• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

iPhones and Motorcycle Vibration

I stopped reading this article very early on, when I saw, "high-amplitude vibrations, “specifically those generated by high-power motorcycle engines”. The authors apparently have little knowledge of causes of motorcycle engine vibration, as I don't see a direct comparison between power output and vibration.

Reactions: MZ5
Quad Lock sells a vibration dampener for this purpose: https://www.quadlockcase.com/products/vibration-dampener?variant=32819777372235

VibrationDampener_1024x768-Render_710x.jpg

Click bait.

The article could be better titled "motion sensitive or motion damping cameras can be damaged by vibration" but what shutterbug doesn't know that for the last 20 years?

This issue is all over the web including on the Apple support site two days ago. Sure it shows that there isn't a full understanding of the matter, but I have no doubt that harsh vibes of any frequency can damage fine electronic equipment. Even my old Dominator with its low frequency vibes, is well capable of rattling the solder on the circuit board of its CDI box loose, thereby causing failure. and it is a known problem despite its rubber mounting.

Touratech have been making vibration damping mounts for GPS's for years and imho to good effect. My old 2007 550 Zumo is still working perfectly because of a TT mount while many others using the standard mount that I know of have failed long since.

This issue is all over the web including on the Apple support site two days ago....
I think we discussed it here??? months (or a year) ago. I know it has been discussed on a bunch of the FB moto-groups a while back too. Is there something new that I'm missing?

I've been riding with Apple iPhones for years. My current iPhone mounts next to my Spot, on a QuadLock. 6500 miles with this phone without an issue. No issues with prior iPhones.

tempImageSyUL2Z.jpg

I don't think engine vibration is your enemy as much as the random city pothole. Yes, common sense says that vibration is bad for electronics, including miniaturized electronics. There are a lot of variables, primarily the axis of the vibration. Bottom line: No, vibration is not good for your phone. Yes, some will survive, but in the end, it's not good for it.

I’ve used smart phones on bikes for years, but the issue I’ve seen is them overheating and shutting down on hot days in direct sun. Had it happen on my Wing and FJR-finally just got a motorcycle gps and carry the phone in a pocket

I’ve used smart phones on bikes for years, but the issue I’ve seen is them overheating and shutting down on hot days in direct sun. Had it happen on my Wing and FJR-finally just got a motorcycle gps and carry the phone in a pocket
I've never had one that shut down unless it was in a map case in direct sun.

My iPhone has only indicated overheating when I’m snow skiing in temperatures in the single digits (Farenheit). No kidding. When the phone gets too cold the message displayed is that it’s too hot. They call these “smart phones”.

Multiple iPhones have shut down on me due to overheating. They were in OtterBoxes or other cases (some without face covers). The southern AZ sun in the summer will shut them all down. They don’t shut down every time all the time, but all of them have shut down.
If you’d like to see yours overheat and shut down, send it to me.
(-;

Back