• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

(Edited) 2021 Land of the Dragon Gathering

I am in Tennessee and we have a 'soft' stay at home. LEO's here are making every effort to seek voluntary compliance w/o issuing citations. North Carolina has a more stern 'shelter in place' order. I rode through Hot Springs NC on Sunday. Normally,people are everywhere. Not one person on the street. Large flashing sign said...Stay at home !
I felt a little like an outlaw. Got the heck out of there.

Courts will be closed until June 1st, so I won't have any conflicts. I imagine KSL will be open by then, but I don't know how the 6 foot distance thing and restaurant restrictions will work out. I think taking an RV and isolating would be doable, but socializing is 3/4 of the fun. I'm on the fence. EDIT. I forgot about the 14 day quarantine rule. If that is still in effect I'm out.

Last edited:
I've been riding once or twice a week. I'm actually not sure the specifics of the law, but if you can go play golf, I would think you can ride a motorcycle. I've ridden past many LEO's.
Some counties have stricter rules. Durham county, my home, requires a mask if you can't maintain the 6 ft. (grocery stores) I carry one on the bike, just in case.

I have a couple of these containers in my frunk, one with a microfiber cloth in some water and a bit of detergent for wiping down the visor and sunglasses... and the newer addition stuffed with tough paper towel sections liberally doused with rubbing alchohol. Quite a bit moister than any individually packaged travel towelette or antiseptic wipe.

2016-12-20 08;50;44 by greenboy, on Flickr

It's a harsh area, lots of drug (meth and scripts) and gun violence. The show "Justified" was based on the situation in that area of KY. 3 of my best friends come from there, and they only go back for funerals.

But it really is some of the most beautiful riding in the state. I recommend riding it highly, but there are plenty of places for gas before and after.

Can anyone local to SE Tennessee or western North Carolina describe the current status of the “travel” situation there? Do we just call off this event, or has it already been called off? Or do some people just trickle in to an informal event as they see fit? Is Kickstand Lodge open?

NC is opening back up on May 8th, so barring something unexpected, I plan on going. KSL's website says they're opening for the 2020 season on May 8th. I think it's best to camp this year rather than stay in the bunk house like I did last year under these circumstances. I got some saddlebags for my SV so I can take all the camping gear. I don't mind doing take out or getting food at the grocery store if necessary. I hope to see you guys there!

We went through Harlan and Harlan County a few years ago on our roadster trip to Black Mountain. I don't think Harlan County is any different than the rest of the region. Harlan itself is nice. They had coal money once upon a time.

Untitled by jspringator, on Flickr

I would not hesitate to buy gas in Harlan. In fact, we did.

I loved Justified. I never missed an episode. But justified was fiction. When we got to town I asked someone where we could go to take a picture of the entire town that is on the show opening. They said no such place exists. Bloody Harlan has a reputation because of the coal miners not only standing up to the mine owners, but to the US Government that sent the Army there to break them. They were sick and tired of being taken advantage of, so they fought back.

It continued into the 70s.

Coal was not the panacea everyone seems to think of it today. Most of the money went to the wealth centers like New York City, and they weren't much for sharing with the little folks.

NC is opening back up on May 8th, so barring something unexpected, I plan on going. KSL's website says they're opening for the 2020 season on May 8th. I think it's best to camp this year rather than stay in the bunk house like I did last year under these circumstances. I got some saddlebags for my SV so I can take all the camping gear. I don't mind doing take out or getting food at the grocery store if necessary. I hope to see you guys there!

Thanks for the update. I’m still hoping to be able to go. At least its something to look forward to.

When I travel, I avoid eating at restaurants anyway, so there won’t be much change there. The camping experience is better when I do my own food preparation.

The date is in 2 weeks...I still think I am going...Probably bring tent this year and try the tenting thing (havent slept in a tent is 30 years).... as long as drive-thrus are open or grocery stores are open, I am good. Got to start getting some camping gear together...

This is from the governor. Part of phase 1 of his reopening plan. Someone interpret this.

• Modify the Stay At Home order allow travel not currently defined as essential allowing people to leave home for commercial activity at any business that is allowed to be open, such as clothing stores, sporting goods stores, book shops, houseware stores and other retailers.
  • Continue to limit gatherings to no more than 10 people
Note that there is a stay at home order, its modified to let you shop.

It's a good bet that restaurants won't be open for sit down service, but will for take out (as they have been all along). Food stores will also be open as they have been. Outdoor activities have been allowed which include riding and camping. I think if we maintain a reasonable distance at KSL, we should be in compliance. We probably won't have the usual Friday and Saturday night dinners :(

technically, I think riding for pleasure is out, but I've been doing just that. I think the group size will need to be very small, maybe pairs. You need to be on the way to a "commercial" activity, so have a grocery list.

I won't be there because of the need to take care of my wife.

I agree it would be best to ride in small groups. I doubt we'd get stopped, but if we did we could say we're going hiking. As long we all have the same story, we should be good.

Any out of state tag running around in NC is not going to fool LEs. They ain't stupid. But my tags are from FL not TN.

I am super busy right now but I think calling a couple of countys or sheriffs offices would garner some real time information.

Back