• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

just got my 16000 ml check up

Edword

Reaction score
Visit site
they put in new plugs, oil, oil filter, valves checked out just under $400, all seems good but the motor sounds more "wushy" could it be the oil ?

What means "wushy"?
I was told the plugs are iridium and they lasts 45000km.

My NC700X was also checked thoroughly and I got her back yesterday. 15500km.

Timing chain and tensioner broke last week and that was extra 800chf.

Sent from my LG-D955 using Tapatalk

Why not save yourself $350+ by doing it yourself? Valves are easy, plugs are plugs but were changed too soon, oil and filter are easy. These bikes are perfect to be owner maintained.

If the plugs were bad then it's an indication that something else is wrong. Do they know why the plugs failed so soon? Did they resolve that issue? Did they bring it to your attention that the plugs had failed prematurely and show you your old plugs explaining why they feel they needed to be replaced.

If they don't have some good answers I'd say it's time to start looking for another shop.

Why not save yourself $350+ by doing it yourself?

For folks who have good paying careers, but don't already have the tools and experience, not even counting the cost of parts, it could be cheaper to hires some one to do the work. I worked as a motorcycle mechanic many years ago and found out many people have no interest, or inclination for working on machines.

For folks who have good paying careers, but don't already have the tools and experience, not even counting the cost of parts, it could be cheaper to hires some one to do the work. I worked as a motorcycle mechanic many years ago and found out many people have no interest, or inclination for working on machines.

Working on your bike is part of the motorcycle experience, unless you're a "yuppie" who will last about a year and then sell their bike on Craigslist with almost no miles on it.

What means "wushy"?
I was told the plugs are iridium and they lasts 45000km.

My NC700X was also checked thoroughly and I got her back yesterday. 15500km.

Timing chain and tensioner broke last week and that was extra 800chf.

Sent from my LG-D955 using Tapatalk

How many miles on your bike when the timing chain broke? On autos I have only had a timing belt break after 100,000 miles on only one car. It seems a chain should be almost a lifetime part unless it was defective.

At the end of the day, it's whatever makes you happy. If you are fine with paying $400 with the maintenance that they did then I don't see any reason to fret. I have done all of my own work on my bike but today has been a ***** of a day changing my own tire. Took me over an hour to get the tire off the rim and I have been struggling to get the new one on for almost 2 hours and have to give up temporarily because I have an engagement that I need to attend. I do weight training and play ice hockey. I am in no way a weakling either. Breaking the bead was a cinch with the motion pro tool but getting the lip over the edge of the rim while doing my best not to scratch anything is a huge task. I was a little worried doing the swap myself with tire spoons and rim protectors and it has been far more difficult than expected. I have changed a ton of bicycle tires in my days but this is way more difficult. Might have to give up and take it to a local shop to finish the mounting.

Last edited:
Tire changing is not a feat of strength, it is technique. One cannot replace the other. Lots of lube and making sure that the opposite side is in the well of the wheel are key. So is having the wheel clamped so that it cannot move around on you and the disc is protected. But then, some tires are just a pain to mount. I got tired of fighting a tubed Michelin Pilot Activ on my son's BMW R75 and took it to a friend with a Coats RC-100. Presto change-o.

Coats is great. I have one, but never use it. Most times just the old fashion way, as if on the road. Tire irons, kick stand, and rachet work great most times. But like Beemerphile said, some times you will run into that tire that nothing works on. When you break the steel belt around the bead, you know you have had a bad day.

I just looked up a Coats RC 100. I need to get better friends. [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just looked up a Coats RC 100. I need to get better friends. [emoji15]

The way to buy one is from a shop going out of business. You would never justify a new one for personal use.

Or maybe OCR Will sell his to one of his bud's for say, peanuts - since he never uses it.

Did you at least get a chance to look at your old plugs or measure them? Spark plugs can tell a story about what's going on in your cylinders.

With regards to maintenance, some people just want to ride and don't care to know how anything works.
Nothing wrong with that, not everyone who loves riding also loves tinkering and reading the service manual in bed like I do. :)

I'll attempt anything once but sometimes I'll get to a point where I know when I'm out of my league (or don't have the proper tools) and will just bring it in.

For me it's a matter of not wanting to pay someone else for something I can do myself. I'm retired, I have plenty of time, and I have enjoyed doing my own wrenching since my uncle taught me how to rebuild a car engine when I was 15. But there are times I just don't feel like doing jobs that I don't enjoy, and the older I get the more of those there seem to be. I've changed motorcycle tires before, but brought the last one in because the memory of doing it myself wasn't all that pleasant. I've since discovered the zip tie method on Youtube though, so next time I may give that a try. But in terms of doing your own wrenching being a part of the motorcycle experience, I don't think it has to be. Some people have no interest in mechanics and they're willing to pay someone else to bust their knuckles for them. So why not? It keeps mechanics employed. Thankfully we aren't all clones of each other. It would be a boring world if we were.

There is no one right answer. I do my own work because I enjoy it, but also because I travel solo to out-of-the-way places. If you are going solo to Inuvik and the bike quits making putt-putt noises, you are $1,000 and tomorrow away from a tow truck. Might pay to know what makes it tick. Of course, that doesn't assure that you can get it running if parts you don't have are required.

I went to the first HU rally at Stecoah, NC (on my KLR) and there was a RTW traveler whose KLR wouldn't start when it was time to go on a dual sport ride. He had no idea what to do. Knowing some of the peculiarities of the bike, I went over and thwacked the starter relay with the back end of a screwdriver. The bike roared to life. The guy said it was amazing that I knew how to do that. I said, "No, it is amazing that you travel around the world on a motorcycle that you don't know anything about."

To the guy who's making big bucks and paying the mechanic is the cheaper way out - I get it. To the guy who travels within the confines of civilization or with company and doesn't enjoy or know mechanics - I get it. But the guy going RTW by himself on one without the ability to keep it making motorcycle noises? Well, I don't get that!

Well now, I am not a Yuppie, but am retired and I do not consider working on my motorcycle to be part of the "experience" that I need and I have been riding motorcycles now for over 60 years ! I don't believe that I have to, if needed, change out my furnace or water heater in my home to enjoy my home "experience". I also consider it unwise to sit at home and self diagnose yourself to gain the healthcare "experience". I don't even change the oil of our truck or car because for the little bit of money I would save, getting rid of the old oil and clean up, I make up for sitting in the waiting room having a cup of coffee or browsing around the showroom floor. Could I do some of the work myself ? I certainly could if I wanted but will admit in open court that I absolutely hate it - hate it - hate it. I honestly do not believe for one second that you have to totally immerse yourself into something you enjoy to gain the experience you seek from the activity.

Back