• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Looking for a nin HID headlight improvement

Rocker66

Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.kawasakiw650.co.uk
I want to improve the headlight on my X but as it's my commuter bike I don't want to go to the expense ( + I don't have the expertise) of a HID conversion. Has anyone just fitted a better bulb and if so which one and how much of an improvement was it?

Have a look at the Sylvania SilverStar or SilverStar Ultra. I think they are as good as the best direct bulb replacements. Bear in mind that motorcycle specific bulbs are designed to be more durable to vibration and the suspension bouncing that motorcycles endure vs. passenger cars. So, an automotive bulb will not last as long - carry a spare. The same change that makes the motorcycle bulb stronger, makes it less brilliant. There really is no free lunch. I'd wager that the Ultra is less durable than the basic SilverStar (just guessing). An HID projector kit is under $100 which is in line with the price of cheap and feeble LED add-on lights. Top quality LED ad-on lights are many times that price.

Of course, there is a ton of fiddling to be done with an HID projector installation. I would avoid HID bulb only retrofits because the reflectors don't usually work properly and they tend to blind oncoming drivers. A good path to a traffic fine probably.

I have been using Silverstars and Ultras for years on my commuter bikes. They are usually good for only 12 to 15 months before they burn out. I always figured that the light that burns twice as bright burns half as long, and they made an enormous improvement on my ST1100, my FJR, and my Interceptor. I replaced the bulb on the NCX, and while it did improve the lighting, it is not as dramatic as the previous bikes. I attribute that to the fact that the other were dual lamp systems, where the NCX is single. It did make enough of an improvement that I will continue to use them.

I also have the Philips Xtreme Vision... Yes, it is a little brighter but for some reason cars don't notice as much when I split lanes...

I used Borsh All Weather bulb (slight yellowish) instead and more noticeable by other cars... They move out of way when I split lanes...

Wish Honda put 2 headlight system instead of one H4 headlight...

Back