• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Looking for input on crash bars

Bskicrash1

Reaction score
Visit site
I’ve been searching and reading about crash bars for the nc750x and I’m looking for personal experience on the T. rex crash bars and the Zieger bars. I thought I was set on the R Gaza brand crash bars, not the touring set, until I read about those who have dropped the bike and the bars rotated causing damage to the bike. I’ve used givi bars and T. rex crash cage in the past on other motorcycles.

thank you for your input in advance.
First pic is the T. rex cage and second pic is the zieger brand.
BA0BB731-8E13-4BC7-9674-FF2FE740C7D8.png
D15C3D81-C681-447E-899D-4DA2D0066267.png

Attachments

• 7F97ED0F-2D85-46B7-8B42-19F54BB3542F.png
    7F97ED0F-2D85-46B7-8B42-19F54BB3542F.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 57
I have sw motech on my nc and my cb500x. On the 500 it has tipped over 3 times with no damage to the bike or crash bars I also have barkbusters to protect the levers.

Attachments

• IMG_20210924_111405944_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210924_111405944_HDR.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 77
That T Rex "cage" looks awful imho. More like scaffolding. I am a Givi fan. Better engineered than either the T Rex or the Zieger imho and well proven in a drop. The only downside is crap paint but thats easily remedied when necessary.

I think my main area of concern with the crash bars would be to keep the upper plastics off the ground in a tip over. I have hand guards that help protect the levers, however, I’m not certain how many drops the handlebars will take or how much force would be necessary before bending and letting the plastics come in contact with the ground.

Last edited:
I just installed the T-Rex bars on my 2018 NC750X. I chose them because

• They look like they provide more coverage than a lot of other options
  • I am planning to mount lights to the horizontal bar that crosses under the "beak"
  • I have T-Rex bars on my CB500X and they've worked well.

However, I've encountered a couple of issues:

1. The right-side middle engine bolt that the T-Rex bars mount to is directly behind the clutch cable bracket. I ended up removing the end of the clutch cable from the bracket -- as well as a rubber tube that is either a breather hose or a fuel line -- to give me clearance to remove the engine bolt. However, it was still super-fiddly. In their installation video, they remove the entire bracket assembly from the side of the motor.
  2. Once the bars are installed, it doesn't appear you can easily remove the stock lower engine cowl (the plastic fairing at the bottom front of the engine). Thinking I will want to remove that cowl future maintenance, I am somewhat concerned about this, but haven't yet decided whether this is a deal-breaker for me.

DB9C8E46-2FFD-40CB-B107-155B89401A21.jpeg58FF28B7-54A3-466A-BE06-02A293957057.jpeg

Last edited:
I wanted to follow up on this thread. I purchased the Givi brand bars. I have them on my KLR 650 and am satisfied with how they performed and protected the motorcycle. Based on recommendations from searching this forum I ended up deciding that GIVI was the brand. I was set on the T-rex brand and then received notification that givi bars were on sale for $130 shipped at twisted throttle. I ordered an OEM Honda nc750x stand that also was on sale for $135. Overall, I’m pleased.

The sale may not have been a huge reduction from original price, but it certainly does help.

Thank you everyone.

I wanted to follow up on this thread. I purchased the Givi brand bars. I have them on my KLR 650 and am satisfied with how they performed and protected the motorcycle. Based on recommendations from searching this forum I ended up deciding that GIVI was the brand. I was set on the T-rex brand and then received notification that givi bars were on sale for $130 shipped at twisted throttle. I ordered an OEM Honda nc750x stand that also was on sale for $135. Overall, I’m pleased.

The sale may not have been a huge reduction from original price, but it certainly does help.

Thank you everyone.
+1 for the Givi Crash Bars. Good price, solid and easy install. And yes, they look good too. Unobtrusive.

• I am planning to mount lights to the horizontal bar that crosses under the "beak"

1. The right-side middle engine bolt that the T-Rex bars mount to is directly behind the clutch cable bracket. I ended up removing the end of the clutch cable from the bracket -- as well as a rubber tube that is either a breather hose or a fuel line -- to give me clearance to remove the engine bolt. However, it was still super-fiddly. In their installation video, they remove the entire bracket assembly from the side of the motor.
  2. Once the bars are installed, it doesn't appear you can easily remove the stock lower engine cowl (the plastic fairing at the bottom front of the engine). Thinking I will want to remove that cowl future maintenance, I am somewhat concerned about this, but haven't yet decided whether this is a deal-breaker for me.

