• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

It's A Dirty Cover Up......

Slo_Rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Good morning folks,

Yesterday, after I spent two hours trying to install my centerstand using several of the '5 minute' methods I got frustrated and knew I needed to take a break. Maybe I have some 'special' springs from 'Mother Honda' or just a weak ratchet strap but it just didn't work.

When I tried to put my cover back on the bike it just fell apart. There had been a few little cracks but as I tried to pull it into place the whole thing just disintegrated. It was supposed to be rated for outdoor use since the bike sits out behind my apartment but maybe 'Nelson Rigg' and I have a different definition of outdoor use.

Bottom line, after lunch I have to fight the centerstand springs again and order another cover.

Does anybody have a recommendation of a brand and model that will stand up to mother nature?

Slo_Rider

Last edited:
I had a devil of a time getting my centerstand on by myself as well. I grabbed a buddy and his hand strength was enough for him to position the stand for me to bolt it down.

I have the Honda cover and it's quite nice. Comparatively not inexpensive, but I have used it in a couple of nasty windstorms and it still looks new.

It also has little expandable zipouts for the saddlebags and trunk if you leave those on your bike, quite a cute design
I think I got mine off rockymountainatv for around 60 or 70

2 seasons in the driveway and my Nelson Rigg cover disintegrated as well. Bought a speedmetal cover that seems pretty soft and durable. We'll see how it last over time. Wish I had a garage!

David helped me, we ended up using the undercarriage of my car to get the leverage. Went on in just a few minutes. Were I solo, I definitely would have had issues.

Cover Up.......Springs

Any chance you have a link as to what makes it so hard to install?

Junkie,

To begin with, I have learned that I didn't know how to effectively use a ratchet strap. Sad, but true. YT has been quite the education.

Second, I had the covered part of the springs up near the engine case which might have been part of the reason. This may or not have been a factor.

Part of it is that I am old and not too flexible anymore and I am lying between my stoop steps and the bike.

No biggie, I am going to take it to the shop next week. If they charge me, it should only be a half hour of shop time.

And yes, I will very carefully bungee the centerstand so that it does not leave a trail of sparks on the way to the shop.:rolleyes:

Thanks for all the cover suggestions...........

Slo_Rider

So the hard part is getting the retention spring on?

Just curious, do you live in SLO? I went to school there and still visit fairly often.

Junkie,

That's it....if I had started earlier today I might have gotten the springs on but I didn't look at ratchet strap videos on YT until I had made a real FUBAR of it. Then it took an hour sitting here pondering whether or not to just throw the darn thing away, but everything is a learning experience if you let it be.

Currently I live in the midlands of South Carolina. Pretty state, but like all states, it has some issues.

Slo_Rider

Honda recommends an alternate method whereby you install the springs first and the grab the stand and lever it into place by hand. You then have a helper, who doesn’t need any strength, to tap the “axle” into place with a mallet while you align the stand with the holes. Install the retainer bolt and you’re done. The springs are already installed. I used this method without incident. But of course, a helper is required.

Honda recommends an alternate method whereby you install the springs first and the grab the stand and lever it into place by hand. You then have a helper, who doesn’t need any strength, to tap the “axle” into place with a mallet while you align the stand with the holes. Install the retainer bolt and you’re done. The springs are already installed. I used this method without incident. But of course, a helper is required.

That’s exactly what I ended up doing with my wonderful wife. Bingo. Took two minutes. :p

Cover recommendation and advice on install

Good morning folks,

Yesterday, after I spent two hours trying to install my centerstand using several of the '5 minute' methods I got frustrated and knew I needed to take a break. Maybe I have some 'special' springs from 'Mother Honda' or just a weak ratchet strap but it just didn't work.

When I tried to put my cover back on the bike it just fell apart. There had been a few little cracks but as I tried to pull it into place the whole thing just disintegrated. It was supposed to be rated for outdoor use since the bike sits out behind my apartment but maybe 'Nelson Rigg' and I have a different definition of outdoor use.

Bottom line, after lunch I have to fight the center stand springs again and order another cover.

