• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Left keys inside luggage box...

bengaltiger6987

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello All,
Being a relatively new rider, I did something really unmindful today.
I accidentally left the motorcycle keys inside the luggage box, and closed the lid. :-(

Is there anything I can do to get it out? I've tried prying apart the lid with a knife, but it's really tight, and I ended up scraping my knuckles.

I've tried putting a flat-head screwdriver also in the side key slot, but that didn't work either.

I would REALLY appreciate the help. Thanks so much.

Hello All,
Being a relatively new rider, I did something really unmindful today.
I accidentally left the motorcycle keys inside the luggage box, and closed the lid. :-(

Is there anything I can do to get it out? I've tried prying apart the lid with a knife, but it's really tight, and I ended up scraping my knuckles.

I've tried putting a flat-head screwdriver also in the side key slot, but that didn't work either.

I would REALLY appreciate the help. Thanks so much.

MI = Michigan?

NC700S ?

How did you get a model not imported into the 'States? Many here would be very interested in that, I believe!

Barring typos or my misunderstanding, do you mean the front trunk, a rear top case, or a right or left saddle bag? Did you buy a bike without a spare key? I think a few more details might help.

I never own any kind of vehicle that I don't have at least one spare set of keys. Bought a used Honda Civic that only had 1 set of keys. First thing I did was go and have a second set made. Two sets of keys have saved my bacon (where did this expression originate?) many times.

I never own any kind of vehicle that I don't have at least one spare set of keys. Bought a used Honda Civic that only had 1 set of keys. First thing I did was go and have a second set made. Two sets of keys have saved my bacon (where did this expression originate?) many times.
Google is your friend:

By bacon, we now normally mean the cured and dried meat taken from the back or sides of a pig. To the mediaeval mind, 'bacon' was meat from anywhere on the body of the animal - more akin to what we now call pork. This was the origin of the slang term 'bacon' meaning the human body. 'Saving your bacon' was simply saving your body from harm. The expression was used that way as early as the 17th century as, for example, this extract from Ireland's Momus Elenticus, 1654:

"Some fellowes there were... To save their bacon penn'd many a smooth song."
Save one's bacon

Actually, I commute in Ontario, but also have a place in MI. :)

For clarification, this is the front trunk, where you can also store a helmet. I should have made spares first thing...lesson learned.
Suggestions would be greatly helpful at this point.

The instructions on the HondaBikePro link are fairly detailed, but you might PM HondaBikePro for further help and possibly the pics.

Where is your spare?

My spare key is on a ring in my left pocket. I always carry 2 sets of keys (house, car, bike). My father taught me that when I was a kid and I have done it ever since. Back in those days you could take the key out of the ignition while the car was still running and open the trunk; and presumably lock your key in there.

If for some reason I lose both keys my AMA road service has lockout assistance but if they can jimmy it from the outside you have to pay for the key they make to get in. (not sure how that is done but I guess it's a locksmith secret)

Actually, I commute in Ontario, but also have a place in MI. :)

For clarification, this is the front trunk, where you can also store a helmet. I should have made spares first thing...lesson learned.
Suggestions would be greatly helpful at this point.

Ah, see that does make a difference. The X and the S models have their frunk actuation cables and mechanisms in totally different locations. The helpful HondaBikePro method mentioned earlier unfortunately was for the X model.

The only thing I can think of off hand would be to try and remove the left side bodywork if possible, or enough at least to access behind the key/lock cylinder, and pull the cable manually. I suppose if that proved impossible, one might use a hole saw to cut through the trunk lid and retrieve the key. The cost of a new lid is your incentive for remembering not to do it again. Compared to the complexity of parts and potentially more costly bits being damaged by trying to pry open the lid, or break larger fairing panels, a new lid might be the cheapest sacrifice...

Unfortunately, since the S is not sold in the US, you can't take advantage of the much cheaper parts prices they have available down there for the X models. :(

My spare key is on a ring in my left pocket. I always carry 2 sets of keys (house, car, bike). My father taught me that when I was a kid and I have done it ever since. Back in those days you could take the key out of the ignition while the car was still running and open the trunk; and presumably lock your key in there.

If for some reason I lose both keys my AMA road service has lockout assistance but if they can jimmy it from the outside you have to pay for the key they make to get in. (not sure how that is done but I guess it's a locksmith secret)

It is called "decoding"

I saw a youtube video on a tool used to decode the VW laser cut keys (must have been at least 5 years back because that is when I had a VW) not able to find it now.

Basically every key is cut with ridges at a certain height to match a tumbler, you assign each depth of the cut a number, there are special tools that insert into the lock that will allow you to push the tumbler up and see how far it goes, knowing how far the tumbler moves allows you to determine the height of the ridge for that particular bump, repeat for each tumbler, then cut a key with ridges at that height (on the VW tool I saw low tolerances in the lock allowed for them to just assemble a key out of 64 potential keys to open the door because a 2.5 height would open a 3 or a 4 tumbler)

I had a spare key made ($5) at the local locksmith, and since these (US) keys are not chipped,
I ground away most of the large head, but left enough to grab and turn easily.
The key now fits very nicely inside my wallet and is not noticeable at all.

Back