• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Is the NC750x dct a good beginners bike?

Define low-speed?

I don't get the low speed maneuvering issue at all. I've never had an issue whatsoever. I suppose I could see it MAYBE being an issue for certain offroad scenarios, but on pavement, or any other type of hard surface, I can't see how this is an issue at all. You let off the throttle, the bike doesn't keep going.....need to slow down, use front or rear brake just as you would with something with a clutch and foot shifter. I've been in congested parking lots, people's driveways, congested downtown city traffic, stop-and-go traffic on the interstate, etc. Not one time have I thought "man I wish I had a clutch to feather."

1st and 2nd gear.

"I've been in congested parking lots, people's driveways, congested downtown city traffic, stop-and-go traffic on the interstate, etc. Not one time have I thought "man I wish I had a clutch to feather."

I have no issue in these areas either.

I have noticed (as have others) that in extreme situations where the angles of turn and or slope are sufficiently sharp to require very slow going, the DCT system can drop abruptly into 1st gear and for a beginner this could be destabilising. I have seen this mentioned in various fora and not just related to NC's. Some of the hairpins where I have personally experienced this are very extreme. None of the situations You have quoted above are relevant.

I think the NC750X is a great first bike. Although it weighs about 500 lbs the low center of gravity makes it feel like a much lighter bike. It is modestly powered and has good predictable handling characteristics. It will do most everything a novice or seasoned rider will ask of it. This bike seems to appeal to both new riders and to more seasoned riders that appreciate it's do-it-all qualities. Cheap (relatively) to buy, cheap to insure, cheap to operate and it is easy maintain. I'm talking myself into a third one here.
dduelin. Thanks for taking the time to help me with your thoughts. If your comments help to talk yourself into a third one then I am even more happy I asked the question.

Can't think of a better beginner bike, especially for someone of your size. I am about the same size and you will find the NC to be easily manageable in all aspects. You won't regret choosing an NC. And even on the pre-2021 models, you wouldn't have an issue flat footing those either, and finding an earlier model would save you some money too! Good luck!
Thanks TacomaJD. I appreciate your comments. I have/do look at pre-2021 models but what I have found is that most bikes that I find that are dct are priced close enough to the 2021 that it doesn't seem prudent to save a small amount for what I perceive as benefits in the new model. I will continue to look at what's in the marketplace until I am able to make a final decision, and that will mean a test at local dealership(s). I get the feeling it may be a while, but that will only serve to allow me to gather more information from others who will be able to purchase their 2021 and share comments.

My NC700X manual is my first motorcycle. Went from BMX bikes to the NC as far as two-wheeled transportation goes. Mine had lowering links and Rox bar risers installed by the previous owner so it's almost at the perfect height for me now and I'm 5'8. I can't flat foot it on both feet, but it's not far off. At 6' I'd imagine you should be able to flat foot it at the stock height. If you're looking at a brand new 2021, they are already lower than the 2012-2020s.

So far, I've found the NC to be very easy to learn on and extremely forgiving. I don't find low speed maneuvering particularly challenging, and I LOVE the frunk. When it comes to a daily commuter bike that is a killer feature. The power is plenty adequate for a first bike without being too much or being too boring.

That being said, are you absolutely married to having a DCT? A lot of slow speed maneuvering is made more difficult with no clutch to feather and this may be an impediment for a new rider.
superchargedv6. Thanks for sharing your experience with me. I wouldn't say I am absolutely married to a dct but it is my preference at this point.

Thanks TacomaJD. I appreciate your comments. I have/do look at pre-2021 models but what I have found is that most bikes that I find that are dct are priced close enough to the 2021 that it doesn't seem prudent to save a small amount for what I perceive as benefits in the new model. I will continue to look at what's in the marketplace until I am able to make a final decision, and that will mean a test at local dealership(s). I get the feeling it may be a while, but that will only serve to allow me to gather more information from others who will be able to purchase their 2021 and share comments.
Be aware that very recently it appears that Honda has increased the 2021 NC750X price by $300. Also, in the current market it seems that some dealers that in the past did not tack on freight fees may now be doing so on new models.

If you’re not set on DCT, the Honda CB500X is a beginner friendly model, in my opinion. It carries it’s weight a little higher than the NC, but weighs less overall. The engine has very linear power delivery, and the fuel economy is nearly as good as the NC.