View attachment 47732View attachment 47733
Thx for posting this. I got them for my DCT and am curious how they’ll go…especially as you noted re the bottom cowl which I aim to upgrade with a skid plate…

Here is what they look like after install. I used blue loctite on the non engine mount bolts. When looking straight on, the bars are wider than the widest point of the side panel. The handlebar and crash bar will touch ground if tipped. Overall , I’m happy,

Thanks everyone
CDB1C647-48CB-4A35-9E8F-75B13A2C524A.jpeg

Last edited:
Mine has been blown over multiple times on both sides (Colorado wind storms) and the Givi bars are unfazed. Plastics are all still good.
Handlebars are slightly bent but completely useable and I lost the turn signals.

A follow-up on this.... I recently drained/flushed the cooling system as preventative maintenance per the manual, and I was able to remove the lower engine cowl with the T-Rex crash bars in place. It was finicky and took some time, but now that I've done it once I could probably do it faster next time.

Here is what they look like after install. I used blue loctite on the non engine mount bolts. When looking straight on, the bars are wider than the widest point of the side panel. The handlebar and crash bar will touch ground if tipped. Overall , I’m happy,

Thanks everyone
View attachment 48164

Wonder why Givi changes their design starting with the 2021 models??? I assume your bike is an older model. I have a 2022 and now it looks like you have to purchase an upper and a lower bar. IMO, they do not look as nice as the pre 2021 option.

Attachments

• Givi upper AND lower bars.png
    Givi upper AND lower bars.png
    625.2 KB · Views: 28
Wonder why Givi changes their design starting with the 2021 models??? I assume your bike is an older model. I have a 2022 and now it looks like you have to purchase an upper and a lower bar. IMO, they do not look as nice as the pre 2021 option.
Going from memory, I thought Honda changed the NC frame for ‘21. Just looking at that photo of the new Givi bars, that short Honda frame member that crosses over the cylinder head looks to be a smaller diameter than in the past. My guess is Givi had to start with a fresh design. But, that’s just a guess.

Going from memory, I thought Honda changed the NC frame for ‘21. Just looking at that photo of the new Givi bars, that short Honda frame member that crosses over the cylinder head looks to be a smaller diameter than in the past. My guess is Givi had to start with a fresh design. But, that’s just a guess.
Makes sense. Just not as good looking as their old design. My main goal is to hang some lights so might just stick with the OEM light bar. Only reason I am considering "crash bars" instead is to protect from a drop while practicing slow speed maneuvers in a parking lot. I do not want to put a cage on the bike since it won't be going off road into the wilds so want something low profile. R-Gaza Crash Bars look promising for drop protection but so much for adding lights (my primary goal).

it seems SW MOTECH has a nice set that is supposed to fit 21-22 models. (sbl 01132.10002/b). they look nice with a low profile similar to the old GIVI but stronger thicker steel and a cross member.
i have sw motech crash bars on my super tenere and will be adding them to my 2021 and 2023 nc's.

it seems SW MOTECH has a nice set that is supposed to fit 21-22 models. (sbl 01132.10002/b). they look nice with a low profile similar to the old GIVI but stronger thicker steel and a cross member.
i have sw motech crash bars on my super tenere and will be adding them to my 2021 and 2023 nc's.
Were you able to mount extra lights to them? That is my only reservation with any bars without the horizontal piece across the front.

sorry, didn't want extra running lights, so i didn't try.
my guess would be if you found lights with a swivel mounting bracket, you'd be okay ?
look at some of the crash bar pictures in this thread, like the givi's, and see if you could make them work for you.
the sw motech has a flat bar horizontal cross member for structural integrity but would not be conducive to mounting lights.

Has anyone tried to install this crash bar? It is made by GP Kompozit and current price is $94 without shipping

Attachments

• ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg.jpg
    ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 26
Back