• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Looking for a winter windscreen

fleetingyouth

Reaction score
Visit site
After seven years of winter riding, I've finally decided to buy some winter gear to make it more comfortable. I want to get a taller than stock windscreen that still uses the stock bolt holes. I dont want something super big like madstad or national, just enough to get the wind off my chest.

Was thinking something like Givi, Puig, or Ermax unless there are similar options at similar prices.

This would be for mostly commuting or possibly an hour-long trip not touring, though I may use it in warmer months for longer trips if I ever get to do them again.

I know big touring screens are popular on here but would appreciate any recommendations or experiences for more winter commuting options.

Mid height screens that get the wind off your chest instead will likely direct the wind at your neck and helmet making for a noisy, turbulent ride.

Madstad screens can be ordered in whatever height you want, and the air flow trick they use allows you to see over the screen yet have the air flow directed over your helmet.

If you do go with a mid size screen like a Puig or Givi, you might want to consider adding also an MRA X-Creen or similar device to raise the air flow above your head and reduce the noise and turbulence.

I use a Madstad screen mounted about 3.5" lower than standard, with an X-Creen spoiler mounted on top.

Last edited:
The Honda touring screen keeps the wind off my chest and comes with a well-designed, larger support structure. I don’t think it’s all that great for riding in a cool to cold place, but that’s up to you.

Greg I'm about 5'10 and have the handlebars at stock height do you think the mid height screens are likely to hit my neck? I'm not too concerned with noise or buffeting as most of my commute is city riding. So if it gets the wind off my chest and neck I'd be happy.

Does Madstad make a shield that uses only the stock bolts?

I may help if you mention what model year for your NC. I think windscreen (and probably mounting holes) on 2016+ are different than for 2015 and before.

Greg I'm about 5'10 and have the handlebars at stock height do you think the mid height screens are likely to hit my neck? I'm not too concerned with noise or buffeting as most of my commute is city riding. So if it gets the wind off my chest and neck I'd be happy.

I'm not familiar with theIr latest offerings, but I believe Madstad screens for the NC still attach at the stock mounting bolt locations, but not with the stock bolts.

Mid height screens that get the wind off your chest instead will likely direct the wind at your neck and helmet making for a noisy, turbulent ride.

Madstad screens can be ordered in whatever height you want, and the air flow trick they use allows you to see over the screen yet have the air flow directed over your helmet.

If you do go with a mid size screen like a Puig or Givi, you might want to consider adding also an MRA X-Creen or similar device to raise the air flow above your head and reduce the noise and turbulence.

I use a Madstad screen mounted about 3.5" lower than standard, with an X-Creen spoiler mounted on top.
Got pics installed???

Thanks Greg.
I think I'm going to try the Puig first see how it does and if its not enough look closer at the madstad. The price difference is a lot and I'm hoping the smaller puig will be enough.

My evaluation after 50+ years of riding. Air over the top of shield, resulting in air OVER the helmet, is the only air that really matters.
A tall clear shield giving the rider a 1 and 1/2 car length line of sight to the road surface ahead is ideal. Too tall requiring looking through the shield is unsafe.
I have LED lighted hand guards and XXXXL sized mittens with Asian style cotton glove liners for cold weather riding.

I'm not familiar with theIr latest offerings, but I believe Madstad screens for the NC still attach at the stock mounting bolt locations, but not with the stock bolts.
This is correct.

On the '16 through '20 years the stock mounting holes are used.

After seven years of winter riding, I've finally decided to buy some winter gear to make it more comfortable. I want to get a taller than stock windscreen that still uses the stock bolt holes. I dont want something super big like madstad or national, just enough to get the wind off my chest.

Was thinking something like Givi, Puig, or Ermax unless there are similar options at similar prices.

This would be for mostly commuting or possibly an hour-long trip not touring, though I may use it in warmer months for longer trips if I ever get to do them again.

I know big touring screens are popular on here but would appreciate any recommendations or experiences for more winter commuting options.
I purchased a large windscreen from moto-roar ( http://myworld.ebay.com/moto-roar). It is the same shape as the original but much larger. was $150 that included shipping, direct from Thailand in only 10 days. Interference from hand guards destroyed the first one. I made appropriate adjustments for the second one. Works well, and I think looks better than any of the others... my nc is a 2017...

I purchased a large windscreen from moto-roar ( http://myworld.ebay.com/moto-roar). It is the same shape as the original but much larger. was $150 that included shipping, direct from Thailand in only 10 days. Interference from hand guards destroyed the first one. I made appropriate adjustments for the second one. Works well, and I think looks better than any of the others... my nc is a 2017...

IMG_1063 nc windscreen.jpg

Here is my pitch for the Parabellum. I have used a few others and like this one the best so far. I am 6'6" with 36" inseam and i purchased the 24" tinted one. It was free shipping and came with a 30-day money back guarantee!! I had it mounted on my 2012X and now have it on my 2015XD. Both bikes handle well with it installed and it uses the stock mounting location with new bolts and i do have Dale's Nut Plates installed(just 'cause i liked them). I also have an Amazon air deflector that i added to the top of the shield and used it on my last tour and liked it. :{)

Attachments

• gear on.JPG
    gear on.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Like many on this page, I've tried different windshields. The NC is a "naked bike" with terrible airflow around the front so don't expect too much.

I have the Puig dark smoke touring windscreen. I may add the top deflector this winter. The Barkbuster Storm handguards really help the hands. I have heated handle grips to add soon.

I've had several Parabellums over the years. I custom cut/drilled a blank for a Motus.
It is tall and rather narrow but changed the riding experience significantly on this beast.
With no helmet noise you really can hear the bike.
Riding a deCATed F800ST behind a tall Parabellum shield gave the bike an angry sound.

Attachments

• E179F72D-7DB4-4043-802C-63A0721D26D3_1_201_a.jpeg
    E179F72D-7DB4-4043-802C-63A0721D26D3_1_201_a.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 22
  • 2D74925F-187C-4058-BEFA-8B3DB4D9CF8D.jpeg
    2D74925F-187C-4058-BEFA-8B3DB4D9CF8D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I've had several Parabellums over the years. I custom cut/drilled a blank for a Motus.
It is tall and rather narrow but changed the riding experience significantly on this beast.
With no helmet noise you really can hear the bike.
Riding a decated F800ST behind a tall Parabellum shield gave the bike an angry sound.
I have never seen a Parabellum user complain about the brand.

Givi, Puig and Honda Tall windshields get quite a few complaints on various forums. Never the Parabellum.

Madstad made at least two revisions for shields fitting the NC700X between 2012 and 2015. The latest revision coming out in circa 2015 uses the stock mounting holes. The photos on the Madstad web site of a black 2015 NC700X are of my bike which was used as a prototype for the revision. The red bike belonged to Therapy, a member here on this forum. This version was called the Bahrain version internally by Madstad and did away with the previous one - piece metal base and used the holes for the stock screen and fits 2012-2015 models.

Last edited:
Highly recomment Madstads windscreen. After trying three other brands with marginal success I tried the Madstad and it's been on there since 2014. And, they stand behind their product also.

Back