• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Latest heated grips - problem?

mike5100

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone bought one of the latest 750 X's with the new 5 stage heated grips (they link to the instrument display)? If they are the same as those fitted to the Africa Twin, Honda seem to be having a problem with not enough heat being generated - even on setting 5 they barely get warm. I don't want to order them for the NC then find they don't work. Apparently the 3 stage ones fitted to the 2014 bikes cannot be fitted to the 2016 bikes.
Thanks
Mike

Alternative suggestion Mike.......

I assume the new items generate a reasonable amount of heat. How about a set of Barkbusters Storms with muffs fitted over them in conjunction with the new heated grips. Just the handguard frames and muffs alone are sufficient for me in winter time and are very snug. That combination with heated grips, albeit poorly functioning ones, would surely be good ?

Thanks Griff but I am really trying to find out if Honda has a general problem with these grips or whether it's Africa twin specific

If your changing , dont buy R and G grips as recommended by Ride magazine . Cheap , but no good. They dont heat up enough

The Oxford ones are fantastic and a quarter of the price, it has 5 or 6 settings I have never gone above 3!
The only downsize if it is one, you do have to take your time when fitting them.

I have the 5-stage OEM heated grips on my 2016 NC700X. Now granted I have nothing to compare them against, but they work well for me here in North East Ohio. I was commuting to work the other week in the mid-30's, a couple of times with my summer & mid-weight gloves. I do have hand guards too though. They take a few minutes to warm up but they seem to work great. In the fall I found myself having to turn them down 10 minutes after I was underway. I also have a pair of thick snowmobiling gloves for use when it's low 30's and didn't think I'd be able to feel the heat through them, but I can - just takes a little longer! Having the indicator in the dash showing what level they are set to is nice. The fitment and ease of use is great. They remember the last setting when you turn them on. They do NOT turn on by default (good). They apparently monitor battery level too to make sure they don't drain it. All in all I'm very happy with them.

That being said, I know many on these forums use Oxford and other brand options and like them too. I like my clean install nicer, no control box visible. there's just a button on the left grip with a built-in LED which flashes a corresponding number of times when you set the heat #. Then it just stays lit if they're on. My only thoughts on improving it would be to make the LED a different color for the 5 levels, I believe one of the other brands does this. But with the setting visible in the dash there's no real need for it.

Hiya.You are better of with Gerbings heated gloves,which I use.Heat is on the top of fingers/thumb. As winter is soon to be with us here in England and night time gets bleeding cold,NEC bike show next month might get them cheaper

I have the Honda Heated Grips. I find them too hot on level 5.

3 is a nice radiant warmth. easy to adjust, display on the screen and look as if they belong, as you'd expect. They don't turn on with the ignition if they were on when you turned it off but, when you do turn them on, they remember what the last setting was.

As Ian Dury said "There ain't 'alf been some clever Bastards!"

Back