Griff and TacomaJD.
I value the opportunity to read your postings because it brings to light considerations that I have to admit that I haven't made, specifically, and frankly, have passed off as those are the things I have to learn/experience.
One of the beliefs I have is that control under low throttle will be enhanced by ride by wire and that coming off the throttle with appropriate breaking will be somewhat similar to being in the friction zone. Possibly the incorrect thinking of a neophyte but your discussion which leads to my thinking about it is most appreciated.
Thanks again.

Used prices can be crazy but you must think that if you find one that has, for example, Honda OEM hard cases and/or top box, that's easily $1,000-$1,300 just for parts, not counting what you'd have to pay someone to install it all if you weren't comfortable doing it yourself. And then look at other things that may be on used bikes like aftermarket seats, exhaust (again, not cheap), engine guards, etc.

Buying a new bike, it will be bone stock at the showroom price, and then come taxes/fees, and whatever else you want to spend on it to get it to where you want it like the items mentioned above. Just be mindful of all options and do what you're most comfortable with and that you'll be most happy with. For some, that's buying new and being the first owner.

I bought a 2016 NC700X DCT last year from the original owner and it had the oem Honda side cases, rear rack, and top box on it, with Givi hand guards and a 12v outlet installed in the frunk. It was stock otherwise. Only had 4,100 miles on it and in mint condition. I gave the guy $6,300 for it. I almost pulled trigger on a brand new 2020 NC750X because I loooooove that all black look. But it was gonna be $8,900 for the bike, plus all the other stuff I wanted on it. I came out way ahead buying the 2016. I have almost doubled the miles on it in less than a year than what the previous owner put on it in the 4+ years he owned it. Lol

Be aware that very recently it appears that Honda has increased the 2021 NC750X price by $300. Also, in the current market it seems that some dealers that in the past did not tack on freight fees may now be doing so on new models.

If you’re not set on DCT, the Honda CB500X is a beginner friendly model, in my opinion. It carries it’s weight a little higher than the NC, but weighs less overall. The engine has very linear power delivery, and the fuel economy is nearly as good as the NC.
I think I read something about the $300 price increase recently within the forums discussing whether members had purchased their 2021 NC750x as of yet but don't remember exactly but I am glad that you bring it up 670cc. I very much appreciate your comments on consideration of an alternative, the Honda CB500X, and a short description of why. Thanks very much 670cc. It will certainly give me something to compare and consider.

Used prices can be crazy but you must think that if you find one that has, for example, Honda OEM hard cases and/or top box, that's easily $1,000-$1,300 just for parts, not counting what you'd have to pay someone to install it all if you weren't comfortable doing it yourself. And then look at other things that may be on used bikes like aftermarket seats, exhaust (again, not cheap), engine guards, etc.

Buying a new bike, it will be bone stock at the showroom price, and then come taxes/fees, and whatever else you want to spend on it to get it to where you want it like the items mentioned above. Just be mindful of all options and do what you're most comfortable with and that you'll be most happy with. For some, that's buying new and being the first owner.

I bought a 2016 NC700X DCT last year from the original owner and it had the oem Honda side cases, rear rack, and top box on it, with Givi hand guards and a 12v outlet installed in the frunk. It was stock otherwise. Only had 4,100 miles on it and in mint condition. I gave the guy $6,300 for it. I almost pulled trigger on a brand new 2020 NC750X because I loooooove that all black look. But it was gonna be $8,900 for the bike, plus all the other stuff I wanted on it. I came out way ahead buying the 2016. I have almost doubled the miles on it in less than a year than what the previous owner put on it in the 4+ years he owned it. Lol
Point well taken TacomaJD. Being a noobie my thinking included a hesitancy of buying used when I could not be sure of what to ask/look for when getting a sense of whether, mechanically, the bike was sound. Any guidance that you and others could provide would be appreciated. Thanks!

