• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Keeping the Exhaust Downpipe Looking Good

Del Mar

Reaction score
Visit site
Is there any way of protecting the condition of the exhaust downpipe from getting rusty and looking plain daggy?

Several used NCs I've seen had really rough looking downpipes, not helped by all the spray and crud that goes straight through the cowl gap from the front wheel.

I use ACF-50 but not sure if it can be used on components that get hot.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2249.jpg
    IMG_2249.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 618
Oven cleaner works really well on header pipes usually. On my Bandit they'd get looking really bad as well. Mask off any painted areas/plastics (or apply it with a brush) and let it sit for a bit. Hose it off and voila!

st_easyoff_f.jpg

I haven't tried it on the NC yet, but don't see why it wouldn't work.

trey

So far I"m just letting it do what it wants to do. It's clean, but it's whatever color nature wants it to be.... kind of like my gray hair.

All things considered mine doesn't really look that bad. My bike has only been washed twice (not bragging or lazy) since I bought it and I pretty much let the rain do the rest. Yes it is a dark tan color but it doesn't look rusty. I like to call it the "seasoned look". I'm not so sure there is anyway you can keep it looking new. Best thing you can do is wash it off.

I guess if you really wanted to you could take the plastics off, scrub it with a wires brush, clean it throughly, and paint it with this. The have several colors VHT FlameProof? Coating

can0000flameproof.jpg

The word is "Patina". It is the in thing now.

Wikipedia said:
Patina (/ˈp©¡tɨnə/ or /pəˈti¢°nə/) is a tarnish that forms on the surface of copper, bronze and similar metals (produced by oxidation or other chemical processes); stone;[1] a sheen on wooden furniture produced by age, wear, and polishing; or any such acquired change of a surface through age and exposure. Patinas can provide a protective layer to materials that would otherwise be damaged by corrosion or weathering. They may also be aesthetically appealing. (emphasis mine) :)

Last edited:
Had a fiddle about today when applying the tank (frunk) protector - belly pan pops off nice and easy doesn't it?

Why the centre piece is a flat grey I'll never know - quickly gets ingrained with road dirt and doesn't clean up that well.

I may get it carbon wrapped instead - will look better and will be simple to clean.

The last time I cleaned a header I used some hydrochloric acid my grandfather had lying around. Worked like a charm, though having good gloves is key.

Back