• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Loose Kickstand Fit on 2022 NC750XD

MtnBkr47

Reaction score
Visit site
I just added a larger steel plate to the bottom of the existing Kickstand pad so my NEW bike doesn’t risk falling over into soft soil sometime. When I removed the Kickstand for rework, I noticed that all the contact and wear on the original pad was on the inside heel. Then I noticed that the knuckle joint at the top of the tube had excessive face clearances, considering they are all machine parts (.016” total clearance). The face clearance is uniform over the fork (not tapered). This large face clearance allows the Kickstand and pad to slide way outward when the bike is leaned over and end up with contact at just the inside heel. Also, it allows the bike to lean further over to a less comfortable attitude.

When I reassembled that joint, I installed a .014” thick washer shim to take up most of the clearance, and the new pad came down flat and barely slid. Since all the mating faces are machined and can probably be held to a few mils clearance, just wondering why Honda had so much clearance in that joint. It just seems you would want to pad to contact fairly flat (not dig into your surface), and also not let the bike lean too far over.

1649448944110.png

Just a thought on your comment about the bike leaning over a long way before you shimmed the side stand. Maybe it was intentional on Honda’s part to enable shorter riders swing their leg over the seat easier. Even at 6’2” I find swinging my leg over harder than other bikes I’ve ridden.

Yea, it is hard to Leg it over especially if you have a pack on the Pillion, which I am now planning for.
Just thinking they probably would have changed the Kickstand angle if they wanted to lower the bike for mounting... rather than loosen the fit and function.

My 2012 NC700X also had a sloppy fit at the sidestand pivot. I added a shim washer to take the wiggle out of the sidestand.

Post #1090 in this thread shows details: https://nc700-forum.com/threads/202...r-nc700-nc750-today.18280/page-55#post-244121

Speaking of Honda in general, I think they are hit and miss getting the sidestand length and angle correct. My 2017 Honda CRF Rally, a taller bike with over 10 inches of rear wheel travel, stood too upright because the sidestand was too long. I ended up getting the shorter stand from the standard L model and then adding a wider pad to the bottom. The bike’s lean angle is correct now but the foot angle at ground contact is a little off. I mention the CRF situation only to illustrate that Honda doesn’t get the sidestands right all the time.

Last edited:
Back