• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Looking to add an additional brake/tail light for more visibility from the rear, any suggestions?

16DCT

Reaction score
Visit site
I would like it to act as a taillight and then illuminate brighter when I'm on the brakes. I hear Denali makes a few like this, are those any good?

Custom Dynamics DOT approved multi-function license plate frame. Adds rear running light, license plate light, brake light and turn signals. If all the factory lights fail, and you have this license plate alone you meet the DOT requirements for rear lighting on your bike. I installed it on my bike because I tend to ride in the late evening/night frequently.

I also purchased some cheap chinese dual function strip lights that I attached to my Hepco & Becker panniers using quick attach wiring couplers. They offer running light and turn functions. They are supposed to be "extra bright" but they are not even close to as bright as my Denali DRL fork mounted lights. At some point I will replace them with better quality lights as they are all but invisible during sunny rides.

So the rear of my bike has triple redundant running lights, triple redundant turn signals, double brake lights, double license plate lights. My wife has AdMore lights installed inside her Givi V35 panniers.

fullsizeoutput_72ac.jpg

Custom Dynamics DOT approved multi-function license plate frame. Adds rear running light, license plate light, brake light and turn signals. If all the factory lights fail, and you have this license plate alone you meet the DOT requirements for rear lighting on your bike. I installed it on my bike because I tend to ride in the late evening/night frequently.

I also purchased some cheap chinese dual function strip lights that I attached to my Hepco & Becker panniers using quick attach wiring couplers. They offer running light and turn functions. They are supposed to be "extra bright" but they are not even close to as bright as my Denali DRL fork mounted lights. At some point I will replace them with better quality lights as they are all but invisible during sunny rides.

So the rear of my bike has triple redundant running lights, triple redundant turn signals, double brake lights, double license plate lights. My wife has AdMore lights installed inside her Givi V35 panniers.

fullsizeoutput_72ac.jpg
I like that license plate frame a lot, but I wonder about the DOT approval. I thought US vehicle code specified a certain minimum spacing is required between the two turn signals, and it was more than the width if a license plate frame. Anyway, it looks cool.

I removed the reflector right below the licence plate, and screwed into the plastic a Whelen TIR3 lighthead.
It was an easy task to tap into the hot brake light wire and ground wire from the stock brake light.
The Whelen is programmable for flash patterns, or it can just go solid to mirror the stock tailight operation.
It is only one intensity: BRIGHT!

I like that license plate frame a lot, but I wonder about the DOT approval. I thought US vehicle code specified a certain minimum spacing is required between the two turn signals, and it was more than the width if a license plate frame. Anyway, it looks cool.
Just remember this was a supplemental light, so original turns were still in place-this just added a sequential light pointing toward the factory turn signal

Just remember this was a supplemental light, so original turns were still in place-this just added a sequential light pointing toward the factory turn signal
I wasn't talking about it as supplemental lighting. I was referring to melensdad's statement, "If all the factory lights fail, and you have this license plate alone you meet the DOT requirements for rear lighting on your bike." In his "if" example, the OEM turn signals failed, yet the supplemental light supposedly met DOT requirements, which is what I questioned.

The Whelen strobe head is good. I've mounted a Whelen before and other brand LED strobe heads as good or better for the particular bike. The Feniex T3 I have on my current NC is as bright as a Whelen but not it's not as tall so it doesn't block the stock license plate lighting from illuminating the license tag. It mounts in place of the OEM rear reflector.

Thanks for all the responses. I will be doing some more research on this.

I'm new to wiring so I don't want something super complicated with integrated turn signals. I just need the running light + the brake light. Mounting it right under the license plate seems like a good spot to me.

Thanks for all the responses. I will be doing some more research on this.

I'm new to wiring so I don't want something super complicated with integrated turn signals. I just need the running light + the brake light. Mounting it right under the license plate seems like a good spot to me.
I'm a mechanical and electrical idiot but even I can figure out basic wiring. I found a PDF file of Honda wiring for the NC7--x bikes on the internet. Searched out the color codes for the brake, tail and each turn lights. Found the wires after removing a bit of plastic and used simple wire taps to connect to the factory wires. If I can do it you can do it. The key is finding the files on the inter-webs. Not sure if the 2021 wiring diagram has been posted anywhere. But the 2012 to 2015 wiring is all the same. The 2016 to 2020 is also the same.

