• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Looking For NC700X Rear Trunk

smokeydog865

Reaction score
Visit site
Good day everyone;

Not sure where to post this but I am looking for a rear trunk. I was looking at buying the OEM Honda Trunk but it seems really big. I read that it can hold two full face helmets. If that is true, that really is a HUGE trunk.

What do you all have on yours and if you have one for sale, by all means, please let me know. I, of course, would need the correct mounting bracket and hardware.

The side compartments can come later...

It is not really huge. It doesn't fit two helmets unless you have two tiny heads. It's only 45L.

I wish it was bigger.

I have a Givi v56.....its rather huge, but after its first use I never wanted anything smaller. Keyed to match sidecases and I added an Admore light kit (which I feel was overpriced for the illumination offered.. Quality case that I would recommend..

Attachments

• 0522191105.jpg
    0522191105.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 28
The Honda trunk is a rather expensive option, because not only do you need to buy the trunk, but you also need to replace the passenger grab rails with a different style, and you also need to buy the rack that the trunk attaches to.

Buying aftermarket cases, for example Givi, will probably cost you less for mounting hardware, and offer you a greater selection of compatible cases styles amd sizes to chose from.

The Honda trunk is a rather expensive option, because not only do you need to buy the trunk, but you also need to replace the passenger grab rails with a different style, and you also need to buy the rack that the trunk attaches to.

Buying aftermarket cases, for example Givi, will probably cost you less for mounting hardware, and offer you a greater selection of compatible cases styles amd sizes to chose from.
One can also take the Givi cases and put them on another motorcycle with the same mounting Givi mounting interface. The same cannot be said about my OEM cases.

I like how the OEM cases look over the square boxes, and my wife appreciates the cutouts for her legs when riding pillon. We're not so crazy about them when deciding what to take and what to leave behind.

Definitely like saddlebags over topcases though. It's good to keep the weight down low. It's what makes the NC special!

I have the GIVI Trekker Outbacks. 37L side cases and 42L top box. The top box holds one full face helmet (Nolan N103). I have the waterproof liner bags so the boxes stay on the bike. I got the matched key/lock set as well. This combo has worked well for long weekend (4 night) travel two up if we pack light. For long trips I now have a trailer to pull behind the NCX.

Definitely like saddlebags over topcases though. It's good to keep the weight down low.
Topcases only for day stuff, myself. I just never load anvils in them when going off the pavement or doing slow parking lot manuevers ; }

I have a Givi v56.....its rather huge, but after its first use I never wanted anything smaller. Keyed to match sidecases and I added an Admore light kit (which I feel was overpriced for the illumination offered.. Quality case that I would recommend..
Thank you. That is a huge trunk. lol

One can also take the Givi cases and put them on another motorcycle with the same mounting Givi mounting interface. The same cannot be said about my OEM cases.

I like how the OEM cases look over the square boxes, and my wife appreciates the cutouts for her legs when riding pillon. We're not so crazy about them when deciding what to take and what to leave behind.

Definitely like saddlebags over topcases though. It's good to keep the weight down low. It's what makes the NC special!
Thank you for your feedback. I just thought going with 1 case mounted would be lighter than 2. Also it wouldn't add the extra width that the side bags do. I'm pretty much just commuting on this bike and have no short term plans to travel with it, so just thought the top case was best option. Glad to hear other opinions and of course see pictures!

Yeah, big rear topcase allows a lot more. You don't have to fill it, but when you need room for bulky coats, pants, helmets, groceries, etc... it's there.

I just thoug[ht going with 1 case mounted would be lighter than 2. Also it wouldn't add the extra width that the side bags do.
The top case also sits behind you so the impact on fuel efficiency isn't too bad. You can get more "stuff" in side bags but if that isn't important then a top case is fine. I have 74 liters of storage in my panniers and 42 liters in the top case. I like the weight down low so usually leave the panniers on and only put the top case when touring.

Having both top case and panniers obviously gives you flexibility when loading and both are quick disconnect, taking just seconds to remove. It is illegal in my state to lane split so the width of the cases is moot. If I wasn't touring much I would have probably gone with just a top case. Between the frunk and a top case I would be fine.

