• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

LEDglow UNDERBODY & UNDERTANK LIGHTING ?!? LED HELMET LIGHTING ?!?! LEGAL?!?

WOULD YOU LIKE UNDERBODY / UNDERTANK / HELMET LIGHTING WHILE RIDING ?!?!

• YES !!!!

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • NO !!!

Votes: 18 69.2%

• Total voters

Jay Fridays

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:confused: Is anyone here a cop, or related to a cop, that can shed some light on this issue ?!?!?!?!? ( pun inteded ) :confused:
Question 1: Is underbody/undertank lighting illegal in California?? I have found so many debates, but no definitive answers.

Question 2: Is a lighted helmet legal??

Is anyone here a cop, or related to a cop, that can shed some light on this issue ?!?!?!?!? ( pun inteded )

I am looking for people with experience that have proof and evidence supported answers, not opinions....

I DRIVE AN AMBULANCE !! So I know that, except for brakelights, you cannot have red/blue lights of any kind.

Also, I know that you can have them on when you are parked, I want to knoeabout driving with them

Some debates have included:

1. It is absolutely illegal
2. As long as the light source is not visible, the ambiant light (glow) is legal.
3. There is nothing in the CA vehicle code that specifies this issue, except the fact that you cannot use colors mistaken for police/emergency vehicles (red/blue)

Also, I know that you can have them on while parked, but I want to know about driving with them on....

8.jpg7.jpg6.jpg5.jpg12.jpg10.jpg

I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket for UNDERBODY & UNDERTANK LIGHTING or LED HELMET LIGHTING. Call the department of public safety in your state, they wiil have the real answer.

I have called.. California may be a bit more complicated than Texas. I have not been able to get ahold of an actual live person that can talk to me about this specific issuue.

Yes i know someone who is.retired.has a trailer and goes to bike events and will wire up lights while you wait.a friend of.mine has blue that he did and has had no problems.maybe.next time you see a cop.sitting you could ask to be safe.

Last edited:
I know that CA, and especially Los Angeles, are waaaay more strict. You cannot have any blue or red lights on any vehicle. Besides the brakelight, of course

If there was a law against "silly as hell" then underbody lights of any color would be illegal. In Georgia a vehicle has to have an "emergency services permit" to run strobes or flashing lights - even yellow ones - that are not part of OEM vehicle supplied lighting. Strobes inside existing lenses seem to get a universal pass.

If there was a law against "silly as hell" then underbody lights of any color would be illegal.

LOL !! I do appreciate your crotchetiness and candor...lol.
It was funny; but the poll is for the opinion, and the posts are for legal/experience based answers..

I do appreciate the second part of your comment.... with the legal information...

We have the same emergency vehicle law here; My ambulance has pretty, flashy, red/amber/white lights.. I want them on my personal truck...lol

Last edited:
Not much help, but ran "neon" on a search of California traffic statutes and this is the number 1 hit I got:
---------------
V C Section 24003 Vehicle With Unlawful Lamps
Vehicle With Unlawful Lamps

24003. No vehicle shall be equipped with any lamp or illuminating device not required or permitted in this code, nor shall any lamp or illuminating device be mounted inside a vehicle unless specifically permitted by this code. This section does not apply to:

(a) Interior lamps such as door, brake and instrument lamps, and map, dash, and dome lamps designed and used for the purpose of illuminating the interior of the vehicle.

(b) Lamps needed in the operation or utilization of those vehicles mentioned in Section 25801, or vehicles used by public utilities in the repair or maintenance of their service, or used only for the illumination of cargo space of a vehicle while loading or unloading.

(c) Warning lamps mounted inside an authorized emergency vehicle and meeting requirements established by the department.
Amended Ch. 723, Stats. 1979. Effective January 1, 1980.
-----------
Got this result even though neon is not even mentioned. Popped up when I ran "underbody" too.

(Man, can't believe you called my totally functional Madstad windshield a boat sail, but would consider doing this kind of stuff....)