Point well taken TacomaJD. Being a noobie my thinking included a hesitancy of buying used when I could not be sure of what to ask/look for when getting a sense of whether, mechanically, the bike was sound. Any guidance that you and others could provide would be appreciated. Thanks!
They are very reliable bikes, as in Honda's nature with all their other bikes. I'd suggest taking someone with you to look at a used one should you consider that path, someone that may be more knowledgeable about bikes. As long as the bike is in good shape, appears to have been taken care of, and all the visible moving parts appear to be in good shape, you should be good to go. But again I stress, do what you're comfortable with. If you bought a bad apple used bike, it could turn into a bad experience. Usually bad apple bikes can be picked out though, and signs of owner-neglect are very apparent.

Regarding clutched manual transmissions and no clutch automatic shifting transmissions I’d like to offer up that many riders my age started riding on small displacement Hondas that were equipped with centrifugal clutch 3 and 4 speed transmissions. They have toe levers to change gears but no clutch to manipulate. As you open the throttle the clutch begins to engage and off you go. Similar to DCT today you learned to drag a little rear brake at slow speeds and that’s just the way it was. Learning to ride without a clutch proved no impediment to later mastering manual motorcycles and cars. I believe you can learn basic riding skills on either type bike without increased risk. The issue of an unexpected gear change is offset by DCTs inability to stall the engine when too many things are happening at once and a novice stalls the bike in an intersection or on a steep grade.

Last edited:
Regarding clutched manual transmissions and no clutch automatic shifting transmissions I’d like to offer up that many riders my age started riding on small displacement Hondas that were equipped with centrifugal clutch 3 and 4 speed transmissions. They have toe levers to change gears but no clutch to manipulate. As you open the throttle the clutch begins to engage and off you go. Similar to DCT today you learned to drag a little rear brake at slow speeds and that’s just the way it was. Learning to ride without a clutch proved no impediment to later mastering manual motorcycles and cars. I believe you can learn basic riding skills on either type bike without increased risk. The issue of an unexpected gear change is offset by DCTs inability to stall the engine when too many things are happening at once and a novice stalls the bike in an intersection or on a steep grade.
That's exactly how my first bike was! Yamaha PW80. Clutchless 3 speed foot shift. I rode the wheels off that thing, then moved up to a Kawasaki KE100, Honda CRF230, CRF250R, etc.

I generally agree with everyone's comments in this thread. However, I'm not sure the NC series makes for a good beginners bike.

You won't get to experience other kinds of bikes as quickly because you won't want to sell your NC or get a different bike. It's a great all-around bike. I can't imagine selling mine

I'll throw my thoughts in.........I normally advise a noobie to get a used 250/300 CBR/Ninja or Rebel as their first bike since you can or could get one for ~2k ride it for a year to learn and better decide what you want long term. You can sell it a year later for basically the same price. They are easy to pickup when you drop it and you will most likely drop the bike in your first year......Your height is an issue for the small bikes though. I'm 6'1 and sitting on the small bikes can be very cramped and on many of the cruiser style bikes my knees hit the bars. 250/300 dual sports like the CRF250/300L make for great first bikes for someone taller. Ergonomics are better (I have added bar risers, slightly lower pegs, and tall seat to mine), they are tough so drops generally don't hurt it, minimum plastics that are relatively cheep to replace, and easy to ride and pick up. They are also a cheaper bike to purchase and insurance is usually lower. Downside to the 250/300 size bikes is they are not good on the interstate though they are great around town.
Having said all of that, the NC is also a friendly bike for new riders that can last you a long time. The low COG and instant torque make for a friendly bike and it is good around town, in the twisties, and interstate. As for clutch vs DCT, with either you have to learn techniques for low speed maneuvers. Clutch bike you have to learn how to slip the clutch and with DCT you have to learn to drag the rear brake. I think the almost impossible to stall DCT is a better choice for a new rider. Lets you learn all of the other aspects of riding (learning to use your eyes correctly is one of the most important parts of riding) without having to work a clutch plus you don't have to learn shifting up and down at first but you can use the paddles to shift up/down and even run it it manual mode to get used to shifting up and down all the time. You can always learn a clutch later and in my opinion it will be easier to learn clutch later since you already have the other aspects ingrained into your head and muscles. I actually have my NC sitting higher than stock for off-road and because even flat footed my legs were sticking a good bit to the side to not have my knees bent so much. With you at 200# I would go ahead and and have the dealership max out the preload on the rear shock for you.
Welp that was my 2cents or maybe 1cent, 1/2 cent anyone????

