• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Is rear shock adjustable?

"...They simply reposition the spring on the shock, thereby raising or lowering the back of the bike...670cc"

Perhaps semantics but the spring stays in the same place. It is slightly shorter/longer (compared to free length) depending on the position of the adjuster rings. ;);)

"...They simply reposition the spring on the shock, thereby raising or lowering the back of the bike...670cc"

Perhaps semantics but the spring stays in the same place. It is slightly shorter/longer (compared to free length) depending on the position of the adjuster rings. ;);)

If you change the position of the shock adjuster rings, when the rider is on the bike, both the spring length and the spring rate will be the same as before, assuming the shock has not reached its upper or lower limit of travel.

Buy another shock and please don't restart the "shock thread" because everyone has their own favorite shock!

Ok, let me qualify my question: To any of you who have stuck with the original shock, what have you done when you ride two-up or change style of riding from time to time?

I've never carried a passenger on my NC so I had an easy task.

Those of you who do carry passengers on occasion will probably have to find a compromise setting that is a little too stiff when solo and a little too soft for 120+ pounds on the pillion. I'm suggesting one setting for both because readjusting it each time is a real PIA since working room to get at the adjuster/lock rings is almost non-existent.

Thanks everyone ... I did it.

MYSELF AS RIDER

Height = 5'-9"
Self = 170 lbs
Clothes = 10 lbs
Frunk = 15 lbs
Tailbag = 15 lbs
Total = 210 lbs

PRELOAD CRITERIA

Rear wheel travel, max extension = 120 mm
Sport bike: set preload sag to 20% to 30% of total travel.
Sport bike: set preload sag to 24 mm to 36 mm
Road bike: set preload sag to 30% to 35% of total travel.
Road bike: set preload sag to 36 mm to 42 mm

I'll shoot for 40 mm travel, which should be reasonable comfortable for this commuter.
This is 1/3 of the maximum available travel of 120 mm.

MEASURING SAG

I rigged up a simple apparatus to measure sag on the rear suspension. This involved a FM-Radio antenna, which collapses. This was taped to the rear link-arm, and was positioned to collapse when I later sat on the bike. The resulting gap in the compressed antenna indicated the initial sag. It read 60 to 65 mm. Too much; lets increase preload on shock.

I tried using a C-spanner but it failed to engage the teeth of the shock's rings. However, many tech's apparently use a punch and hammer. That is what I used. After 1 minute of modest and persistent tapping the top ring, it separated from the bottom ring.

SETTING PRELOAD

I marked the bottom ring, then proceeded to drive it to increase the preload. I turned it 4 full revolutions. It appeared that perhaps 2 more revolutions were remaining, available for further preload, but I didn't utilize that extra reserve.

I repeated of my sag test; it indicated the sag had diminished to 40 mm overall. Good.

I relocked the top ring against the bottom ring, which required about four transitions of the mated teeth of the two rings.
Thanks for the FM antenna idea! I didn't have an FM antenna, but I had something better: a telescoping rod with a magnetic end that is used for fishing nuts and bolts out of hard-to-reach places. The magnetic end attaches well to the swingarm on the throttle-side and negates the need to use tape to hold it in place.

Attachments

• PXL_20220102_074919027.jpg
    PXL_20220102_074919027.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 30
Reading the disagreements between suspension "experts", is almost as entertaining as reading the disagreements between oil "experts".

thank you.
i knew it was preload. the other posts talk about adjusting the preload with locking adjusting rings not a ramp adjuster.
i did not know if the ramp adjuster was on all 2021's ?
That is correct. Previous models have a threaded ring for preload adjustment.

Back