• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Luggage box: is it real waterproof?

Markino

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,
have you ever tested if the luggage box is waterproof in any conditions?
I'm thinking to buy the NCX and as I probably will park my bike all time outdoor I'd like to be sure about waterproof of the luggage box.

Thanks!

Hi Markino I'm sure that you do not want to put your bike into a swimming pool so yes the top box is waterproof. Here in the UK we have had the wettest summer since records began so I have had plenty of rides to work in torrential rain. So far the box has remained 100% waterproof

You lucky guys with a top box, do you have the Honda 45 liter or 35 liter box? I prefer the 35 liter (as it is less sensitive to sidewinds) and have plans to get one IF it can get mounted directly on the luggage rack without any extra mounting bracket/plate/or whatever. When I take the top box off I only want to see the luggage rack. So how does it work?

Thnaks man! ;)

Obviously I'm not going to put her in the wsimming pool! ah ah!!!
i think that riding and parking in a torrential rain it's a good test.
Washing with "high" pressure and parking the bike in the snow can be a very stress test. ;)
We'll see...

Thanks!

Hi Markino and Chris,
Does one of you mean the "false tank box" while the other is talking about the Honda / other-brand topcases?
I have topcase Honda 35L, but I have not yet subjected it to any jetspray etc. I had parked the bike and there was a torrential rain once. Nothing went into either compartment.

However I do not think it is super watertight. Rain is ok. Parking in rain is ok.
~Joe
:D

The false tank box is not completelely waterproof. I got caught in the rain yesterday and I had to park the bike during a torrential rain of about 45 minutes and things inside the box got a little damp...I wouldn't say wet. I will say the bike and the Metzeler tires handled great in the rain.

When I bring it in for the 1st service, I will have the dealer inspect it to see if there is something wrong with the seal or maybe the lock needs to be adjusted.

The false tank box is not completelely waterproof. I got caught in the rain yesterday and I had to park the bike during a torrential rain of about 45 minutes and things inside the box got a little damp...I wouldn't say wet. I will say the bike and the Metzeler tires handled great in the rain.

Sorry to ask the obvious....did you shut tight the false tank? :p
We have had some weird torrential rains (say 20 mins) in Switzerland, and my bike was in it. No water, anywhere.
Check your rubber lining.

My X has been out in a few downpours in 'sunny' Scotland this summer and it's been bone dry so far.

Rain in Scotland surely not/ :)
I must admit when I came up on my Crossrunner earlier in the year we only had one period of heavy rain and that was at night +drizzle on the way home to Kent
On way day all the bikers at The Green Welly & Glenn Coe were actually complaining that they were too hot in their bike gear

Attachments

• dcp_4143.jpg
    dcp_4143.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 41
Great picture !
Did you visit before the midges came out - been known to make a grown man cry !
I think it has been the same all over, can be nice one minute but flash floods next.

Sorry to ask the obvious....did you shut tight the false tank? :p
We have had some weird torrential rains (say 20 mins) in Switzerland, and my bike was in it. No water, anywhere.
Check your rubber lining.

Yes Joe, the tank was fully latched. I was parked uphill and maybe that made a pool along the seam between the door and the body that seeped in. As I said I will have the dealer take a look to see if something is out of place or misaligned since no one else seems to be having this issue.

Great picture !
Did you visit before the midges came out - been known to make a grown man cry !
I think it has been the same all over, can be nice one minute but flash floods next.

No and due to the fact that the hotel was right on the Loch I made a good takeaway for the midges
It has been lovely down here all week. Forecast for the weekend sunny with temp up to 31C. This is some consolation for my cancelled trip to N.Ireland where I believe the weather is not so good. I'm still on leave until next friday so more trips out on the bike are called for.
Fish & Chips at the seaside in Hastings followed by ice cream from the new italian parlour seems a must

Last edited:
Yes Joe, the tank was fully latched. I was parked uphill and maybe that made a pool along the seam between the door and the body that seeped in. As I said I will have the dealer take a look to see if something is out of place or misaligned since no one else seems to be having this issue.

TBH, I don't think the false-tank is super watertight.
I'd say it will not stand up to a real water-tight test.
It is just "enough" for rain and so on. Perhaps your case was a good showcase that it isn't that waterproof?
I had parked my bike horizontal (sea-level-ish) so maybe you have a point about parking it at an angle.

If you have something that needs to be water-protected, just use a ziplock bag.

Back