I generally agree with everyone's comments in this thread. However, I'm not sure the NC series makes for a good beginners bike.

You won't get to experience other kinds of bikes as quickly because you won't want to sell your NC or get a different bike. It's a great all-around bike. I can't imagine selling mine
So keep it then buy a 2nd bike that fits whichever extreme direction you want to go based on how your riding style interests develop (offroad, super sport, etc).

First let me thank Bamamate and Janus for their insightful comments, as well as the additional comments from TacomaJD and dduelin. I have learned from the many experiences shared by everyone in this thread and can't thank everyone enough who gave of their knowledge and time in response to my question. Contributors have identified considerations that I had not even thought about should the situation warrant them and that is invaluable. At this point I think the next step is for me to wait, hopefully a short time, before I can sit/test the 2021 NC750 dct. Again, everyone please accept my sincere thanks.

After a little less than 2 weeks since my last posting I decided to proceed by keeping my options open by watching the marketplace for a 2021 NC750x dct; reading the posting of members who have purchased and are riding their 2021s, and also at previously owned NC750 dcts for sale.
Especially keeping everyone's sharing in mind I have even ventured out to look at 2015, 2016 and 2018 bikes, thus far only at dealerships. I must be doing something wrong because it doesn't seem like anyone wishes to sell me a bike. I went to look at the 2018 and walked into the dealership and a salesperson came over and asked if he could help me. I told him that I wanted to see the 2018 750 dct, and take a short ride on the dealership grounds if I could. That was the last time he and I interacted. No one else in the dealership seemed interested in helping me.
I then went to look at the 2015. When entering that dealership I was again greeted by a salesperson who didn't see the bike but looked on his computer and found it was in the shop. He offered to take me in the back to look at the back, asked me if I wanted to sit on it, he and I gave it a once over and said that if I wanted to ride it I would have to come back as they were changing the back tire and doing some other work on it. I gave him my contact information and asked him for an out-the-door price. He said that he would call me later that day. No call. I called him the next day, and left a message. No return call. I expect to return to the dealership next Tuesday.
Finally the third dealership to look at the 2016. I thought that I would contact the dealership prior to traveling there and set up an appointment to meet with a salesperson the next day. I arrived at the dealership but was told that the individual was not working that day and since I set up a meeting with that person I would have to come back the next day to follow-up.
If I am doing something wrong can someone tell me what it is? I just don't understand.
Thanks in advance.

After a little less than 2 weeks since my last posting I decided to proceed by keeping my options open by watching the marketplace for a 2021 NC750x dct; reading the posting of members who have purchased and are riding their 2021s, and also at previously owned NC750 dcts for sale.
Especially keeping everyone's sharing in mind I have even ventured out to look at 2015, 2016 and 2018 bikes, thus far only at dealerships. I must be doing something wrong because it doesn't seem like anyone wishes to sell me a bike. I went to look at the 2018 and walked into the dealership and a salesperson came over and asked if he could help me. I told him that I wanted to see the 2018 750 dct, and take a short ride on the dealership grounds if I could. That was the last time he and I interacted. No one else in the dealership seemed interested in helping me.
I then went to look at the 2015. When entering that dealership I was again greeted by a salesperson who didn't see the bike but looked on his computer and found it was in the shop. He offered to take me in the back to look at the back, asked me if I wanted to sit on it, he and I gave it a once over and said that if I wanted to ride it I would have to come back as they were changing the back tire and doing some other work on it. I gave him my contact information and asked him for an out-the-door price. He said that he would call me later that day. No call. I called him the next day, and left a message. No return call. I expect to return to the dealership next Tuesday.
Finally the third dealership to look at the 2016. I thought that I would contact the dealership prior to traveling there and set up an appointment to meet with a salesperson the next day. I arrived at the dealership but was told that the individual was not working that day and since I set up a meeting with that person I would have to come back the next day to follow-up.
If I am doing something wrong can someone tell me what it is? I just don't understand.
Thanks in advance.
Be more assertive? Get stern with them, talk to a manager? Don't be passive with high expectations on their end. I'm not saying accept what they are doing, because it sounds like those dealers are ran like crap.....but if they have a bike, and it's for sale, and you want to know more about it and a price, get on their asses and make them tell you what you need to know. Sometimes you just have to "be a dick" to get it done.

Back