• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Is the NCX for me ??.

Nortwestrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all,Alan from Seattle WA here.I'm thinking about selling my DL1000 and my GS850 sidecar rig and buying a new X.I'm 50 years old,I have been riding for about 45 years and I ride everyday year round.I use my DL for commuting everyday and the round trip is about 40 miles of which 60% is freeway and 40% is local/stop and go.I get around 37 mpg from the DL and would hope to better that by atleast 35-50% with a X.I also do a lot of touring and some light ( dirt roads ) offroad.We are heading up to Deadhorse in June and plan on doing a lot more long distance touring.I want a NEW bike with a warrenty and at $6,999 it REALLY sounds good.I'm hoping that the X doesn't have any or few problems from the factory.My DL had fueling issues and clutch basket issues AND charging issues from the factory and the owners don't seem to care and buy them anyway so Suzuki never saw a need to fix them.

Is the X for me ??:confused::cool:

The NCX returns great fuel mileage. For me, I would definitely get a Russell Day Long seat or (your choice) for a trip like that. A long ride on the NC's seat is a painful experience for me.
The only problem that I'm aware of is the recalled non Japan chain. But I'm just under 5,000 miles still.
My fuel mileage has dropped down to the high 50's when the cold temps hit. I ride close to the speed limit (65-75 mph)to work and in freezing temps.
My high is around 76 mpg with relaxed riding in the summer.

As long as you're not expecting a crotch rocket and use sensible tires when on the dirt, I think you'll enjoy the X just fine. It'll get better than you're hoping for on fuel economy and still beat any (normal) car off the line effortlessly. Every bike needs adjustments to it's rider, but the X has a really nice head start compared to many in it's class.
The seat height (not the seat cushion) gives a good view of the road.
The pegs aren't too cramped and put your feet below your center mass.
The handlebars are within comfortable reach with a slightly forward torso angle (good for forcing you to arch your back and keep good posture).
The windshield sucks, but it's got a nice sturdy attachment point which leaves a lot of options open.
The service intervals are reasonably spaced which leaves maintenance costs low.
There's plenty of aftermarket options with more coming out every month.

Only you can decide if it's for you. It sure as hell is for me.
For a frame of reference, I had decided on a DL650 (the '12 Glee) or a DL1000 as my next bike until I found this one. I struggled with that decision pretty fiercely. It came down to utility and economy; the storage, fuel mileage and super low center of gravity swayed me pretty hard for the NC700X.

Last edited:
I'm a similar age and I do a 90 mile commute each day. The X returns 74mpg (that's UK gallons) and I don't have an issue with the seat, it is quite slippery if you wear textile pants. I did 849 miles in three days wearing leathers and the seat was perfect.

Fortunately it's a Honda so build quality and engineering are to a high level.

If you are buying a new one then the chain recall shouldn't be an issue.

There are plenty of accessories available to make the bike your own.

The bottom line is it's a great all rounder.

Try a test ride, hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I'm a similar age and I do a 90 mile commute each day. The X returns 74mpg (that's UK gallons) and I don't have an issue with the seat, it is quite slippery if you wear textile pants. I did 849 miles in three days wearing leathers and the seat was perfect.

Fortunately it's a Honda so build quality and engineering are to a high level.

If you are buying a new one then the chain recall shouldn't be an issue.

There are plenty of accessories available to make the bike your own.

The bottom line is it's a great all rounder.

Try a test ride, hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I agree with you on all those points except the seat which is ok for my 76 miles a day commute but I wouldn't want to use it over any real distance. i guess it is because we are built differantly

Thanks all,I will get a seat made at some point.I have a Rick Mayer seat on my V now and love it,I will probably have him build me one for the X.Most of my NON commuting trips are around 500 miles on Average,and the big trip this summer will be 6,000+ miles in 23 days.I have alot of experience with DS tires,I have run..EXP's,Anakees,Trail wings,TKC's and my favorite Shinko 705's.I will be running the 705's on both my bikes for the trip to Deadhorse in June.One other thing,how many miles are people getting out of a set of sprockets and a chain???.I only got around 12,000 out of a set on my V.

Bought one,rode it for almost 50,000 miles.GREAT street bike,not so good as a ADV bike.
Traded it in on a new KLR650 and couldn't be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

60mi (120 with a lunch break half way) with stock seat and short screen is just fine on my 2012 ncx, and even 140mi on the interstate hwy(5m break half way) is bearable, just need to adjust seating position. But then, I'm 5'7", 26.5yrs and 123lbs, so ymmv.

How tall are you? The bike's seat can be lowered, but it is pretty tall stock.

I've got 17 k on my sprockets with lots to go. I replaced my chain at 9000 and thats just because I didn't want to worry about it on my 6500 mile trip this past summer.
On mine I did the following.
Givi crash bars, racks, panniers, top box
Madstad screen
Bark buster hand guards
Seat concepts saddle
Highway pegs
Dales rear rack
Oxford heated grips
bash plate
center stand

I negotiated some of this with the dealer when I purchased the bike. I gave them an online price and they met it on the givi gear, center stand. They usually price match tires for me too.

I'm 63 and this will probably be my last new purchase.

20160611_135437_zpssudqu5nb-L.jpg

Last edited:
Check your inseam.

How tall are you? The bike's seat can be lowered, but it is pretty tall stock.

Hank is correct. The NC700X is a great bike if you aren't looking for a racer or a cruiser but it is a TALL bike. I would advise that you go to a dealer and sit on one. Go for a test ride if you can. There are lowering kits but if you can't even tip-toe it at a stop, then you're never going to really be comfortable. And isn't comfort really what you want in a bike?

Techrat

I'm 5'7" and toe it. I would think if you handle the Strom you are ok on the NC. I did get the low version of the Seat Concepts.

A DL1000 is a super bike and hard to beat of all the bikes I have owned it was among the very best ,think hard befor you give her up. If you do go with the NCX you will get much lest power but will be able to do interstste speeds with ease and return great mpg. You must decide do you need power or can you deal with less to get mpg ? Can you light tour on th NC YES just at a little slower pace , but to smell the rosses is not bad its a good thing !
Bandit

The VStrom has the same seat height as the Honda Africa Twin with seat in lower position. However, the Africa Twin has a even lowered seat you can purchase from Honda at a fair price.

People, be aware this thread is 4 years old! The OP has plenty of experience (almost 50,000 miles) with the NC700X. He came, he saw, he moved on!

People, be aware this thread is 4 years old! The OP has plenty of experience (almost 50,000 miles) with the NC700X. He came, he saw, he moved on!

And then revived it yesterday, saying he bought a KLR. Best wishes Nortwestrider.

In a perfect world I would have kept the NC for pavement and bought a DRZ400 for dual sporting.But I have to many bikes so the NC had to go,but the KLR fills both roles pretty well.
57b4260ea58953faed3f9d41b740de1b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back