• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Low fuel warning failure

cattmando

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On my 2016 XD, the low fuel warning has quit working. I had let the miles build until really concerned about running out. Fill up took 3.625 gallons, too close for comfort. Already checked, the fuel level sensor isn't available separately, it's included with the fuel pump at ~$500.

I can live without but just an added aggravation. Anyone else suffered such?

Last edited:
Sorry, that sucks. Last week danix was talking about an NC which was being parted out, perhaps you could touch base, fix your problem and save some loot.

Are there no fuel pumps from other vendors that fit the bike? For the WR250R which also had a ridiculously priced OEM pump, people found ones on eBay and elsewhere that were not such ripoffs.

Also have you been able to inspect it yet? On the WR the sensor could be adjusted for height.

Inspection will be difficult. I understand that in order to inspect the fuel pump or gauge sender, the fuel tank needs to be removed from the frame. This is doable but not a simple task.

Ouch. There's not even a part number for it. Seems tho like something that could be re-used from a fuel pump assy that was replaced. Probably a common Honda part as well.

ETA: The CRV sensor looks awfully similar.

Last edited:
Inspection will be difficult. I understand that in order to inspect the fuel pump or gauge sender, the fuel tank needs to be removed from the frame. This is doable but not a simple task.
Another point for dualsport/dirtbike bodywork ; }

This was actually the ONE issue I've ever had with my bike. I emailed Honda but inexplicably they wanted to call me in response. I'm not into that so I just took my bike to the shop assuming warranty would be honored.

I was riding along before I knew my range and going down a hill the engine dies without warning. Won't restart. Coast to the bottom and pull off the road. Tank's virtually empty. No warning flash.

Had a bear of a time not coming across like a doofus to the shop. I said "fuel light" as a shorthand and I was Corrected: the NC doesn't have a fuel light! Oh how irritating. Yes, it had worked before. Yes, I read the manual before riding the thing.

Anyway, end of the story was they drained my tank, refilled it, found nothing wrong, charged me (not Honda) $300 for the pleasure. Hasn't gone wrong since

My name is Janus, and thanks for coming to my TEDtalk

Last edited:
Should have posted sooner, but... 3 tanks later, the low fuel warning began working again. All seems good now. Stuck float?

Glad it worked out . My 2014 [ bought new 2018 ] has 2K miles and it jumps from 2 bars to red flashing bar at will , then back for a bit. always needs 2.7 Gal to fill

Glad it worked out . My 2014 [ bought new 2018 ] has 2K miles and it jumps from 2 bars to red flashing bar at will , then back for a bit. always needs 2.7 Gal to fill
My 2012 fuel gauge does the 2 bars to red flashing switch several times before settling on red flashing. The fuel shifting forward or back in the tank temporarily changes the gauge readout level. When I brake or go downhill, my gauge will temporarily indicate a lower fuel level. If it’s near a point of switching “bar count” it may flip back and forth for 5 miles or so.

Back