• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Lazy Man's Turn Signal Replacement

jeremysilas

Reaction score
Visit site
After 20,000 miles and 3.5 years I finally went down (mildly) in the rain on the NC. As such, I obviously HAD to replace both turn signals with a nicer looking, not-quite-as-large-as-the-airplane-wing-navigation-lights that the stocker indicators were. I bought this set to replace:
03-06 Honda CBR600RR CBR 600RR Flush Mount LED Turn Signals Kit Dual Circuit | eBay
It fits pretty well, I will say I don't really like the washer that comes with it because it isn't big enough to keep the signals from shifting around and you can't use the original rubber mount and washer. I haven't found out whether the signals will shift around or not. They won't fall out at least. I like the appearance, but they obviously aren't as noticeable from the front. They also come with plug in resistors to keep the same flash rate, but I didn't use them. I bought a new relay that was suggested on another post. Everything works great with them, same as original indicators. NEW - (07~11) HONDA CBR600RR CBR 600 RR LED Flasher Relay 4 Pin | eBay

This guide is for replacing them and the relay without taking all of the panels off. Before anyone says anything, I will give this disclaimer: You could damage your plastic panels by bending them and improperly accessing the turn signal mounts, but remember the reason I was replacing the turn signals so I don't really care too much about the condition of the panels.

You'll need to remove the upper covers by removing the screw and the plastic panel clip, then sliding the panel towards the rear of the bike. Do the same for the other side if replacing both signals.
IMG_20161209_070153[1].jpgIMG_20161209_070225[1].jpg

The next part is to remove the piece under the beak. It is held on by two plastic panel clips and one screw. It requires some force to get it out.
IMG_20161209_183105[1].jpg

You then need to remove the 2nd plastic panel clip in the fork well, the screw near the radiator, and the bolt that was covered by the upper panel. Again, repeat on the other side if you are doing both. Everything I'm referring to is in the same position on each side.
IMG_20161209_072116[1].jpgIMG_20161209_072204[1].jpgIMG_20161209_072229[1].jpgIMG_20161209_072302[1].jpg

Once those pieces have been removed you can work your fingers along the beak to pull the panel up. It is hooked on so you need to pull UP. It gets difficult but my point here is that it is possible to pull the upper part of the panel loose without taking the entire bike apart. You can then get to your turn signals (and their connections) and the relay, which is placed up under the upper panel near the frunk on the left/clutch side of the bike. The latch to disconnect the relay will be facing the outside of the bike and requires pressing in, I used a small knife to press down the button on the connector. Lift up the relay to slide it off the mount.
IMG_20161209_183121[1].jpg
IMG_20161209_183202[1].jpg

I think I managed to do without breaking anything, just wanted to post some pictures and show how I did it. I learned most of the steps from this site, so thanks to everyone else that did a good job explaining their work. Sorry about the terrible quality photos, my Nexus 5X does not have good close range focus.

I just installed the electronic flasher and the LED bulbs. Now my DCT won't shift. (I'm pretty sure the two events are unrelated. :D )

I was last to comment on this thread a year ago plus a day. Turn signals worked a charm. Until today. Maybe the flasher? Worked on it yesterday to replace the sidestand and its switch. Just another coincidence? Anyone else had an electronic flasher unit fail?

Okay, just another coincidence. THIS thread reminded me I'd installed the electronic relay. With all the work I'd done yesterday, figured I had pinched a wire or something similar. Rechecked connections pulled the left side panel, found the relay dangling, and... full of water!

I'd ridden to Spring Green, WI last Wednesday and gotten rained on pretty good. Signals and 4-ways worked fine for sure through last Friday. They quit sometime in between then and today.

Anyway, I dried it out with a hair dryer and all is good. 7 hours later.

Back