Does anybody have a recommendation of a brand and model that will stand up to mother nature?

Slo_Rider

My bike is kept outside and I use a:
Dowco Guardian Weatherall Plus EZ Zip Motorcycle Cover
SKU: 258941
Color: Black
Size: 2XL
I purchased the larger cover to accommodate a tall windscreen, handguards, topbox and panniers.
On the center stand spring install I viewed a Youtube video where the owner used heavy cord tied around the rear tire with a loop for the springs. You roll the bike forward to pull the spring to the rear and flex the line to engage hooks and the stand. This method worked for me with the OEM center stand.

My bike is kept outside and I use a:
Dowco Guardian Weatherall Plus EZ Zip Motorcycle Cover
SKU: 258941
Color: Black
Size: 2XL
I purchased the larger cover to accommodate a tall windscreen, handguards, topbox and panniers.
On the center stand spring install I viewed a Youtube video where the owner used heavy cord tied around the rear tire with a loop for the springs. You roll the bike forward to pull the spring to the rear and flex the line to engage hooks and the stand. This method worked for me with the OEM center stand.

A_B,

Thanks for the response and the YT link. He makes some good points and I will need to order one tonight and will look carefully at the Dowco EZ Zip.......Actually I might go by 'Cycle Gear' today to see that they have in stock.

As for the centerstand springs....I might give it one more try but I am inclined to just take it to the shop and hope they only charge me for a half hour of shop time.

Since I will be by myself I am hesitant to try the rolling method since I could easily dump the bike, and it would probably be against my concrete and brick stoop or the neighbors stoop. Neither would be good for the plastics.

Thanks again,
Slo_Rider

I used the ratchet strap method and I think some heavy duty wire to pull the spring into place. Maybe a thick plastic zip tie would work too.
Don't stoop down. Sit or kneel on cardboard when working on your bike, like I started to once I hit my 50's.

As for the cover- were you keeping it outdoors in an area where it gets sun? I've been through numerous car covers that practically disintegrate because my carport receives a lot of sun and tons of pollutants (and ash from all the fires). I think the materials that make the cover water resistant will break down from that stuff (and maybe acid rain too, though mine never get wet).
So I just buy the least expensive ones that work, instead of the most expensive that only last a few years.
I used a bike cover for both my previous bikes and it's looking like new. Probably because it never saw the sun or water.

It's a Dirty cover Up.........

I used the ratchet strap method and I think some heavy duty wire to pull the spring into place. Maybe a thick plastic zip tie would work too.
Don't stoop down. Sit or kneel on cardboard when working on your bike, like I started to once I hit my 50's.

As for the cover- were you keeping it outdoors in an area where it gets sun? I've been through numerous car covers that practically disintegrate because my carport receives a lot of sun and tons of pollutants (and ash from all the fires). I think the materials that make the cover water resistant will break down from that stuff (and maybe acid rain too, though mine never get wet).
So I just buy the least expensive ones that work, instead of the most expensive that only last a few years.
I used a bike cover for both my previous bikes and it's looking like new. Probably because it never saw the sun or water.

SilverRocket......

Thanks for the response. Monday is supposed to be warm and possibly dry so I am going to try the ratchet strap again. This time I am just going to try using a small length of cordage on the non ratcheting side so I will have more pull room. My ratchet strap is pretty large so at it's shortest length it is still about 8" long and just using cordage may help. I know that is an odd explanation but that is my best effort.

I ended up buying a Dowco Guardian cover which is nice unit but I initially bought a 2xl which I had to send back for an xl. Even that is a bit generous but if I ever put panniers on the bike it might be a better fit. My bike is outside and receives about 4 hours of sun per day so hopefully this one will last more than a year.

Thanks for the thoughts and maybe the sun will eventually come out and maybe I can rework my pavers to give myself a wee bit better place to kneel or lay.

Thanks again,
Slo_Rider

Last edited:
If you ever need to remove it, (I read about someone who had his center stand chromed) put pennies, or whatever coins fit between the coils of the outstretched spring, remove the spring, chrome and replace, remove the coins and your spring is in place happy.

Back