• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Kaoko Throttle install

gannongs

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,
First time post. Looking to do some upgrades on my 2012 NC700x. Bought a Kaoko Throttle Lock. Things were going fine on the install for about 2 minutes. Then I ran into the problem of removing the handle bar insert via prying the spring tabs.

IMG_20200430_190703.jpg

For the life of me I cannot get this center piece out. The screw is there for something for a friend to pull on while I push the spring clamps inward. Any ideas? Am I missing something completely stupid?
I have shot a bunch of WD-40 down on it a few times but still no results.
Help! Please!

Loosen the front brake lever assembly so you can slide it towards the center of the bike. Remove the kill switch. Loosen the throttle body so you can slide it inwards. When you slide the throttle body in enough you will see some holes. In the holes you can see the spring clamps hooked into place. Depress the clips and slide out the internal weight.

I just finished installing my Kaoko TL and was trying to figure out how to get at the release clips. The clip wasn't coming out prying on the tabs at the end of the handlebar, like on some videos.

I ended up drilling 2 small holes in the throttle tube and hit the locations just right to expose the tabs that hold the weight in. The retaining tabs are in line with those on the bar end and are right at 3/4" inward. Used a small flat end punch and flattened the tabs down and the weight came out easily with a tap on the bar end screw with a nut on it.

Put some new grips on too, which covered the drill holes. Maybe not the best method, but I didn't have to disassemble the controls on the throttle side to get access. And I was putting new grips on anyway
Had a bit of trouble getting the throttle lock to slide into the handle bar easily. It comes with copper foil if it's too loose, but mine was too tight. There is a weld seam inside the handlebar that was causing it to jam so I had to do a bit of filing on it to open the hole where the TL slid in without jamming....

Need to see how it works now! Hope this helps someone.

Attachments

• IMG_1902 sm.JPG
    IMG_1902 sm.JPG
    220.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1903sm.JPG
    IMG_1903sm.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 18
  • HB Weight Clip.PNG
    HB Weight Clip.PNG
    72.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1904sm.JPG
    IMG_1904sm.JPG
    306.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I removed the bar end weight and stock throttle tube. It was then easy to depress the clips in the holes and remove the weight inside the handlebar.

I took the metal clip off the weight, lightly lubed the weight rubber rings with silicone grease, and re-inserted the weight into the bar pushing it in deeper to make room for the throttle lock. It won't go in too deep due to the bend in the bar. I could still reach the weight with the bar end screw to pull it out.

I reinstalled the throttle tube and installed the throttle lock. No difficulty at all, just a little extra time spent to remove the throttle tube.

I removed the bar end weight and stock throttle tube. It was then easy to depress the clips in the holes and remove the weight inside the handlebar.

I took the metal clip off the weight, lightly lubed the weight rubber rings with silicone grease, and re-inserted the weight into the bar pushing it in deeper to make room for the throttle lock. It won't go in too deep due to the bend in the bar. I could still reach the weight with the bar end screw to pull it out.

I reinstalled the throttle tube and installed the throttle lock. No difficulty at all, just a little extra time spent to remove the throttle tube.
Hey! Me too!

Interesting. I get a little bit of an amplified shimmy/vibration at 45 mph after installing the the throttle lock. It is barely noticeable with your hands on the bar, only if you go hands-off (for testing purposes!). Not sure if it is related to the fact that the Kaoko offers less damping weight, or if it was always there. I thought it might be related to the 8+ year old OEM front tire that was still on the bike, but I have replaced the tires and still the same.

I am curious if others have "death wobble", and if so what speed it is the highest intensity at. I did not leave the weight inside the bar.

Interesting. I get a little bit of an amplified shimmy/vibration at 45 mph after installing the the throttle lock. It is barely noticeable with your hands on the bar, only if you go hands-off (for testing purposes!). Not sure if it is related to the fact that the Kaoko offers less damping weight, or if it was always there. I thought it might be related to the 8+ year old OEM front tire that was still on the bike, but I have replaced the tires and still the same.

I am curious if others have "death wobble", and if so what speed it is the highest intensity at. I did not leave the weight inside the bar.
On almost every brand of bike riders will complain about a shimmy at 45 mph or usually more specifically at 50 decelerating to 40. Not all riders or bikes are afflicted and the reasons vary from tire pressure, to wheel balance to steering head tension to accessories mounted to rear of bike. In other words it's real common. People were complaining about it back in the 70's. Ask the manufacturers and they will tell you "never take both hands off the handlebars." It is highly unlikely the cruise has anything to do with it. You probably just noticed it after installing the cruise.

Last edited:

Post #10 is correct. There are several other posts on decel shake one most notable was after a new tire install where the owner supplied the tire to the installer. Owner wanted the installer to “FIX the decel hands off shake”.
Installer insisted it was normal and don’t take your hands off the bars. That started a heated debate/discussion on the forum.

Hands off the bars nibble or shake.........has nothing to do with the handle bars dampers. The bars dampers are there to dampen handle bar buzz Especially at higher RPM.

My VFR1200x has a slight shake after a new tire install.

That started a heated debate/discussion on the forum.
Yep, don't want to re-start that debate, or hijack this thread!

I am familiar with the fact that to some extent every 2-wheeled vehicle will shake hands-off on decel at a certain speed (or range of speeds). The front end has a natural resonance frequency based on a number of factors, including rake angle, weight of the bar bar ends, wheel balance, etc.

Mostly I was curious if anyone found that this resonant speed changed at all after installing the throttle lock or adjusting the bar end weight? I do thing the bar weights help for more than just "buzz", but certainly they do not significantly damp out this vibrational mode. If anything, they probably adjust it to a slower speed so the frequency is not as jarring on the hands.

Back