Guy passed me last night going the other way on a cruiser, had more lights on that bike than I've seen on any other four bikes, ever. Looked like a rolling stadium. Couldn't believe he could ride like that, even if that type lighting is legal, that much of it isn't smart. Not sure about Texas, where I'm at now, but in Virginia you could have any lights you wanted on your bike, but as soon as you started moving, they had to be shut off. Not legal while moving.

Man, can't believe you called my totally functional Madstad windshield a boat sail, but would consider doing this kind of stuff....

...lol
It IS a boat sail...lol...jk. I realized that I don't like the look of windshields on "sportier" bikes all togehter... I even took the powerbronze (a.k.a Alien Vs Predator) windshield off....lol (now only to be used on long distance rides)
My girl told me it makes it look like an "old man's bike"...

it's gone.. I have learned to enjoy the wind... :)

Like Ron White, I have the right to remain silent, but not the ability.

RE: your question. Did you look here?

California Vehicle Code Division 12 Chapter 2 Article 7 Table of Contents

..lol yes, I agree. I love listening to other views and opinions on these mods, and I am full of them... just reference the thread with Dog's "Russian Space Station" windshield...lol... still j/k... I was just trying to keep this post narrowed to the legal issues... so much for that idea....lol

The DMV site was one of the fist I checked; but again, there is nothing specific on what I am asking. I suppose the section stating that nothing is permitted other than what is covered in the code probably x's out the whole idea of the lighting. However, there seems to be gray areas, and with seeing so many products and lit up bikes on the street,I am confused on the bottom line legality...

Guy passed me last night going the other way on a cruiser, had more lights on that bike than I've seen on any other four bikes, ever. Looked like a rolling stadium. Couldn't believe he could ride like that, even if that type lighting is legal, that much of it isn't smart.

I agree... most people go WAY overboard with the lighting. I just want a little,tiny bit, of "classy" accent lighting from the crank case area.. I think the contrast of neon green to the all black body would look sweeeeet..... But this is just my worthless, and possibly illegal, opinion....

I also saw a guy with a lighted helmet... #1) I liked it #2) The increased visibility was undeniable.....

Last edited:
I have blue underwater lights on my boat. I have it switched. I run out of Half Moon Bay, California.
When I run in the middle of the night, I usually will run the underwater blue lights on so other boats can see me (just in case I don't pick them up on radar).
Also when my friends follow me, they can see where I am easily. The blue lights really give it some BLING especially at the prop wash.
No problem with coast guard or harbor patrol.

Ken

24011 of the California Vehicle Code says all equipment (insert lights and lighting) must conform to Federal Standards, and be marked as approved by the Feds. So first off, look at the lights and lighting and see if it shows any marking of approval by the Feds (insert Department of Transportation - DOT, SAE etc.) If you look at normal lights and lighting, you will generally find a DOT or SAE mark on the light itself or the lens covering the light.

Federal Safety Standard

24011. Whenever a federal motor vehicle safety standard is established under federal law (49 U.S.C. Sec. 30101 et seq.), no dealer shall sell or offer for sale a vehicle to which the standard is applicable, and no person shall sell or offer for sale for use upon a vehicle an item of equipment to which the standard is applicable, unless:

(a) The vehicle or equipment conforms to the applicable federal standard.

(b) The vehicle or equipment bears thereon a certification by the manufacturer or distributor that it complies with the applicable federal standards. The certification may be in the form of a symbol prescribed in the federal standards or, if there is no federal symbol, by a symbol acceptable to the department.

Look at it this way, if the motorcycle manufacturers had approved lighting that made their bikes look cool, don't you think they would be selling them as an option? You might find these kind of lights at a dealership, but I doubt you will find any manufactured by Mother Honda.

Just got a GMax helmet that came with a red LED light incorporated into the rear of the shell. It even allows you to turn it on to glow steady, slow flashing, or bright flashing. Since there was no "Not For Sale In California" disclaimer on a retail helmet, I'm going to vote for it being legal. Probably would be the equivalent of the third brake light on a car. Remember though that the light is on the rear of the helmet. I think I'd change my vote for one mounted on the front. :)

Bob

I did see one motorcycle on hiway 80 that had some led underbody lights. Also, how about those glow in the dark stripes on the wheel rim ???

Ken

Back