I'm a mechanical and electrical idiot but even I can figure out basic wiring. I found a PDF file of Honda wiring for the NC7--x bikes on the internet. Searched out the color codes for the brake, tail and each turn lights. Found the wires after removing a bit of plastic and used simple wire taps to connect to the factory wires. If I can do it you can do it. The key is finding the files on the inter-webs. Not sure if the 2021 wiring diagram has been posted anywhere. But the 2012 to 2015 wiring is all the same. The 2016 to 2020 is also the same.
Did you have to disassemble the whole fender? I can see some wiring underneath the pillion seat. Is there a recommended area to tap into wires with posi-taps?

Did you have to disassemble the whole fender? I can see some wiring underneath the pillion seat. Is there a recommended area to tap into wires with posi-taps?
If I recall correctly I accessed it from the underside by removing a handful of screws. I did NOT remove the fender or do any major disassembly, pretty sure it was just one piece from the underside. I remember it being fairly easy task to get to all the wires, to sort them out by color/markings, then just tapped into them. I used Posi-Taps which made the job even simpler. I wired the license plate frame light/system & the tail/turn lights for the side cases at the same time since. https://www.posi-products.com/posiplug.html

On the 2013 there is just a single screw that holds on the rear inner fender. There is a set of three connectors, brake/tail (3-pin) and 2x turn signals (2-pin) in there that connect the lights to the bike. You can tap into of those. May have to remove more of the tail assembly for routing the wires, but you can at least get at the connections with just a single screw.

I would like it to act as a taillight and then illuminate brighter when I'm on the brakes. I hear Denali makes a few like this, are those any good?
I have no idea about the Denali but I run a pair of Whelen TIR3 on the back of my bike. They are pretty robust which is why you see them on law enforcement and first responder vehicles. They also have a bunch of different patterns that you can use. No issues after lots of miles in all kinds of weather. I've set mine to strobe three quick flashes, stop and repeat while I'm on the brakes. I've looked at a couple of different brands made specifically for motorcycles and wasn't all that impressed with the light output or quality but my experience is limited and I might have missed some good ones.

I'm not sure if there is a method to program the Whelen to act as a running lamp. Mine are only used when actually braking.

Coming from the brake lighting on a GL1800 I found the dim red candle on the back of the NC somewhat wanting ;-)

IMG_6260.jpg

My observations of lighting is that Denali, Whelan and several other name brands are good.

My definition of "good" is they are
1) well made and suitable for all weather
2) they are as bright as sunshine and can pierce the eyes of the distracted drivers behind you while burning a notification into their retina that you are stopped and/or turning so they realize they need to put down their mini-idiot screen and apply some brake pressure.

Occasionally you can stumble upon some cheap chinese imports that might be good too, sadly I did not.

Sadly, some, like my budget friendly commie import lights, are great for night driving but not so much for day driving as sunlight overpowers the LEDs and leaves them looking like a single candle burning a mile a way in a dark restaurant while you are trying to read the wine menu to order something that will impress your willing and nubile young date.

My observations of lighting is that Denali, Whelan and several other name brands are good.

My definition of "good" is they are
1) well made and suitable for all weather
2) they are as bright as sunshine and can pierce the eyes of the distracted drivers behind you while burning a notification into their retina that you are stopped and/or turning so they realize they need to put down their mini-idiot screen and apply some brake pressure.

Occasionally you can stumble upon some cheap chinese imports that might be good too, sadly I did not.

Sadly, some, like my budget friendly commie import lights, are great for night driving but not so much for day driving as sunlight overpowers the LEDs and leaves them looking like a single candle burning a mile a way in a dark restaurant while you are trying to read the wine menu to order something that will impress your willing and nubile young date.
My inexpensive imported auxiliary lights aren’t anything like the ones you describe at the end of your post.

You may have already made your decision, but I just saw this thread. I've had Skene P3 lights on my current and last three motorcycles. They are very bright, offer different brightness settings and flash patterns, and also act as a second pair of blinkers. Never had a problem with them, and while it may be my imagination, it seems that cars keep a greater distance back from me, both when riding, and when stopped at a light. $165. Here's a link.

Back