The top case in this picture shows how far back and high they can be when mounted. They are almost entirely behind the rear wheel axle. Put enough weight in it and even a 500lb 45hp NC can wheelie ;-)
IMG_6141-XL.jpg

This side view shows that to clear the stock muffler, even panniers have to be mounted pretty high, and you can feel it when they are loaded.
IMG_5659-XL.jpg

Rear view of the Givi Outback 37 liter panniers to give an idea of the width. These are the about large as I wanted to go.
IMG_2529-XL.jpg

This last picture shows the bike with the bags, touring windscreen, and aux fuel tank pulled. Takes seconds to remove the panniers and top case, about 5 mins to unscrew the four screws on the 22" inch screen and replace with the shorter, smoked screen and another 5 mins to pull the aux tank and replace it with the stock passenger seat. I use my motorcycle for commuting and running around town and also for long trips. Depending on the mission I can configure it different ways. HTH

IMG_2770-X2.jpg

The top case also sits behind you so the impact on fuel efficiency isn't too bad. You can get more "stuff" in side bags but if that isn't important then a top case is fine. I have 74 liters of storage in my panniers and 42 liters in the top case. I like the weight down low so usually leave the panniers on and only put the top case when touring.

Having both top case and panniers obviously gives you flexibility when loading and both are quick disconnect, taking just seconds to remove. It is illegal in my state to lane split so the width of the cases is moot. If I wasn't touring much I would have probably gone with just a top case. Between the frunk and a top case I would be fine.

The top case in this picture shows how far back and high they can be when mounted. They are almost entirely behind the rear wheel axle. Put enough weight in it and even a 500lb 45hp NC can wheelie ;-)
IMG_6141-XL.jpg

This side view shows that to clear the stock muffler, even panniers have to be mounted pretty high, and you can feel it when they are loaded.
IMG_5659-XL.jpg

Rear view of the Givi Outback 37 liter panniers to give an idea of the width. These are the about large as I wanted to go.
IMG_2529-XL.jpg

This last picture shows the bike with the bags, touring windscreen, and aux fuel tank pulled. Takes seconds to remove the panniers and top case, about 5 mins to unscrew the four screws on the 22" inch screen and replace with the shorter, smoked screen and another 5 mins to pull the aux tank and replace it with the stock passenger seat. I use my motorcycle for commuting and running around town and also for long trips. Depending on the mission I can configure it different ways. HTH

IMG_2770-X2.jpg
Great information and pics. Like I said, I"m mostly just commuting so I won't be needing any large cases like that but thats quite the set up! I love it. Thank you for sharing the pics!
With the big topcase (Hepco & Becker Junior 55) when it comes in handy or I never got around to unlocking it from the rack:

2019-09-15 14;21;57
by greenboy, on Flickr

With just the small mid-case on the Dale Rack, inside a softcase with all the stuff I always swap between my WR250 and my NC rather than having to have duplicates or hunt stuff down:

2020-04-28 15;17;35
by greenboy, on Flickr
Very awesome! Great pics too!

I have all Honda luggage and I really like it. It has its advantages and disadvantages just like everything, but it was actually designed for the bike.

A word about mounting location:
Honda’s top box mounts distinctly further forward than every aftermarket top case I’ve ever seen. Other than making passenger space tighter, I like that choice. Carrying the weight just that much further forward is better in every respect, IMO.

Honda’s top box mounts distinctly further forward than every aftermarket top case I’ve ever seen. Other than making passenger space tighter, I like that choice. Carrying the weight just that much further forward is better in every respect, IMO.
Pretty sure I can make my adjustable topcase rack go forward right up to the point where the topcase is over the tail of the pillion seat if I still had a pillion seat. I've experimented because I wanted more room for an eventual "mid case" for a Dale rack. Gotta say, carrying the typical light but bulky stuff I might carry in my topcase, I really can't tell it's back there anyway, regardless of an inch or two. I weigh 190-195. Crosswinds probably are more to wring my hands about, but only in the most extreme of circumstances.

So again: please everybody – just avoid carrying anvils, and don't buy needlessly heavy topcases.

Last edited by a moderator:
They did not, at least in the USA market.

You can find threads here on the forum from people who made some things up, though. I recall at least one that looked pretty good to me. I don’t bookmark the crap out of things, though, so I can’t give you a link.

Back