should be enjoyed with friends.

I hadnt heard of this but it looks great and there is another one in new england so I could connect them.

I dont know if I want to put my NC through it and would have to change some things if I did.

The MABDR is the easiest one. The NABDR (which I have not ridden) has rougher terrain and requires a little more skill and as I understand it requires a bit more of the bike.
More info than you can shake a stick at here ---> https://ridebdr.com/

I took a look at the Northeast one looks fun. Goes within a mile of a family house I have up in the catskill mountains. so many great rides there.

I've ridden a lot in Arkansas (rocky ground) and did the COBDR on my NC. The cast wheels are not an issue as long as you keep the tires at 25psi or higher. I have taken a small chunk out of the front rim at 20psi. Interestingly I didn't loose air and only found it a few days later while washing.

Back