• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Let’s talk chest armor

Rabbit

Reaction score
Visit site
I am in the happy place of being able to beta test a new chest armor offering from a major manufacturer. The stuff works great for the dirt folks but I’m not sold on the stuff for street rides.
My question is how common are chest injuries in street riding and are there any armored solutions that would help mitigate potential damage? Anyone see any studies on this? Trying to decide if adding chest armor is worth the extra cost and hassle.

Maybe this? I don’t know it’s credibility. Scholar.google.com is a good search engine. If you find something that requires a subscription to read, let me know. I have lifetime access to most academic sites as a benefit from grad school. Well, I’m sure it was built into the tuition but you get the drift. No guarantees but it might be available to me to download and share.

According to your link rib fractures are pretty common. Thank you.
So can you tell us how well the chest armor actually ventilates in the summer? As much as I really want an airbag vest, I honestly am very fearful of overheating in the hot humid conditions we get in my area during July-August.

So can you tell us how well the chest armor actually ventilates in the summer? As much as I really want an airbag vest, I honestly am very fearful of overheating in the hot humid conditions we get in my area during July-August.
I haven’t ridden in it quite yet but around the house it’s pretty good. There are nice big holes to move air and while the coverage is good it’s not so large that it blocks everything. I think though that if you want an air bag vest you may not be satisfied with anything else.

I haven’t ridden in it quite yet but around the house it’s pretty good. There are nice big holes to move air and while the coverage is good it’s not so large that it blocks everything. I think though that if you want an air bag vest you may not be satisfied with anything else.
How is it worn?

Is the armor designed to attach to the inner liner of a jacket (via something like velcro)?
Or is it armor that is strapped on like the off-road armor (albeit designed for road use)?
Or is the armor attached to something like a t-shirt or vest that is then worn as a new layer?

How is it worn?

Is the armor designed to attach to the inner liner of a jacket (via something like velcro)?
Or is it armor that is strapped on like the off-road armor (albeit designed for road use)?
Or is the armor attached to something like a t-shirt or vest that is then worn as a new layer?
It’s a shirt that fits armor in it and is worn underneath as an additional layer. It’s a 1 piece chest protector so much more geared towards the off road market, but could work on road depending on what you’re looking for. I’ll post pictures as soon as I’m given clearance.

Photos attached of the chest armor system I got to demo. It’s pretty good but I might recommend it more for touring and day trips than commuting

Attachments

• 08EBE2F6-9F2A-4525-BF44-A28D10EB877D.jpeg
    08EBE2F6-9F2A-4525-BF44-A28D10EB877D.jpeg
    317.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 07A9F4E5-B673-4C55-8AE8-102E326C83EF.jpeg
    07A9F4E5-B673-4C55-8AE8-102E326C83EF.jpeg
    326 KB · Views: 14
My Spidi jacket has a chest armor plate that snaps in and out. I ride with it most of the time. The ride is a bit cooler without it, but not too much. It helps in the cold with not letting me feel so cold, nor so quickly, when I’m on Wiley.

Thanks for the pics of the Bohn.

Photos attached of the chest armor system I got to demo. It’s pretty good but I might recommend it more for touring and day trips than commuting
Hmmm . . . Why not just make it a sleeveless pullover? Do the shoulders, back & elbows also have pockets for armor?

In hot weather I don't want more layers, even perforated fabric.

If the shirt is capable of taking full armor then it would make sense, but if it is just a chest armor shirt that seems like an early spring/late fall layer to me.

Hmmm . . . Why not just make it a sleeveless pullover? Do the shoulders, back & elbows also have pockets for armor?

In hot weather I don't want more layers, even perforated fabric.

If the shirt is capable of taking full armor then it would make sense, but if it is just a chest armor shirt that seems like an early spring/late fall layer to me.
Yes, there are pockets for all armor you might need back, elbow/forearm and shoulder all at CE 2. As far as the sleeveless pullover I will mention that to their R&D group.

Back